`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What do you want the card companies to stop doing or do next

RE: What do you want the card companies to stop doing or do next
My wish is to broaden the number of players getting a card.
I know almost everyone on here hates base, I like it because that's how cards have always been, a base set. Along came parallels, inserts, autos and swatches, but can the base be bigger. I hate sets with 100 base (3 per team so a Jet fan will get Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene & Santonio Holmes) and 150 rookies.

I loved Topps Total, 1997 Pacific Philadelphia, when sets had players from all over the roster. Today if you don't get an RC and you're not one of the top three, unless Topps or Score remembers you, a 10 year career may never be rewarded with one piece of printed cardboard.

I'm glad Panini had Net Fusion in 2011 so Nick Folk got his 1st Jets card, how about some love for punters and long snappers being rewarded. We don't all want Triple Threads, and cards that look like mini books.

My two cents.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

I miss 600+ card sets. I think one of main reasons the base card is meaningless now is that one 7-pack retail box is usually enough to get at least most of the way to a full veteran set, outside of Topps, Topps Chrome (because there are only four cards, and at least two will be a rookie and an insert), and Score. When I think about how many players the Bears have right now who have been starters or otherwise major contributors, but will probably either never have a card in a Chicago uniform, (Amobi Okoye, Anthony Adams, Tim Jennings, Matt Toeaina, etc.) never have another card made past their rookie year (Corey Graham, D.J. Moore, Major Wright, etc.) , or never have a single card made, period, (Israel Idonije, Patrick Mannelly, J'Marcus Webb, Adam Podlesh, Nick Roach, Tyler Clutts, etc.) it really is pretty sad. Bring back Topps Total, or make a Series 2 or even Series 3 for some of the low-end sets. (Which should outnumber the $20-$500 per pack sets in a logical world, but somehow don't.)

Also, if they are going to keep building sets in the "a ton of rookies, plus a few veterans here and there" mode, someone should just do like 1991 Pro Set and include absolutely everyone from rounds 1-3. Or for that matter, go all-out in a Topps Total style or multiple-series set and make a card of every player who got drafted. Somehwere in there, there would be a guy who would only ever get that one rookie card made in a world where everyone who gets one gets a hundred, and it could end up being huge for whoever pulls that card. (see Grant, Ryan)

Also, please find a theme for an insert set other than "here are the guys from the Rookie Premiere" or "here are several completely unrelated players ranging from forgotten backups to Hall-of-Famers, all of whom that Panini happened to have jerseys of, in a set with no real theme."
I think I've finally lost interest.

(12-25-2011, 12:21 AM)the ultraback Wrote: I miss 600+ card sets. I think one of main reasons the base card is meaningless now is that one 7-pack retail box is usually enough to get at least most of the way to a full veteran set, outside of Topps, Topps Chrome (because there are only four cards, and at least two will be a rookie and an insert), and Score. When I think about how many players the Bears have right now who have been starters or otherwise major contributors, but will probably either never have a card in a Chicago uniform, (Amobi Okoye, Anthony Adams, Tim Jennings, Matt Toeaina, etc.) never have another card made past their rookie year (Corey Graham, D.J. Moore, Major Wright, etc.) , or never have a single card made, period, (Israel Idonije, Patrick Mannelly, J'Marcus Webb, Adam Podlesh, Nick Roach, Tyler Clutts, etc.) it really is pretty sad. Bring back Topps Total, or make a Series 2 or even Series 3 for some of the low-end sets. (Which should outnumber the $20-$500 per pack sets in a logical world, but somehow don't.)

Also, if they are going to keep building sets in the "a ton of rookies, plus a few veterans here and there" mode, someone should just do like 1991 Pro Set and include absolutely everyone from rounds 1-3. Or for that matter, go all-out in a Topps Total style or multiple-series set and make a card of every player who got drafted. Somehwere in there, there would be a guy who would only ever get that one rookie card made in a world where everyone who gets one gets a hundred, and it could end up being huge for whoever pulls that card. (see Grant, Ryan)

Also, please find a theme for an insert set other than "here are the guys from the Rookie Premiere" or "here are several completely unrelated players ranging from forgotten backups to Hall-of-Famers, all of whom that Panini happened to have jerseys of, in a set with no real theme."
I could not agree more
Yes to one 600+ set

Yes to Topps series II or Score series II or Topps Total

Yes, it's sad that most 2nd year or older vets never get cards made again of them. All those Bears deserve a card or a shared Topps Total card.

Yes, the card companies want to sell more $20-500 per pack cards.
I watched a guy open 6 boxes of 2011 Panini Absolute, each box had 4 packs with 4 cards per pack, each box cost $160. So $160 got him 16 cards, what has happened to this crazy hobby. Each pack I think had two commons, he looked at them as garbage as he needed a card to average $10 in value to get his money's worth. He blew thru $960 in 30 minutes, amazing, if he tried to resell the 96 cards, I don't want to guess what he would have got.

1999 Kurt Warner was an example of giving more rookies a card, that was a crazy year with his cards. I saw someone buy two Pacific RC's for under $5 after he won his debut game, nobody knew who he was.

Yes to a set like 1991 Pro Set where draft round 1 - 3 has every player included, great idea.

Now that would be a great Christmas present if all of this wishing was fulfilled.

