`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I want the 90's again

I want the 90's again
How I'd love to have 4 major card companies pumping out 30 releases a year again. Great insert sets, super-tough parallels, game-used cards extremely rare, auto's one per case.....
Even if we have to deal with one major company, can't they see how that era has produced some of the most desirable cards in the last 20 years?
They needn't spend millions on fake memorabilia and authentic autos....just give us a nice design, cool inserts and some rare parallels.
Oh, and stop serial #'ing everything. Give us a print run (like A&G NNO's) and leave it at that (you can replace the damaged ones much easier that way BTW)
Just my rant from reading all the recent box breaks where guys are spending hundreds on a box and getting Chris Coghlan and Drew Storen autos as their guaranteed hits and mem. cards that are vaguely worded as not being from any event, game, season (and next year they will add the word sport)
Simple is as simple does.....
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

RE: I want the 90's again
I want competition between card companies to produce a better product, not one company with the same picture on multiple cards with different colored backgrounds.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I miss the ProCard / TCMA minor league sets.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

I agree. That's why I'm trading away most of my game used for 90's inserts.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

(12-21-2011, 07:09 PM)petesahuttt Wrote: How I'd love to have 4 major card companies pumping out 30 releases a year again. Great insert sets, super-tough parallels, game-used cards extremely rare, auto's one per case.....
Even if we have to deal with one major company, can't they see how that era has produced some of the most desirable cards in the last 20 years?
They needn't spend millions on fake memorabilia and authentic autos....just give us a nice design, cool inserts and some rare parallels.
Oh, and stop serial #'ing everything. Give us a print run (like A&G NNO's) and leave it at that (you can replace the damaged ones much easier that way BTW)
Just my rant from reading all the recent box breaks where guys are spending hundreds on a box and getting Chris Coghlan and Drew Storen autos as their guaranteed hits and mem. cards that are vaguely worded as not being from any event, game, season (and next year they will add the word sport)
Simple is as simple does.....
its simply no longer possible for the manufacturers to continue what they used to do in the'90s...and I'm not sure they were able to afford it then, and there are far fewer collectors now. I'd also add that few people would truly appreciate a hobby that consistently was the way it was in the '90s...it was taken for granted then and would be taken for granted today in short order.

It also seems most hobbyists today are more interested in selling than collecting anyway...are aesthetics really that important to them??

I greatly prefer many aspects of pre '90s cards - a simple hobby with just three or four sets where there was greater hobby community because everyone understood everyone else's hobby niche. This is in contrast to today's hobby where the best players have a crazy 500-2000 unique cards produced of them *each* and *every* year.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

When it comes down to it its to each their own, some people love to collect older sets etc. Personally the main part of the hobby that drags me in is the chase of a cool auto of one of my favorite players, or to get a game used (call it fake if you will i could care less) bat / jersey / patch.

At the end of the day, there are still plenty of options in this hobby from all different areas, and price ranges. Choose what makes you happy, and let others do the same Smile.

I miss Pinnacle...they had the coolest looking insert sets.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

Was it pinnacle that had the sunglass cards? I think they were called shades? Those were AWESOME.

I think my favorite card i have is an Omega EO Portrait of Griffey Jr. They are the cards that when you hold them to the light yo ucan see the players face, because it has been lazered out of the card in little holes.

The way things are now with the hobby kind of makes me appreciate the '80s and '90s cards more. I think the hobby is much better with competition.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

Anyone remember the 97 Score Franchise Glowing cards? I remember trading my Thomas for $25 in trade, and that was a big deal. Fun times.