`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossing Over to Get Lower Grades?

Crossing Over to Get Lower Grades?
OK, so there are obviously plenty of people who have their favorite grading company and like to resort to the "my company is better than yours" or "my company is a harder grader than yours". Of course, none of these people can ever prove their statements as there are so many holes in them it's ridiculous.

What I DON'T understand then, is the people that make statements like the above, but then also purchase graded cards that were graded by companies they don't care for, in high grade, only to cross over to the company they prefer. If the company they prefer is so much better/harder, then wouldn't said people expect a lower grade to come back from their preferred company? Wouldn't this then be financially irresponsible since you're paying for a higher condition card on top of the extra grading fees? My belief is that most of these people are full of it and are just pimping the company they prefer.

For example, someone thinks grading company XXX is inferior to YYY, yet purchases Gem Mint cards from XXX to crossover to YYY. If YYY is "harder" than XXX, then shouldn't the person expect a return of Mint in most cases? If so, then why not spend less money on purchasing the Mint condition card of YYY when it becomes available? If not so, then why make the argument that one is better/harder than the other in the first place? (This made sense to me as I typed, hopefully it did for you as well!)

My opinion, as stated earlier in the thread, is that more times than not you're going to get an equal grade on a card from either of the "big three" with possibly a small difference in a grade. Remember, it is human beings doing the grading. Tell/show me someone who is perfect and you may as well just wear a shirt around all day that says "I'm a liar".

Pick which company you prefer based on the holder, how the card presents in the holder, customer service, experience in graders, etc. Whatever makes you most comfortable and you like best is the right choice.

And I'll say again, there is a difference between being an accurate, consistent, and fair grading company as opposed to being a "harder" grader. To me, a harder grader is just as bad as one that is too easy of a grader as they are not giving you an accurate assessment of your card. If a card is mint, it's mint. To call it NM-MT for the purpose of looking "harder" is weak, dishonest, and unprofessional.

RE: Crossing Over to Get Lower Grades?
(12-17-2011, 01:54 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: OK, so there are obviously plenty of people who have their favorite grading company and like to resort to the "my company is better than yours" or "my company is a harder grader than yours". Of course, none of these people can ever prove their statements as there are so many holes in them it's ridiculous.

What I DON'T understand then, is the people that make statements like the above, but then also purchase graded cards that were graded by companies they don't care for, in high grade, only to cross over to the company they prefer. If the company they prefer is so much better/harder, then wouldn't said people expect a lower grade to come back from their preferred company? Wouldn't this then be financially irresponsible since you're paying for a higher condition card on top of the extra grading fees? My belief is that most of these people are full of it and are just pimping the company they prefer.

For example, someone thinks grading company XXX is inferior to YYY, yet purchases Gem Mint cards from XXX to crossover to YYY. If YYY is "harder" than XXX, then shouldn't the person expect a return of Mint in most cases? If so, then why not spend less money on purchasing the Mint condition card of YYY when it becomes available? If not so, then why make the argument that one is better/harder than the other in the first place? (This made sense to me as I typed, hopefully it did for you as well!)

My opinion, as stated earlier in the thread, is that more times than not you're going to get an equal grade on a card from either of the "big three" with possibly a small difference in a grade. Remember, it is human beings doing the grading. Tell/show me someone who is perfect and you may as well just wear a shirt around all day that says "I'm a liar".

Pick which company you prefer based on the holder, how the card presents in the holder, customer service, experience in graders, etc. Whatever makes you most comfortable and you like best is the right choice.

And I'll say again, there is a difference between being an accurate, consistent, and fair grading company as opposed to being a "harder" grader. To me, a harder grader is just as bad as one that is too easy of a grader as they are not giving you an accurate assessment of your card. If a card is mint, it's mint. To call it NM-MT for the purpose of looking "harder" is weak, dishonest, and unprofessional.
I'm pretty sure that you're talking about me. The reason that I do it, is simple. I ONLY collect Nolan Ryans. In most instances, the card that I cross over hasn't even been graded by Beckett yet. Or, if the card has been graded, the grade was not very good.

So there you have it!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(12-17-2011, 02:33 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: I'm pretty sure that you're talking about me.
Amongst quite a few..............

(12-17-2011, 03:04 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Amongst quite a few..............
Did you even read the rest of what I wrote. Moreover, I know what I know, so I don't have to show you proof.

(12-17-2011, 03:15 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Did you even read the rest of what I wrote. Moreover, I know what I know, so I don't have to show you proof.
Yes, I did read the rest of what you wrote. Did it require a response?

If my answer offended you, I'm not sure why. You said that you figured I was directing my post at you when in actuality, it's you along with other people.

In regards to the "proof", if you're going to throw things out there as "fact", I would hope you have some proof when asked to support your "fact". Simply saying it doesn't make it true. I just swam across the Atlantic Ocean in 30 minutes. I said it, therefore it is true.

[Image: Dumb.gif]

Saying one company is better doesn't make it so. Saying that you've resubmitted cards to BGS from another company only to get lesser grades or barely make the same grade, does not make it true, especially when you're asked for further detail and you can't provide it. All it says is that you're speaking out of your, well, you know.

(12-17-2011, 03:26 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Yes, I did read the rest of what you wrote. Did it require a response?

If my answer offended you, I'm not sure why. You said that you figured I was directing my post at you when in actuality, it's you along with other people.

In regards to the "proof", if you're going to throw things out there as "fact", I would hope you have some proof when asked to support your "fact". Simply saying it doesn't make it true. I just swam across the Atlantic Ocean in 30 minutes. I said it, therefore it is true.

[Image: Dumb.gif]

Saying one company is better doesn't make it so. Saying that you've resubmitted cards to BGS from another company only to get lesser grades or barely make the same grade, does not make it true, especially when you're asked for further detail and you can't provide it. All it says is that you're speaking out of your, well, you know.
You want proof? I'll give you proof. What do you want to know? I have to tell you, I don't have a scanner. But I do have a photobucket account. So fire when ready.

(12-17-2011, 03:38 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: You want proof? I'll give you proof. What do you want to know? I have to tell you, I don't have a scanner. But I do have a photobucket account. So fire when ready.
Pretty simple, it's in the first section I wrote. Though, I can't recall if you say one company is "harder" or "stricter". What proof do you have that this is true?

Now that I remember, what SGC 100 card did you submit to BGS and have it come back "barely" a 9.5? What is the serial number of the BGS card you are talking about? (I know this answer could be spun seven ways to Sunday but I remember asking you this question about five times and you never answered.)

Anyway, on my way to the Washington Wizards Fanfest with my son for now.

(12-17-2011, 03:38 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: You want proof? I'll give you proof.
Yeah, didn't think so.

(12-18-2011, 07:56 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Yeah, didn't think so.
What are you, the crossover police? I could give you MY #'s, but you haven't earned them yet!! And with this comment, you never will!! I know the truth and that's all that matters!!

Fine, that's what you believe. I could care less. Don't pass off your beliefs as fact then since you have no proof. The proof that you said you apparently have. Why someone would want to keep their proof secret if it will support their case I don't know since it's not a matter of national security. Oh yeah, that's right, because your proof doesn't exist.