`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bryce Harper Advice?

RE: Bryce Harper Advice?
Question for the experienced traders out there: if you have a "hot" but fairly common card (any Harper, Stras, etc) is it frowned upon to insist on greater than BV in a trade? From the handful of trades I've completed so far, the protocol seems to be BV for BV. -Obviously anyone can ask for whatever trade value they want, I just wanted to get a better sense on etiquette, so to speak. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(11-01-2011, 12:30 PM)iconms Wrote: What makes you say that? Historically 1st Bowman Chrome (and other FY/prospect) cards generate more interest than cards that have the "RC" logo on them. I think Harper's 2010 Bowman Chrome USA card and 2011 Bowman Chrome will always be head and shoulders above anything similar with a RC logo on it
i completely agree

(11-01-2011, 06:07 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Question for the experienced traders out there: if you have a "hot" but fairly common card (any Harper, Stras, etc) is it frowned upon to insist on greater than BV in a trade? From the handful of trades I've completed so far, the protocol seems to be BV for BV. -Obviously anyone can ask for whatever trade value they want, I just wanted to get a better sense on etiquette, so to speak. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
Most traders seem to trade BV for BV, but since BV is not actually indicative of what a card sells for, some traders ignore BV. But I wouldn't say any Harper or Strasburg is hot. Bowman Chrome Harper maybe since it's still recent, but otherwise they sell considerably less than BV. If a card is worth more than BV to you, ask more for it. A trade is not worth making if you feel you're getting ripped off, regardless of BV.
[Image: ozziesmithbanner.jpg]
Always collecting Ozzie Smith!

(11-01-2011, 05:23 PM)dlcarst Wrote: Chances of Harper becoming a star are about 1 in 3, which is less than betting on a coin flip. And even then his cards probably wont be worth as much as people are paying now. I say sell as soon as he hits the majors, that is assuming he ever does since he did bat .250 in AA.
Your last statement is just silly. He hit .256 in AA, AS AN 18 YEAR OLD!! He JUST turned 19 two weeks ago! The average age of a AA prospect is 21.5. He should have been a senior in HIGH SCHOOL and he's already holding his own in AA. And you think he won't even make it to the majors?!?! He'll make his MLB debut as a 19 year old, where most top prospects are freshman in college or struggling in Low A. So by all means, sell now! Shoot me a PM with what Harper you have to offer
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

(11-01-2011, 06:41 PM)dlcarst Wrote: Most traders seem to trade BV for BV, but since BV is not actually indicative of what a card sells for, some traders ignore BV. But I wouldn't say any Harper or Strasburg is hot. Bowman Chrome Harper maybe since it's still recent, but otherwise they sell considerably less than BV. If a card is worth more than BV to you, ask more for it. A trade is not worth making if you feel you're getting ripped off, regardless of BV.
Appreciate it. That's about how I was thinking. Maybe Harper and Strasburg aren't the best examples, but I was mostly just wondering if its considered fair to request, say, $25 BV in multiple cards for a single $20 card. I don't have a lot of nice cards and the few decent ones I have are the only ones that attract offers. Sometimes it's hard to find good 1-1 or 2-1 matches. After that, it seems fair to me to ask for a little extra when you get into the 4-1 deals (or whatever), depending on the situation.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(11-01-2011, 06:52 PM)keyser soze Wrote: Your last statement is just silly. He hit .256 in AA, AS AN 18 YEAR OLD!! He JUST turned 19 two weeks ago! The average age of a AA prospect is 21.5. He should have been a senior in HIGH SCHOOL and he's already holding his own in AA. And you think he won't even make it to the majors?!?! He'll make his MLB debut as a 19 year old, where most top prospects are freshman in college or struggling in Low A. So by all means, sell now! Shoot me a PM with what Harper you have to offer
Going by recent history, odds are very very good that his cards will be worth a fraction of what people are paying for them. For every Alex Rodriguez there are 4 Pat Burrells. I've traded away my Harpers except for my Bowman and Chrome prospects that I was going to keep for my set, but by all means if he's going to be the next Pujols you'll be more than willing to trade 10X book value for them and I'll trade them to you now and pick them up for a buck each in 5 years.
[Image: ozziesmithbanner.jpg]
Always collecting Ozzie Smith!

It does not matter if he makes it or not... When he gets the called up to the pro level... That is when you sell, if you have any doubts... Nothing against him... but with prospects, it is just business.
LOL, I am stuck with about 10 Heyward autographs that I held on too long. But I think Heyward will eventually level off. Harper needs to keep his head, the kid has more natural talent than most of the other players.. He is and will be a long ball hitter, that is what people pay to see... I think he will make it, but just to make sure, I am selling when he gets the call.

I would get rid of your harper cards right now while people are still paying a lot of money for them. he is overhyped and will never live up to what people are making him out to be. trade your harper cards for auto cards of proven players, u will win in the end
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]