`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2001 Albert Pujols Bowman Chrome issue

RE: 2001 Albert Pujols Bowman Chrome issue
(01-23-2012, 12:14 AM)dmogull Wrote: Bro, What the heck is wrong with Beckett as the same thing happened to me! I also have a 01 Bowman Chrome Pujols RC auto and actually bought it in spring 2011 as an "old label" BGS 8.5 / auto 10. I searched the BGS# and found out it was graded all the way back in 2001 and figured I would have a good chance at a bump in grade given how many Pujols they must have been receiving around that time and how strict the grading must have been with so many cards to compare side by side. So, I carefully cracked it from the BGS case and submitted for grading . This time the card came back a BGS 9 / Auto 10 with almost all the sub-grades getting a bump....it was now very close to a BGS 9.5 (which didn't surprise me in the least as I thought it was an easy BGS 9.5 / auto 10....the worst sub-grade was centering and upon close comparison with other BC Pujols RC's, mine should have had a 9.5 for centering).

Ok fast forward to a recent card show with Beckett Raw Card Review. I cracked out the Pujols again out of the slab and submitted it, hoping to hit a BGS 9.5.....drum roll.....

It came back "altered, with a shaved edge"...... R U SERIOUS???? It was already successfully slabbed 2 times and all of a sudden it is now shaved?? WOW.
Don't those have serial numbers? At least authentic labels on the back with numbers? How can this happen? Also why keep regrading?

Neither of you have provided the scan yet. Why is that?
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I never understood why everyone was so sure this guy was lying, why the hell would he lie about something like this?
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

well i dont have a photo of "Altered - shaved" post it note they put on the card's topload as it was at a show and I immediately threw the note out indisgust, but not sure why I would lie about something like this....I went to the show with the friend and he witnessed everything (that is, the card while in its BGS 9 case, and after when it came back 'altered with a saved edge').

here are the pics of the slabbed card, hopefully this works as it looks like this site works differently from most forums with regard to inserting photos...

I kept regrading as the card was a 9.5 in my eyes the second I saw it. after I hit the 9 and it was so close to the 9.5 I decided to roll the dice again as I firmly believed it to be able to get the 9.5, even if it was only by 0.5 to get it

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

if you have a problem with the pujols autoed cards you can send them to me and i could take a look at them... Smile

I was just shocked when it came back altered after having already been slabbed 2 times! so I searched the internet for shaved pujols chrome RC cards to see if anyone else had run into this issue and when I saw this guy's thread it sounded so close to my situation (a factory issued card being altered LOL)...wow
(01-23-2012, 12:51 AM)chiefsncards275 Wrote: if you have a problem with the pujols autoed cards you can send them to me and i could take a look at them... Smile
haha, ok pm me your addy and I will send em out to you express mail :p

(01-23-2012, 12:14 AM)dmogull Wrote: Bro, What the heck is wrong with Beckett as the same thing happened to me! I also have a 01 Bowman Chrome Pujols RC auto and actually bought it in spring 2011 as an "old label" BGS 8.5 / auto 10. I searched the BGS# and found out it was graded all the way back in 2001 and figured I would have a good chance at a bump in grade given how many Pujols they must have been receiving around that time and how strict the grading must have been with so many cards to compare side by side. So, I carefully cracked it from the BGS case and submitted for grading . This time the card came back a BGS 9 / Auto 10 with almost all the sub-grades getting a bump....it was now very close to a BGS 9.5 (which didn't surprise me in the least as I thought it was an easy BGS 9.5 / auto 10....the worst sub-grade was centering and upon close comparison with other BC Pujols RC's, mine should have had a 9.5 for centering).

Ok fast forward to a recent card show with Beckett Raw Card Review. I cracked out the Pujols again out of the slab and submitted it, hoping to hit a BGS 9.5.....drum roll.....

It came back "altered, with a shaved edge"...... R U SERIOUS???? It was already successfully slabbed 2 times and all of a sudden it is now shaved?? WOW.
wow, thanks for posting this. So i am not the only one with this issue. This goes to show us collectors getting cards graded is not really a great thing to do because every given day a card could be graded differently. i mean your card started as a 8.5, then a 9, now its altered? What is up with that? I never liked graded cards, but i thought i get this one graded since its the Pujols. I talked to Topps directly last month and they told me "not to get cards graded". I was hoping maybe they would know a history of this card getting graded "altered" but their only comment to me was "don't get cards graded". Looking at my card, and ive looked at it very carefully i cannot see a single thing wrong with the edges. it looks perfect. just dont get it? Are the grading companies trying to make less of these available or something with good grades? Your story is baffling getting 3 different grades over a period of time. Maybe others will respond here with the same story.

Im 100% being honest that i got it directly from Topps as the redemption back in 2001, got it right from the pack myself and mailed it in.... It never has changed hands ever. This was my best card I have ever got so i have always kept it safe. after now having the card 11+ years i thought it would be interesting to see what it graded. I debated for a long time to send it off because its so valuable and if anything happened to it i would be so upset. And this is what happened....just baffling...

NO SCAN NO HELP
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

(01-23-2012, 12:45 AM)dmogull Wrote: blah blah blah Im bored blah blah blah
here are the pics of the slabbed card, blah blah blah
Epic thumbnail fail.

l2 use photobucket newb

Dont feed the trolls guys

Mods lock it down!
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

(01-23-2012, 12:22 AM)bustin 5 knots Wrote: I never understood why everyone was so sure this guy was lying, why the hell would he lie about something like this?
I agree that it sucks that people immediately call others liars. It would be one thing if the poster was offering to sell the card, or if they were simply bad mouthing BGS or any other service. However this looks like someone who is simply looking for advice and to see if anyone else has had this problem.
Personally I don't get any newer cards graded, however I totally understand the desire to get a really expensive card graded to prove its authenticity when selling. I don't think Topps is going to do anything to help you out, as the card they sent is legit and you seemed to be happy with its condition when they sent it to you after redemption 10 years ago. It really isn't their issue that you want to get it graded 10 years after getting it back from them. Even if they have proof that you were the original redeemer, there is no way for them to know you didn't drop the card and ding a corner and then decide to trim it back a little to straighten out the corner. I am not saying that you did that, I just wanted to point out a scenario that Topps has no control over.
Best of luck in getting a resolution. Personally I would just forget about getting it graded and enjoy it as is.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I had no intentions of selling it. I just wanted to see if this happened to someone else, AND IT HAS!!!. I wasn't trying to get Topps to resolve anything, I just wanted to know and I asked them if that been happening to others with this card, and their only response was "don't get cards graded". Yes, 10+ years later i wasn't expecting them to do anything. I'm happy with the card, just baffled by all this. You get a card directly from Topps or Upper Deck (or whoever) you expect it to be as close to mint as you can get, yet a grading company says its altered? And now someone says they had one graded years ago and it was graded differently 3 times and the final time they are saying its altered? Why didn't the grading company say it was altered when it first was graded? Just seems to me grading companies arent consistent, i hear stories they change grades all the time, and your relying on someones judgement and that could be different whoever is grading it at the time. That's why I never liked graded cards anyway.

i don't own a scanner so i can't scan it. I don't sell cards, i only collect so i never needed a scanner.