`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it that...

Why is it that...
Why is it that you can buy an auto/relic card of a Hall of Fame player for cheaper price than a prospect/rookie auto/relic card? I've noticed that Hall of Fame auto's can for about 70% cheaper than the prospect/rookie auto cards. Why is this, shouldn't the Hall of Fame players card be more expensive?
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]

RE: Why is it that...
Hype Wink

I 100% prefer HoF'ers
[Image: 60JLt.png]

[Image: TexasHorns.jpg]

My Teams: Longhorns (Colt McCoy & Vince Young PC) - Ravens (Ray Lewis PC) - Yankees (Alex Rodriguez PC)

It's all about the hype. That's why I sell anything prospect I get and use it toward HOFers or vintage. I've recently started a 58 set. I bought some of the cards for next to nothing and have fallen in love with the set.

I can't explain it. I can go into my LCS and see an $8 prospect auto or an $8 base common from 1958. I don't know why, but my eye automatically goes for the vintage.

I love the HOFers and vintage. I'm fine with letting others spend their money on prospects. That way what vintage and HOFer auto/GUd I want won't go for as much. Hehe!

That being said, I do collect 1 prospect: Tyrell Jenkins. But it's only because I know him personally and have been watching him play since he picked up a baseball at the age of 12.

Probably because the market is flooded with 1,000 different autos of each hall of famer. Prospects have way less.

New and shiny

(12-19-2011, 08:25 PM)Merovius Wrote: New and shiny
Haha
[Image: 60JLt.png]

[Image: TexasHorns.jpg]

My Teams: Longhorns (Colt McCoy & Vince Young PC) - Ravens (Ray Lewis PC) - Yankees (Alex Rodriguez PC)

prospects have the potential for a sooner window of going up in value whereas Hall of famers have proven themselves and leveled off, worth what they are worth already - of course that's me talking about slightly higher prices on prospect cards, not the zany give me 5 grand stuff people try to pull.

As others have said, I can only attribute this to hype. While there are numerous autographs out there of a bunch of hall of fame players, they will dry up. Most will make their way into people's personal collections and for those that are dead/dying soon, there will then be no more to be had.

This is likely an extreme example but here is a Honus Wagner cut auto card from 2007 SP Legendary Cuts, serial numbered 1/2 that sold for $1,850. Unless other autographs are found or other cards already in existence become available, there will not be any new autographs. By new, I mean him sitting down and signing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honus-Wagner-Aut...2a15f4d0cb

Follow that up with a 2010 Bowman Orange Stephen Strasburg serial numbered 11/25 that sold for $2,000. Granted, with the guys photo, there is also the chance that the buyer thought that he was getting all four cards in the photo (even though it clearly says in the description that you are only bidding on the orange Strasburg). However, there will be more autographed Strasburg cards since he's still playing, is alive, and the demand is there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-Strasbur...45ff16550c

In my opinion, something is off here and the prices are out of whack in relation to each other. With that said, there are numerous reasons this could have happened. I'm sure there is a smaller audience for the Wagner as opposed to the Strasburg. Though I have nothing to support this, I BELIEVE that there are likely many more people who are more into the current players that they can watch play. As stated above, if the buyer didn't actually read the description and went solely on the photo, they may have thought they were getting all four items in the photo. Once again, HYPE. I would have liked to have seen the realized prices on these cards in an auction format for comparison on these two cards as well but it's not possible at this time.

(12-19-2011, 06:51 PM)elfeo013 Wrote: Why is it that you can buy an auto/relic card of a Hall of Fame player for cheaper price than a prospect/rookie auto/relic card? I've noticed that Hall of Fame auto's can for about 70% cheaper than the prospect/rookie auto cards. Why is this, shouldn't the Hall of Fame players card be more expensive?
A HOFer as topped out for the most part on value.
while a prospect/rookie is still up in the air.
(12-19-2011, 07:56 PM)PadresFan86 Wrote: Probably because the market is flooded with 1,000 different autos of each hall of famer. Prospects have way less.
Really.... So a 2011 card of some (insert name here) has less cards then say a Schmidt auto ?
(12-20-2011, 07:00 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Though I have nothing to support this, I BELIEVE that there are likely many more people who are more into the current players that they can watch play.
Reminds me that saying out of sight Out of mind saying.
Older players don't get the publicity newer hot players get.

Hype - but specifically the opportunity to make a quick buck.

HOFer cards are essentially set in stone as to value. They may move slightly in one way or the other if the person is still living and find their names in the news for one reason or another, but for the most part, their values are set.

Prospects all have the possibility of being the next Pujols or Braun (pre PEDs) or Strasburg or Harper and returning exponential financial results (of course assuming you don't count the number of 'losing' prospect bets that these same people make).

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.