`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what i don't like about grading

what i don't like about grading
I just got a card back from BGS. 1981 Topps Joe Montana. Overall grade 8.

Subgrades are:
Centering: 9
Edges: 9
Surface: 9
Corners: 7.5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Topps-216-J...500wt_1413

This is a finished auction on ebay for the same card.

Subgrades are:
Centering: 9
Edges: 8
Surface: 8
Corners: 7.5

Lower on 2 categories, the same on 2, yet it has the same overall grade. I disagree with the 7.5 corners grade as well, but that is beside the point. My card scored higher on 2 categories, and the same on 2, and I get the same overall grade. makes no sense.
Currently Collecting:
Baseball HOFers: Autos, Vintage and Rookies
Dallas Cowboys: Autos and Vintage

RE: what i don't like about grading
I agree, I mean 9+9+9+7.5 / 4 = 8.625, so 8.5 would be reasonable here I would think. While 9+8+8+7.5 / 4 = 8.125 so 8 looks right. I think you should've received an overall 8.5 on yours. Is a weighted average not how they determine the final/overall grade?
SuperCollecting: Jamie Harper of the TN Titans & Lee Smith Buffalo Bills Patriots 5th rd TE from Marshall. Also TN Titans, Recent Former TN Vols, Ladanian Tomlinson for my 8 yr old son and various others. Sets for 2011 R&S, 2011 Threads, 2011 Inception Base & Blue, 2011 Platinum & Gold, 2011 Finest

(11-29-2011, 02:42 PM)TRAVISTURNER Wrote: I agree, I mean 9+9+9+7.5 / 4 = 8.625, so 8.5 would be reasonable here I would think. While 9+8+8+7.5 / 4 = 8.125 so 8 looks right. I think you should've received an overall 8.5 on yours. Is a weighted average not how they determine the final/overall grade?
I agree, that should be how it works. From what I understand I think they take your lowest grade (in this case its a 7.5) and they only give you the next highest .5. Let me put it this way, you have a card with subs 10,10,10,7.5. You would then get an 8. Apparently the card is only as good as its lowest sub score. Dont know if that makes any sense to anyone, but that is the best way I can describe it.
[Image: jpcisco.jpg]

Collecting: Jake Locker,Sam Bradford, Colt Mccoy, Eric Berry, Jason Witten, Luke Stocker, Denarius Moore, Austin Pettis, Lance Kendricks, Greg Salas, Robert Quinn and anything that catches my eye!

yeah i know it isnt a average of the 4 subs for the final game, but it still stinks. Anyone think I should crack it and send it to PSA and see what i get? I am going to be selling this one, so a 9 is worth a few hundred more than an 8
Currently Collecting:

I know nothing about PSA's grading process. How confident are you it will receive a 9? Obviously if you knew the outcome would be a 9, then the answer would be yes.
SuperCollecting: Jamie Harper of the TN Titans & Lee Smith Buffalo Bills Patriots 5th rd TE from Marshall. Also TN Titans, Recent Former TN Vols, Ladanian Tomlinson for my 8 yr old son and various others. Sets for 2011 R&S, 2011 Threads, 2011 Inception Base & Blue, 2011 Platinum & Gold, 2011 Finest

i have only used BGS, but i have heard of instances of grades being upgraded when going from BGS to PSA. Also, I dont have any idea how the corners got a 7.5.
Currently Collecting:

I think it should have been sent to psa anyway...anything pre 1990 I do PSA
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

PSA might give you the 8.5 probably not a 9.

BGS doesn't award a overall grade that is anymore than 0.5 higher than the lowest subgrade. That is a rule that trumphs all grading rules for an overall grade.

It is not an average of the subgrades. Say my subs get a 9, 9.5, 9, and another 9.5. Different subgrades have a different weight to the formula when determining overall grades. Depending on what subgrades go where, I could get a 9 or a 9.5 overall depending on which subs recieved the higher grades.

Beckett Vintage Grading will actually award a full grade higher than the lowest subgrade when it is a lower graded vinatage card.

PSA used to give qualifiers for factory flaws, but aren't as leanent on corners as you might think.

I think it is a great card with a nice grade, I wouldn't stress that grade from BGS that you got. It looks right to me and PSA may give you a bit higher grade, but is it worth having reslabbed just to take a chance???
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

(11-29-2011, 03:17 PM)jwest1334 Wrote: i have only used BGS, but i have heard of instances of grades being upgraded when going from BGS to PSA. Also, I dont have any idea how the corners got a 7.5.
The final grade of BGS Graded cards IS NOT simply an average. The one who said that the final grade is not more than .5 higher than the lowest subgrade is correct. However, there is an exception. I have a card with subgrades 10-Centering, 10-Corners, 10-Edges and 8.5-Surface. And it got a 9.5. The problem with your card is it got a 7.5 for Corners. And Corners is worth more than either Edges or Surface. Centering is worth the most. So you got a 7.5 on a key aspect of the card as a whole.

So who ever gave the example of 10-10-10-7.5, the final grade would most likely be an 8.5.

Here's a link that may clear things up for everyone:
http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/vi...icleId=301
(11-29-2011, 03:34 PM)got watcha want Wrote: PSA might give you the 8.5 probably not a 9.

BGS doesn't award a overall grade that is anymore than 0.5 higher than the lowest subgrade. That is a rule that trumphs all grading rules for an overall grade.

It is not an average of the subgrades. Say my subs get a 9, 9.5, 9, and another 9.5. Different subgrades have a different weight to the formula when determining overall grades. Depending on what subgrades go where, I could get a 9 or a 9.5 overall depending on which subs recieved the higher grades.

Beckett Vintage Grading will actually award a full grade higher than the lowest subgrade when it is a lower graded vinatage card.

PSA used to give qualifiers for factory flaws, but aren't as leanent on corners as you might think.

I think it is a great card with a nice grade, I wouldn't stress that grade from BGS that you got. It looks right to me and PSA may give you a bit higher grade, but is it worth having reslabbed just to take a chance???
You are right on everything except your spelling (lol) and the part about the (2) 9.5's & the (2) 9's. No matter the order the card is still going to be a 9.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

If you are intending on selling it, you can market yours as a "strong" 8 with good subgrades. As for the grading, Got Whatcha and Nolan explained it perfectly. I agree with how BGS does it by remembering sayings like a fence is as strong as its weakest link and a team is as good as its worst player. Heck if you have the Windows Vista or 7 operating system, the Windows Experience Index grades your entire system score based on the lowest scoring subcomponent. The card will only be as good as its biggest flaw.

Nice grade overall though. I'd love to have a BGS 8 of a Montana RC. Mine graded out to be 6.5 due to the back nearly being miscut.