All these ideas would be awesome to see. I think people are getting sick of seeing the same top rookies thrown in their face to hike up a product.

people complain about this and that and Rookies getting priority but the fact is the card companies pay close attention to the secondary market and that market suggests the big money items are Rookies, Rookies Autos, Rookie Patches, low #'d Rookie Parallel's etc...

Collectors as a whole and I don't mean the small sample that come to boards like this or blowout tend to eat the Rookie stuff up and until that changes the card companies would be fools not to take advantage of that.

The whole point of buying boxes now days if for the chance to get that big hit. If you are just a common collector that likes run of the mill veterans that's what they make boxed sets at the end of the year that sell for around half the price of a box would.

(12-24-2011, 10:55 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: In NASCAR products they've been grinding up race used tires and using it to make the ink of certain cards:
[Image: p2055494dt.jpg]

I'm sure thered be ways to innovate that to other sports.

Also, There have been some sets in wrestling where they have printed the images on event-used ring canvas
[Image: KGrHqYOKiQE4TeU7ZCcBOGNipVekg_35.jpg]
It'd be really cool to see them turn a football into one of these, with the card printed on the pigskin!
When I saw that triple H it reminded me of those old Silk cards.
[Image: cbeg-2.jpg]
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/Da...or%20Sale/
Chris Henry Collection Items:811/423 MEM:307/152 AUTO:395/175 Ser #'d:711/343 RC:38/37

How did we get this far without someone mentioning redemption cards. Seriously- if i ever quit this hobby (for good - been chased away for months due to them), it will be because of redemption cards.
I hate them with a passion. Nothing bums me out any more than ripping into a box, only to realize that the one good "hit" is something i might not see for a year or longer.
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]

(12-25-2011, 12:21 AM)the ultraback Wrote: I miss 600+ card sets. I think one of main reasons the base card is meaningless now is that one 7-pack retail box is usually enough to get at least most of the way to a full veteran set, outside of Topps, Topps Chrome (because there are only four cards, and at least two will be a rookie and an insert), and Score. When I think about how many players the Bears have right now who have been starters or otherwise major contributors, but will probably either never have a card in a Chicago uniform, (Amobi Okoye, Anthony Adams, Tim Jennings, Matt Toeaina, etc.) never have another card made past their rookie year (Corey Graham, D.J. Moore, Major Wright, etc.) , or never have a single card made, period, (Israel Idonije, Patrick Mannelly, J'Marcus Webb, Adam Podlesh, Nick Roach, Tyler Clutts, etc.) it really is pretty sad. Bring back Topps Total, or make a Series 2 or even Series 3 for some of the low-end sets. (Which should outnumber the $20-$500 per pack sets in a logical world, but somehow don't.)

YES!!!
(12-24-2011, 11:28 PM)ginge01 Wrote: My wish is to broaden the number of players getting a card.
I know almost everyone on here hates base, I like it because that's how cards have always been, a base set. Along came parallels, inserts, autos and swatches, but can the base be bigger. I hate sets with 100 base (3 per team so a Jet fan will get Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene & Santonio Holmes) and 150 rookies.

I loved Topps Total, 1997 Pacific Philadelphia, when sets had players from all over the roster. Today if you don't get an RC and you're not one of the top three, unless Topps or Score remembers you, a 10 year career may never be rewarded with one piece of printed cardboard.

I'm glad Panini had Net Fusion in 2011 so Nick Folk got his 1st Jets card, how about some love for punters and long snappers being rewarded. We don't all want Triple Threads, and cards that look like mini books.

My two cents.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
YES!!!

I would love to see a card featuring Janikowski, Lechler and Condo (Condo showed how important a top long snapper was in week one).

Teams have 53+ man rosters. I would love to see more of these "lower" players getting cards produced even if it was just base and the odd parallel.
Collecting: Miles Burris ~ Howie Long ~ Tyvon Branch ~ Stefen Wisniewski ~ Lamarr Houston ~ Rod Streater ~ Rhett Ellison

Why not different series? Come on Topps - don't you do it for baseball? Maybe an "update" set for set collectors?
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

(12-25-2011, 12:21 AM)the ultraback Wrote: I miss 600+ card sets...Bring back Topps Total, or make a Series 2 or even Series 3 for some of the low-end sets....

So many good points in this post. 1999 Skybox Dominion gave us one of the few Donald Driver rookies, with him wearing #13 no less, as well as Aaron Brooks in a Packer uniform his rookie year.

When I first started collecting, Score would unleash monster checklists. I'd line up all the guys from a team into their positions and pretend to play games.

And Topps, please please please start collating your checklists by team again. Or by positions, something to make it more appealing for collectings to stick sets in 9-card sleeves. I might be in the minority on this one.

As for insert sets, I like the yearly RoH cards they put out. I like the continuity of it. Maybe manufacturers (not just Topps) could do a Fantasy Football set where the top guys at each position or who make a big impact down the stretch get are part of a set. Heck, get UD an official license again and bring back the You Crash the Game cards but make it for a top fantasy football scoring based on nfl.com standard scoring. They have a college license, put out a You Crash the Draft cards. If a listed player is picked in the top 10, get a redeemed set for the first round draft class. Those are redemptions I used to like a lot because at least if they were expired, you still had a nifty insert card.