Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Grading Companies

Grading Companies
Hello,

I've been out of the card collecting scene for quite a while now and I'm thinking of jumping back in. I'm considering just going after RC's that are graded. My question is I know BGC/BVG is the best right now with PSA 2nd. But where does GAI and SGC rank? There is a card that I am interested in that is graded very highly but it is graded by GAI and I'm unsure what to pay for that card. I've found PSA graded cards with a slightly lower grade sell for reasonably close to what the auction is going for. Can anyone give me some advice> Thanks.

RE: Grading Companies
Myself, I like to collect BGS only. Not sure what GAI is all about, sorry.
Looking for all types of rookie cards. Only trade with a d/c #. If you have less than 25 trades you must ship first. Thanks.

[Image: 3sport.png]

Banner Thanks to CoolBrees.

I would stay away from GAI. SGC is fine, I use SGC cause they are local to me in NJ and I can drop off pick up for free.

Any of the big three are good. I like prefer to buy BGS or SGC when I shop around
Finder's Fee for these cards if I obtain them(NO EBAY or COMC).

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic,

I go psa for 1985 and older and bgs for 1986 to current
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

GAI was a good grading company. But they went out of business and have fallen off the grading radar. If the deal is good pick up a GAI and cross grade it with another company. Use BGS for modern, PSA for vintage & SGC for prewar vintage.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

GASI is only good on their earlier slabs. later slabs are questionable

Fyi, BGS/BVG is not #1 over PSA. PSA was around long before BGS/BVG and in my opinion, are number #1. BGS/BVG is great too, but definitely not superior to PSA. Only stick with these two or SGC.

I have yet to see anybody prove how/why one company is better than the other.

Stick with PSA/SGC/BGS and you'll be fine. As far as I'm concerned, it comes down to what holder you prefer. Go to the PSA board and people will pimp PSA as the greatest, go to the SGC boards and people will pimp SGC, here people will pimp BGS/BVG. Most people aren't going to say that the grading company they prefer and use is second rate.

Yes, there will be the occasional difference on cross-overs. Why? Because it's human beings doing the grading and not a super computer. I have yet to find a perfect human being in this world.

GAI (Global Authentication Inc.) had a fairly strong rep when they were around. They filed for chapter 11 in 2008 and were purchased by Mike Baker (former director of grading for PSA and head of the trading card division for GAI). Baker then turned the company in GAI (Global Authority Inc.) I don't know what's happened with it since but I've heard that it's nowhere near as trustworthy as the original GAI.

The card I'm thinking on is a Hank Aaron 1954 Topps RC GAI 7.5. It looks really nice and should crossover and still get a good grade. But if it dropped to a PSA 6 I would lose $300+. If it would get a 7 then I'd be ok. It's a risk with an opening bid of $1400. Too much?

I like to go SGC for prewar stuff, and psa through mid 80's. anything after that I prefer BGS.