`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last great baseball player?

RE: The last great baseball player?
I don't know if it's possible to have 'mythical' players any more. Part of what makes them 'mythical' is that they played in a time when there are few if any accurate records - videos, audio, etc. The hyperbole that gets exaggerated every time the tale is told and retold is what makes most of those players 'mytical' in our minds.

Nowadays - every game is recorded, filed, archived, etc. Plus every fan has instant access to every play of every game should they be so inclined. In some shape or form those archives will still be available years down the road. Players and plays will be watched and re-watched so often that they lose their 'mythical' quality.

That being said, instead of mythical players, I think out of modern times instead will become mythical story lines...a few being:

1. Kirk Gibson's home run
2. Bill Buckner's error
3. Curt Schilling's bloody sock
4. Game 7 of 1991 WS
5. Steve Bartman

just being the first few that came to mind off the top of my head

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

(12-16-2011, 12:49 PM)sonnyday Wrote: You cant in one argument ding Feller for 4.75 seasons he missed, then say in another argument that "Well if Koufax played longer"...just doesnt work like that.
I agree. I'm just saying that there's no numbers for the time Feller missed just as there's no numbers for years Koufax missed due to his arm nearly falling off.
(12-16-2011, 12:49 PM)sonnyday Wrote: And you are really just picking out certain catergories that skew your picking of Koufax, watch I can do the same thing:

Koufax Feller

20+ Win Seasons 3 6
Total Wins 165 266
HR Allowed 204 224
All Star Games 6 8
Career WAR 4.54 5.5
6 year best season average wins 17 24
I meant to add All-Star games. Good catch. That would give Feller another "win". I did include total wins but divided them by the number of seasons each played. Koufax barely won that category with an average of 15 to 14.7.
(12-16-2011, 12:49 PM)sonnyday Wrote: Lets face it the real facts. Koufax was dominant from 1961-1966 (6 seasons) Feller was dominant from 1938-1941then 1946-1951 (10 seasons)
Yup. I agree.
(12-16-2011, 12:49 PM)sonnyday Wrote:
zeprock Wrote:
Take each of their cards from the same set and I believe Koufax will be higher valued every time.
---------------------------
I really do not know how to respond to this statement. This is just testification on how ludricous your post was.

So if Melky Cabrera's 2005 Topps Card books at $1.25 and Frank Thomas 2005 Topps Card books at .50 cents. Then i guess Melky Cabrera is a better player.
I don't think my post was ludicrous. Maybe comparing a Melky Cabrera rookie card to a Frank Thomas base card is more ludicrous. I just mean that the higher valued players in the sets are usually the players held in higher regard. That's why Ripken, Jeter, Mantle, Clemente and Koufax are usually the highest valued cards in their respective sets. Melky is a common unless it's his rookie card or an SP.

(12-16-2011, 12:49 PM)sonnyday Wrote: Either way, they were both great pitchers and each one is in my Top 10, sorry being from Cleveland I guess I am little biased!
Again I agree both were great pitchers. Don't apologize for being from Cleveland and being biased. It's all good. It's just an amicable debate.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I am crushed. Eight pages of posts and not a single mention of my guy...

Joe Shlabotnik

(12-14-2011, 04:27 PM)wampier Wrote: Was thinking Maddux and Smoltz. Bonds has the taint on his name..

I used to call Maddux "automaddux".

Bonds has a true myth with him. The story of a very good ball player with a very bad personality, who wanted to be the greatest so he cheated. I think we've all heard many names for him.

Steri Bonds. Barry Bolic.
... and one I believe I coined: "The Homeroid King"

Boggsy needs a name other than "Chickenman"
You nailed it.
(12-16-2011, 01:21 PM)ceocards Wrote: I don't know if it's possible to have 'mythical' players any more. Part of what makes them 'mythical' is that they played in a time when there are few if any accurate records - videos, audio, etc. The hyperbole that gets exaggerated every time the tale is told and retold is what makes most of those players 'mytical' in our minds.

Nowadays - every game is recorded, filed, archived, etc. Plus every fan has instant access to every play of every game should they be so inclined. In some shape or form those archives will still be available years down the road. Players and plays will be watched and re-watched so often that they lose their 'mythical' quality.

