`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New PC and it's gonna be expensive. :-(

New PC and it's gonna be expensive. :-(
So I decided I am going to try to chase down an original card of all the 1919 "Black Sox". Shoeless Joe will probably be the most expensive, but Fred McMullin only has ONE CARD. (Ugh)

I realize it's a longshot, but if anyone has any, let me know!! I already have a 1911 Ed Cicotte and 1909 Chick Gandil, still looking for:

- Oscar "Hap" Felsch
- "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
- Fred McMullin
- Charles "Swede" Risberg
- George "Buck" Weaver
- Claude "Lefty" Williams

I would also be interested in any of the other players from that team that weren't banned. Already have a Red Faber and Ray Schalk, looking for the rest.

It's not really for investment purposes, it's more of an interest thing so I am not terribly concerned with condition. (Especially since so many cards of the era were hand cut.) Let me know if you can help!

RE: New PC and it's gonna be expensive. :-(
I don't have any but I would love to see scans of your progress! This looks like a very cool project.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

Here it is so far. Small but growing!

Non-banned players:

Ray Schalke (I love this one)
[Image: 1921RaySchalkeBlackSox.jpg]

Red Faber (Hand Cut)
[Image: 1923W515-1Faber.jpg]

Banned players:

Chick Gandil (The ringleader of the whole controversy)
[Image: 1909T206ChickGandil.jpg]

Eddie Cicotte
[Image: T205Cicotte.jpg]

This is a fun PC!

(12-25-2011, 03:06 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: So I decided I am going to try to chase down an original card of all the 1919 "Black Sox". Shoeless Joe will probably be the most expensive, but Fred McMullin only has ONE CARD. (Ugh)

I realize it's a longshot, but if anyone has any, let me know!! I already have a 1911 Ed Cicotte and 1909 Chick Gandil, still looking for:

- Oscar "Hap" Felsch
- "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
- Fred McMullin
- Charles "Swede" Risberg
- George "Buck" Weaver
- Claude "Lefty" Williams

I would also be interested in any of the other players from that team that weren't banned. Already have a Red Faber and Ray Schalk, looking for the rest.

It's not really for investment purposes, it's more of an interest thing so I am not terribly concerned with condition. (Especially since so many cards of the era were hand cut.) Let me know if you can help!
T-206 has a Hap Felsch. Hal Chase was banned he knew about the scandle and didnt report it. Sleepy Bill Burns has a T-206
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

That sounds like a tall task. Good Luck!
If you have less than 25 trades. I ask that you ship first!
Collecting RC's / Prospects / USA / Aflac & Mike Stanton......
[Image: Scan1-1.jpg]

Very nice on the scans! I think its a great idea still!!
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

(12-25-2011, 05:07 PM)waynetalger Wrote: T-206 has a Hap Felsch. Hal Chase was banned he knew about the scandle and didnt report it. Sleepy Bill Burns has a T-206
Yep, Hap Felsch has been slightly difficult to find. Hal Chase was a gambler, but I don't think he was banned from baseball along with the Black Sox or related to this controversy. Someone anonymously sent proof of his gambling, but I don't think it was related to this. In any case, I want to stick to the Sox first, that will be expensive enough! :-)

VERY COOL!
Matt Holliday Refractors -75/162 - 46.3%
2006 UC Ensemble Triple Auto 69/87 - 79.0%
2007 UD Future Stars Triple Auto 11/18 - 61.0%
2007 SS Dual Auto Brwn Glv/Blk Ink 7/34 - 20.5%
[Image: TXqak.png]

(12-25-2011, 05:49 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Yep, Hap Felsch has been slightly difficult to find. Hal Chase was a gambler, but I don't think he was banned from baseball along with the Black Sox or related to this controversy. Someone anonymously sent proof of his gambling, but I don't think it was related to this. In any case, I want to stick to the Sox first, that will be expensive enough! :-)
I thought about it also at one time. That would look cool inm one of those baseball diamond pitchures that holds there cards.

Chase was first linked with the Black Sox scandal in testimony by Rube Benton on September 23, 1920. Benton charged that Chase and Zimmerman tried to bribe him $800 to throw a game to the Cubs a year before when all three were with the Giants. Benton, confronted with affidavits from Art Wilson and Tony Boeckel of the Braves to the effect that Benton had revealed inside knowledge to them of the alleged fix of the 1919 World Series, admitted that Chase had tipped him off about the Sox losing the first two games of the Series and the entire Series as well. Benton testified that Chase received several telegrams from Bill Burns (one of the Series fixers) and won over $40,000 betting on the Series

Heres another read in further detail
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=h...XcCqBmB-iA
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Very cool!
I'm not an expert when it comes to vintage, but the Faber looks different, as in the ink/printing. The red looks almost 'comic-book' like? Not sure, maybe I'm just seeing things hah.
[Image: KingsSig2.jpg]
Looking for Lincecum, Wilson, Greenberg, Donte Greene, Kings and Giants