`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
re-born collector- first 3 boxes

RE: re-born collector- first 3 boxes
Topps Tier One box came in the mail today! I was feeling guilty about paying $70 for 7 cards...actually considered selling the box unopened. But with my son, we opened and had a great time inspecting each card. Here's what I got:

Zach Britton (rookie)- base

Cole Hamels- base

Luis Aparicio- base (my mother's favorite player...her grandmother, who grew up on the south side, rooted for the Sox and Aparacio until the day she died!)

Jose Reyes- top shelf dual relic (to 99)

Ervin Santana- crowd pleaser auto (to 549)

Hector Noesi- auto (to 999)

Joe Mauer- blue (to 199)

Was it fun? You bet. Will I pay $70 for 7 unknown cards again...maybe. I think you're paying a premium for the experience. My favorite card (and by far the least valuable) was probably the Aparicio!

[Image: mP9e9L.png]

2) What suggestions do you have for me as a secondary collection? Team collection? Handful of favorite players? Favorite rookies? Position Players?

Ryan
[/quote]

With player collecting, for me, its fun to focus on one year for a player. I like to collect '89 Griffeys. 1989 was the year I started collecting. I think I enjoy collecting that way because I see having all of his '89 cards as being an attainable goal.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

(12-11-2011, 09:10 AM)jtraven42 Wrote: Here's the only answer that will matter: Wait until your son finds a favorite player, and then collect his cards together.
My son is a Cubbies fan...Since I grew up more or less a Sox fan, I just can't stomache it! We did go through all of my old cards and put together a nice Ryne Sandberg collection for him. And I pulled a Starlin Castro RC 2010 Bowman Chrome out of a blaster this week...Put it in a magnetic hard case, and will give it to him for Christmas.

Well thank you to everybody for accepting me into this Beckett community! It has been a blast tearing intot new packs, making my first handfull of trades (for both my son and my collections). As I type, my son is looking through one of my old boxes picking out his favorites. He actually has requested that I organize all of my old cards that I gave him, and his, to add to the Becket Organize, and see if I can trade for some Cubs cards for him... I would guess I have 5,000ish cards, so it will take a while, but I'm looking forward to it. So again, I really appreciate all of your input!

(12-11-2011, 09:10 AM)jtraven42 Wrote: Here's the only answer that will matter: Wait until your son finds a favorite player, and then collect his cards together.
I like that idea. Or both his favorite player and your favorite player. I think the pain of collecting a Cub would be worth it in the end. Good thing his favorite player isn't Jeter.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.