That being said, instead of mythical players, I think out of modern times instead will become mythical story lines...a few being:

2. Bill Buckner's error
4. Game 7 of 1991 WS
5. Steve Bartman

Greatest Baseball Player of the Modern age has to be Albert Pujols.
Members on the boards are correct in saying Jeter is not a "Mythical" figure. A good ball player and person but like some members have stated had he played on another team he would be considered a Paul Molitor type player. (HOF caliber and very consistent.)

i can see sandberg not getting that nod but how can u not say that ozzie smith wasnt legendary, he was a 15× All Star,13× Gold Glove Award winner , 2,460 hits, 793 rbi, 580 stolen bases, and a first ballot hall of famer, he was pretty much the ss of the 80's and early 90's. the only thing he didnt have was a great bat but he still put up a decent ba of .262 but he hit when he had to. but he was really know for his glove play and athletic ability.

i totaly have to agree with you on griffey he was always good 10x gold gloves, 13x all star, .284 ba ,630 Home runs, 2,781 Hits , 1,836 rbi. he's like ozzie but with a long ball

(12-15-2011, 04:33 AM)john1580 Wrote: these are all great players but they wnt be remembered as imortal players. Nolan Ryan i agree with because of his no hitters and how hard he threw and how long he pitched for. Hes not exactly from this generation since my 60yr old father tells me stories about when he pitched for the mets and people were terrified to face him cuz he had no control and hit people constantly.

The reason i said griffey is because when im older i will tell my kids that he was the best player i ever saw play. Much like mays and "the catch" i have about 40 memories of griffey jumping over walls and robbing home runs, and hitting 485 ft homeruns .

Alot of the players mentioned on here are not in this category imo. Ripken was a great player, he will be remembered more for the streak and his consistency, but he ddnt have the kind of career that you will say hes immortal. Neither did sandberg or rose for that matter. I woulda said bonds too cuz he was alot like griffey untill his head started to look like macys day parade float and he turned into a dbag

pudge was a good catcher but i just cant put him in that list

(12-15-2011, 09:04 PM)john1580 Wrote: and get rid of pudge

jeter lets his glove do the talking he has to be one of the better ss to ever play the game and he also has a decent bat

(12-15-2011, 09:13 PM)bustin 5 knots Wrote: Which doesn't make him a great baseball player

one difference between jeter and tony gwynn is his glove work jeter is a great defensive player with a good bat, gwynn wasnt as good at defense

(12-15-2011, 09:26 PM)john1580 Wrote: i completely agree, and i am not a jeter hater at all, i think hes a great player . But the fact is if he played for the royals his whole career he would be alittle better than johhny damon and not looked at as a god. The fact that he played on so many great teams and won so much and came thru in the clutch helped him. But more than anything he was a yankee, and that propelled him to some kind of super human status as a ball player which hes just not. tony gwynn was just as good and hes not looked at in the same light jeter is

randy johnson was one of the most dominant pitchers ever, and for a very long time. Imo nolan ryan isnt even close to him

there is a difference between better stats and better ball player, basic stats help us rank up but u also have to take into account how long they played, to me this is about quality not quantity

(12-16-2011, 08:16 AM)zeprock Wrote: Bob Feller would most definitely be further up the list but losing four years to the military prevented him. A case of coulda shoulda. Unfortunately not playing ball doesn't make you a great ballplayer regardless of the reason. Ted Williams could've been much further up the all-time home run list but we can't put him up there because he should be. He lost seasons to the military too. They were both better men because of their unselfish sacrifices but losing those prime playing years didn't make them greater ballplayers.

what about the time randy johnson's pitch hit the bird mid flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwpRHrAh3pk

(12-16-2011, 01:21 PM)ceocards Wrote: I don't know if it's possible to have 'mythical' players any more. Part of what makes them 'mythical' is that they played in a time when there are few if any accurate records - videos, audio, etc. The hyperbole that gets exaggerated every time the tale is told and retold is what makes most of those players 'mytical' in our minds.

2. Bill Buckner's error
4. Game 7 of 1991 WS
5. Steve Bartman