`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beckett, please update the Annual Guide Book

Beckett, please update the Annual Guide Book
Every year I look forward to the printing of the Annual Guide Book, I have everyone from the current #28 back to #12. I've got my name in there as a contributor which I'm proud of, I think Dan Hitt is the gentleman who can make these requests for updates appear.

To the point, I have one addition and one amendment to appear in #29 next year.

I bought a 2004 Fleer Genuine At Large Patch Autograph ALA CP Chad Pennington 41/44 for $27 off the bay, the card is booking still at $150.
So I got a bargain. It arrived today.
It has a piece of game worn jersey, it looks like the some of the O & N from the nameplate off his back, along with a cut auto on a piece of paper with the Fleer logo printed on it.

I have scanned it below with several other 2004 Chad Pennington autos, notice the difference in the autos.
[Image: 2004ChadPennington.jpg]

The Fleer Genuine At Large Auto looks completely different from the other 4 and it should be marked in the online guide and my precious Annual Guide as a UER.

It is not a Chad Pennington auto.

I looked through the Annual Guide at all the 2004 Fleer releases and I think the auto is a Chris Perry cut auto.

Here is the scan to prove my assumption
[Image: ChrisPerry.jpg]

This card has a near identical auto to the Pennington Fleer Genuine At Large card, the Perry auto is also signed on a piece of paper with a printed Fleer logo on it.

This card is listed when I do an online search as a 2004 Flair Autograph Collection Silver Chris Perry #ed to 100. It is not listed in the Annual Guide.
Can you please add this card as well as update the Chad Pennington card to a UER as Fleer does not exist to be able to get the correct auto in the card.

Thanks

RE: Beckett, please update the Annual Guide Book
I think you're right as far as that not being his auto but this was the year they went bankrupt and everything they had was sold (liquidated) , some out the back door not to mention all the auto cards without the autos. Of course the scammers put their own autos on alot the stuff.
To find out you should email footballmag@beckett.com
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

(12-20-2011, 02:11 AM)floydtown Wrote: I think you're right as far as that not being his auto but this was the year they went bankrupt and everything they had was sold (liquidated) , some out the back door not to mention all the auto cards without the autos. Of course the scammers put their own autos on alot the stuff.
To find out you should email footballmag@beckett.com
Thanks for your reply, what should I ask footballmag@beckett.com , do they know about Fleer liquidated stock.

From what I remember, Fleer went bust in 2005, they had authorized 2005 Ultra to be printed but could not pay the card printers who did not release the cards to them. That set had 2005 rookies with their drafted teams so Fleer was operating into at least April / May 2005.
When Upper Deck bought Fleer, I think they paid the printers, acquired the cards and released Ultra in Jan 2006 so I'm confident that Fleer messed up with the Chad Pennington card in 2004. I think it's an oversight that the wrong auto was put in the card.

The card has been listed since the 2005 Beckett Annual Guide, I think it's real, it is also numbered, I know a lot of surplus cards after liquidation were unnumbered.
I bought my friend a 2004 Fleer Showcase Mike Williams RC which was pulled from packs so it's an unofficial card. It was on ebay in late 2005 when the liquidated stock started appearing.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ok first check out my this thread. It seems we were going to buy the same card. lol.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1469643.html

Second did the seller contact you to tell you the auto wasn't Pennington's???
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(12-20-2011, 02:05 AM)ginge01 Wrote: Every year I look forward to the printing of the Annual Guide Book, I have everyone from the current #28 back to #12. I've got my name in there as a contributor which I'm proud of, I think Dan Hitt is the gentleman who can make these requests for updates appear.

Yes Mr Hitt is the man to talk to. I sent him a msg and got a few cards added to the ORG.

(12-20-2011, 03:16 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Ok first check out my this thread. It seems we were going to buy the same card. lol.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1469643.html

Second did the seller contact you to tell you the auto wasn't Pennington's???
Hi Bakerman, sorry I missed your thread. I've been working long hours including Saturdays so I've not been getting to the forum very much for the last month.
I've been working on expanding my Jets autos collection over the last two years, I do it quietly, I don't want to tip off people of cards I'm wanting to buy. My Jets official auto collection has passed 1000, not including 200+ Press Pass / Sage etc cards from Mark Sanchez back to Keyshawn Johnson who signed college card the year the Jets drafted them.
If I had more time I'd continue scanning them and upload them for this forum.
I want to be designated a Jets supercollector, there are so many cards with auto variants as well as the thousands of patches, I decided the autos was the direction I would take.
Checkoutmycards has one of these 44 Chad Pennington cards, currently the seller is discounting it from $150 to $85. When it appeared on ebay, I wanted it and I'm happy I won it. $27 is still a bargain for an ex Jets QB in my mind. Did you bid on ths card??

It has expanded my Chad Pennington auto collection to 65, I knew there was something funky about the card as the auto did not look like any of the others.

