`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: How much do you value your jesery cards?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
If they're not real, I don't want them anymore.
30.30%
10 30.30%
Doesn't matter much to me, they look cool.
33.33%
11 33.33%
It'll suck if they're not real, but I'll still keep them.
30.30%
10 30.30%
Who cares?
6.06%
2 6.06%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do you value your jersey cards?

How much do you value your jersey cards?
I was looking in the News section and found this article. I started thinking. What actually happens to the player's jersey after the game? I know in Basketball a player may at times take it off on the way to the locker room and throw it in the crowd. It might happen in other sports as well, but I see it most in Basketball. But if they don't, what then? Do they leave it in their locker to be cleaned and re-used? Are they responsible for taking it home? Is it property of the team or the player? Does the team issue a new jersey every game?

I am curious because I'm trying to figure out why a card company would purchase any jersey from anyone other than the team or the player themselves. The NBA (and other leagues) have deals with the respective card companies and so does the players association. There should be no reason the jerseys should be obtained from anyone other than the team or player. Now, if their excuse is then jerseys would be less limited in their product, I have no problems with that. Smile Now, I could POSSIBLY see this for deceased players or retired players since they may not have been around when jersey cards were being made.

However, I'd still want a checks and balance for the card companies, preferably from the league. Like a stipulation that if they have a license with them, they need to have a tracking system for the memorabilia and evidence of where the item was purchased from and a way for us collectors to pull this information as well. I have always wanted GU cards to specify when that jersey was Game Worn. Was it during a blowout game where that player had 35 points, or was it a game where the player got two technicals in the first quarter and sat the rest of the game (yeah, it's game used, but what a memory as compared to a great stat game). Also, imagine you have a 6'10" 275lb player who isn't that great and is willing to sell his jerseys, many of them. And say he plays on a team with a smaller (in size) superstar (say Allen Iverson). Who's to say that those jerseys aren't used in a combined fashion other than the name and numbers? They can buy player A's jersey from the player/team at $35 a pop, but they'd have to pay $150 for each of player B's jersey. I'm not saying all memorabilia cards aren't authentic, but you really start to wonder.

I think the main problem though is that the manufacturers would see no benefit in doing this (from a customer service standpoint or moral) and would find a way that resembles some checks and balance but barely. Their excuse is that it would slow up production, that they'd have to raise prices, etc. Well, look at Upper Deck, I'm sure they'd rather slow up production than face another possible law suit. Now, I don't place much value in memorabilia cards. I simply think they look cool to look at, but if I had a chance for a cool looking card numbered to 50 or a card with a huge patch numbered to 100, I'll go for the first card.

Give me your thoughts? Do you place a lot of value in your GU/Mem cards? What about Autographs? Do you think these fraudulent people puts a black eye on the entire hobby? Please follow the TOS in your responses?
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

RE: How much do you value your jersey cards?
I have one brief example as to why I like them. I never saw Billy Williams play in person, and I am a Cubs fan. When I look at one of my jersey or pants cards of his, I do get a little tingle that one of the greatest players ever to play the game actually had something to do with that little swatch many years ago. I know companies could fake these cards, but I want to trust them. Would I buy a jersey from a person at a card show that bought it from someone else who bought it from another guy? Not likely. But if a respected card manufacturer puts its name on the card, I will believe them. It is the only connection I have to Billy Williams.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

jason very good topic. I don't value my mem/gu much except for ones pictured as celtics, I think there cool either way. I just recently sold most of my gu/auto from fb,baseball,hockey because there was no attachment to any of the cards, there just peaces of fabric. I"ll keep/collect my respective teams cause there my team and still cool. I also am a rookie collector so those ones I like weather there gu or event used still cool. I would love for panini to do what donruss did with there playoff brand by acually showing the jersey/ball with details of use on the back before it was cut up.

Autos I do value, of course prefer on card vs sticker. I think its cool to have a sig of certain greats of the game, favorate team etc. You have the companys guarantee that there real. Again I wish that there was a picture of the athelete on the back signing the jesey,ball etc certaintly on the on card ones, the sticker ones there being sent by the players could have been signed by there brother/sister/family member/friend if no rep witnessed it. I'm trying to get at least 1 auto of every celtic player that played certain ones I know will be hard and some aren't even made yet.
Selling my org out
Rolleyes

I read that yesterday and considering how much GU is out there, there has to be a large portion of incorrect swatches and fakes on cards that we believe we can trust.