Even though Chad Pennington was released by the Jets in 2008 with the arrival of Brett Favre, he's always going to be a Jet as far as I'm concerned.
I mentioned I went through all the 2004 Fleer (including Flair) products in the Annual Guide to find Chris Perry. The example I scanned (Chris Perry Flair Auto Silver) is not listed in the Guide, I hope Mr Dan Hitt can add it for next year, we card collectors are always pushing towards 100% of all cards listed, Beckett does a great job of updating the guide.

I know I'm a Jets fanatic, I know way too much about that franchise, so here's the Pennington bio update from the question you asked in your thread.

In a 2003 preseason game against the Giants, he suffered a fracture dislocation of his left (non throwing hand) so signing autos should not have been a problem that year. Chad was out about half the 2003 season
I assume that veteran players sign a lot of stickers or (Fleer logo paper) in the offseason, not during the season so I assume Chad signed autos in early 2004 for Fleer, Upper Deck, Topps etc. So no effect on his ability to sign.

On Nov 7th 2004 (week 9) in Buffalo, Chad injured his shoulder, diving head first for a first down attempt, he missed three games when Quincy Carter filled in (there's another amazing Jets story to tell with Carter). Chad recovered enough to play thru the playoffs before having his first shoulder surgery in Feb 2005. I would like to think Chad signed left handed but I am 100% sure it is Chris Perrys autos in Chad Penningtons 2004 Fleer Genuine At Large Patch autograph cards.

Hope this reply was not too long, I'm pleased to have the card, I'm glad other people were curious about the auto, I think two of us independently identified this UER, and there are collectors who are interested enough to research and share their findings. I enjoy this forum, enjoy talking to other collectors, I've only ever met one of you, sent free cards to two of you, I don't advertise these but I do enjoy exchanging info with whoever takes the time to talk to me.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all of you.

The wannabe Jets Supercollector

my bad, I thought it 2004 they went belly up.
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

(12-20-2011, 10:51 AM)ginge01 Wrote: Hi Bakerman, sorry I missed your thread. I've been working long hours including Saturdays so I've not been getting to the forum very much for the last month.
I've been working on expanding my Jets autos collection over the last two years, I do it quietly, I don't want to tip off people of cards I'm wanting to buy. My Jets official auto collection has passed 1000, not including 200+ Press Pass / Sage etc cards from Mark Sanchez back to Keyshawn Johnson who signed college card the year the Jets drafted them.
If I had more time I'd continue scanning them and upload them for this forum.
I want to be designated a Jets supercollector, there are so many cards with auto variants as well as the thousands of patches, I decided the autos was the direction I would take.
Checkoutmycards has one of these 44 Chad Pennington cards, currently the seller is discounting it from $150 to $85. When it appeared on ebay, I wanted it and I'm happy I won it. $27 is still a bargain for an ex Jets QB in my mind. Did you bid on ths card??

It has expanded my Chad Pennington auto collection to 65, I knew there was something funky about the card as the auto did not look like any of the others.

Even though Chad Pennington was released by the Jets in 2008 with the arrival of Brett Favre, he's always going to be a Jet as far as I'm concerned.
I mentioned I went through all the 2004 Fleer (including Flair) products in the Annual Guide to find Chris Perry. The example I scanned (Chris Perry Flair Auto Silver) is not listed in the Guide, I hope Mr Dan Hitt can add it for next year, we card collectors are always pushing towards 100% of all cards listed, Beckett does a great job of updating the guide.

I know I'm a Jets fanatic, I know way too much about that franchise, so here's the Pennington bio update from the question you asked in your thread.

In a 2003 preseason game against the Giants, he suffered a fracture dislocation of his left (non throwing hand) so signing autos should not have been a problem that year. Chad was out about half the 2003 season
I assume that veteran players sign a lot of stickers or (Fleer logo paper) in the offseason, not during the season so I assume Chad signed autos in early 2004 for Fleer, Upper Deck, Topps etc. So no effect on his ability to sign.

On Nov 7th 2004 (week 9) in Buffalo, Chad injured his shoulder, diving head first for a first down attempt, he missed three games when Quincy Carter filled in (there's another amazing Jets story to tell with Carter). Chad recovered enough to play thru the playoffs before having his first shoulder surgery in Feb 2005. I would like to think Chad signed left handed but I am 100% sure it is Chris Perrys autos in Chad Penningtons 2004 Fleer Genuine At Large Patch autograph cards.

Hope this reply was not too long, I'm pleased to have the card, I'm glad other people were curious about the auto, I think two of us independently identified this UER, and there are collectors who are interested enough to research and share their findings. I enjoy this forum, enjoy talking to other collectors, I've only ever met one of you, sent free cards to two of you, I don't advertise these but I do enjoy exchanging info with whoever takes the time to talk to me.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all of you.