I boils down to trusting third party authentication. Which is more subjective than objective than we want to believe. Believe it or not, even James Spence and PSA can be wrong. We pay more for those authentications, only because they are the consensus on the best authentication.

A real autograph can have a certificate that says "signed in the presence of a company representitive". I am inclined to believe what I see there. It is against the law as the article points out.

Now when I see "sent to -INSERT CARD COMPANY- directly from the player depicted" I get weary there. Player's wives and friends can sign for them, and then some players still use an auto-pen. Is that a real autograph when he signs 200 with one pen stroke???

Sorry to ramble about autos, they are really the thing I question most on NBA cards. Don't NBA GU cards state acquired via NBA Properties Inc.??? I just thought that NBA GU materials were a safer bet than pro baseball and pro football because of the way the NBA distributes its event/game used stuff.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

Not all of them do, here are a few pictures from Panini and UD.

"The enclosed game worn material is guaranteed by Panini America, Inc."

"On the front of this card is a piece of memorabilia that has been certified to us as having been used by Zach Randolph as a member of the Portland Trail Blazers in an NBA game."

Unless something is stated on the packaging of the product, I don't think I've ever seen it stated on the card that the product was obtained directly from the NBA itself. There might be some, but if so, I haven't seen them.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(11-23-2011, 11:35 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: The enclosed game worn material is guaranteed by Panini America, Inc."
I tend to trust them when it says this because through this statement they assume responsibility.

(11-23-2011, 11:35 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: "On the front of this card is a piece of memorabilia that has been certified to us as having been used by Zach Randolph as a member of the Portland Trail Blazers in an NBA game."
this is where it becomes tricky, as they put the responsibility with an unnamed third party. As a matter of fact, if you were to find that a piece of material is not authentic then it would most likely be impossible for them to identify what jersey it was cut from and subsequently from what dealer it was purchased. They would assume no responsibility and you have no-one else to file a claim against..

It would indeed be most transparent and trustworthy if all acquisitions of materials were done through the respective leagues or players' associations.

That said, I like to believe that card companies act in good faith and that their acquisitions are solid

I do not like patch or jersey cards. I would not call them GU, unless the card stated so. But on the other hand, I would want to know which game it is from. Also is from the player that is on the card or some nobody 6th or 7th man? Take kobe for example.. there are so many jersey cards of his.. how many jerseys do you think they used? they are probably not even kobe jersey's, because they'd get more money selling them as whole, especially if he autographed them & wrote the date of the game it is from... I know MJ did this in the early 90's. I had a friend that his dad had three of them.. two were bought from UD, the third one was obtained in person from MJ's camp, as a fundraiser.

card manufacturer could be crooked. I like the idea of check & balances.. but who is going to do it. how can we believe it is done correctly. all the cards I've looked at say something like "memorabilia or auto was certified to use as been from or signed by so & so"... does that make since? who is certifying it for the card company? the player themselves, some spokesman for the NBA, a team ball boy... who? also, those autos... who is certifying them that they are actually from the player? the card companies send cards or stickers to the players to get signed, & they send them back... but what if they player's uncle or mom was signing them? & sending them back to the card companies... I've seen this done in person from a very famous actor. My dad was a plumber in Santa Barbara, Ca. I would work with him in the summer. We went to this famous actor's mom's house. She was in charge of his fan mail. She would sign black & white photos & mail them out to his fans. I got a poster signed. The mom was in the process of signing a few hundred photos when my dad & I arrived.. they were only half done when we got there.. & about 3/4's done when we were finished repairing a leaking toilet. sports players can do the same thing.. I don't trust card manufactures.. it's the collecting hobby I love, therefore I still buy basketball cards.. even though they suck me dry..
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

I like how patches look but dont put too much value on them anymore...theres waaaaay too much jersey stuff out there...they arent rare anymore...
collecting jason williams..