The wannabe Jets Supercollector
LOL. This reply wasnt too long bud it was too short. I asked if the seller contacted you about the Auto not being Pennington's. I think you over looked it. haha.

I like your knowledge about the Jets. I try to remember as much stuff I can about the phins but its hard. I do wish Pennington was still playing on the Phins as he is one of my favorite players of time. I liked him even as a jet lol.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(12-21-2011, 01:18 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: LOL. This reply wasnt too long bud it was too short. I asked if the seller contacted you about the Auto not being Pennington's. I think you over looked it. haha.

I like your knowledge about the Jets. I try to remember as much stuff I can about the phins but its hard. I do wish Pennington was still playing on the Phins as he is one of my favorite players of time. I liked him even as a jet lol.
Short reply, I did not look closely at your thread LOL

There was not contact from the seller regarding the wrong auto.

I think most people selling cards (unless they are a big fan of a player or team) do not notice if the wrong auto has been inserted into a card, if it's upside down (2010 Score Mark Sanchez base and inserts) or there are variants (2006 SP Authentic Brad Smith two clearly different on card signing styles, don't know if Smith got tired of sigining in one style or used someone else to help him sign 100+ cards. Other 2006 Upper Deck products have his variants on also, see Ultimate).
I bought a 2007 Press Pass Legends David Clowney (he was drafted 2007 by Packers but became a Jet for most of 2007) inscription signed 'D. C.'
It is 1 of 10, the seller auctioned it for a BIN of $5, I don't think the seller knew it was an inscription, if he did, he did not mention it, probably because other players sign initials only, so made that assumption there was another one of those, a 30 seconds look on ebay would have shown several Press Pass Clowneys all signed David CLowney #87. I bought that puppy within 10 seconds of finding it!!

I always felt Chad Pennington was a fair honest player, a leader, someone who was loved by his fan base, respected by opponents. It was sad to see him injure his shoulder, then get released, then the ultimate revenge, stick it in the Jets face by winning the final game of the 2008 season to keep the Jets out of the playoffs and get the Dolphins the AFC East title of the hated Patriots.

I cheered for him as a Dolphin to play well, throw some TD passes but for the Dolphins to come up short in every game. He had one Monday Night game I think when he drove down the field in the last 2 mins and from about 30 yds hit Ted Ginn between his hands in the end zone and Ginn dropped it to prevent a winning TD. You and I were throwing as hard as Chad in 2009, I felt happy for the Dolphins loss (yes a true Jets fan) but strangely sad that Chad did everything he could, the way a leader does to win the game, he could not be responsible for catching the pass he threw. There was no delight in seeing his frustration at throwing he perfect pass being dropped as he's more of my all time faves also.

I'm glad he's into broadcasting, I wanted the Jets to entice him back to New York to mentor Mark Sanchez but I can understand if he still feels burned by the Jets. I think he'll make a great offensive coordinator as he seemed very cerebral in his play with the Jets, just was never blessed with a rocket arm. I think he's the son of a coach, he seems to have great insight in the game, I will always wish him well until he is part of a team trying to beat my Jets.

Oops, my short reply grew long again.

[quote='ginge01' pid='1815518' dateline='1324494069']

There was not contact from the seller regarding the wrong auto.

See this is why I HATE this hobby sometimes. Here is why:

I was watching the Pennington Auto for 3-4 days and then realized with about a day to go that the auto couldn't have been C Penns so I started a thread asking members who's auto could it be. Well Rogue655 figured it out that it was Chris Perry's. I then contacted the ebay seller and told him this verbatim:

Hello, Im contacting you to let you know an item you sold tonight isnt what it seems to be lol. Item #110789792849 and link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-FLEER-GENUI...19cb961451

I was watching this all week and knew something wasnt right with it as I collect Pennington. The auto on this card isnt his auto!!! The card company placed the wrong auto into the card. The auto is actually of Chris Perry former RB of the Bengals. Proof can be compared to this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Fleer-Plati...5d3184b25d

Just wanted to bring this to your attention as someone has purchased the card and they may not be aware of this error. Please advise.

Thanks for your time.

and then responded with this the very next day:

Thank you for the information. We will pass it on to the buyer.
Thanks again

Now to find out he never contacted you to let you know bothers me like crazy. Not only did he lie to me but he took advantage of you though at the time I didnt know it was you. Now of course I could contact him and he will say he forgot to contact you but I wouldnt buy it regardless. All he cared about was his $30 and thought if he contacted the buyer and told them the truth they would no longer want the card. Little did he know that you would've kept the card regardless. I just hate people like that. Im sure you probably gave him positive feedback already but I hope you didnt that way you can give him a negative feedback for being a liar and a cheat. Sorry just had to vent!!!

On a separate note is it safe to assume all 44 copies have Chris Perry's auto?

Also Ted Ginn can't catch a cold lol. He is a great returner but definitely wasn't worth a 1st round pick by the Phins, 9th overall to be exact. lol.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341