`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The question of BGS 8.5 and raw cards.

RE: The question of BGS 8.5 and raw cards.
(10-31-2011, 04:26 PM)branesergen Wrote: The older the card the higher sought any grade is. To find a Brady RC from 11 years ago still in an 8.5 condition is less risky than buying one thats most likely over time degraded to an 8. Surface issues, coloring, soft corners and rough edges, as you know will kill a grade. Especially surface which I know about 1st hand. Here is a perfect example -

[Image: Jul11358.jpg]

The person who bought the raw card runs the risk of getting the BGS 7 as I did. Or even worse -

[Image: Oct23540.jpg]

You are also not taking into consideration the gradability of the card. Is it a card that tends to grade low? Is it a card that is not normally graded? Also as someone else mentioned, its authenticy plays a big part in it too. And the fact that its a $3000 card also plays into effect. The 8.5-9 = Raw standard of today applies to cards of TODAY as well. The older the card the better it will be to have it graded.

Atleast that is the philosophy that I'm using to justify spending tons of money having all my cards graded lol
Very good points. For Exquisites 10 years down the road that are graded 8.5, do you think the same will apply? Exquisite will be the first super high end cards that might carry higher value raw than an 8.5 since the quality of the cards should last longer and the way we protect our cards are better I'm assuming. I'm trying to figure out whether I should crack my exquisites that graded 8.5.

(10-31-2011, 04:36 PM)melcmd Wrote: My point is that in following the general opinions on the boards the last few years, that an 8.5 is not perceived the same as a raw card. Most here seem to believe the raw card is more valuable.

I agree with Branesergen. An 8.5 on a rare or older card isn't the same as it would be for shiny modern chrome card with an 8.5. You probably are better with the raw modern card because you have at least a shot of a better grade if you submit it.
Thanks for the clarification. The idea of wear over time didn't dawn on me until now. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for everyone's expert opinion on the matter!
[Image: Kolb4.jpg]

Your statement " The way we protect our cards are better" - I would argue that. Yes the way you and myself protect our cards are better today than they were 10 years ago but you and I arent the only ones handling cards. Get much off ebay? Get much off trades? How about even card shows where anything under $50 is shoved in a box. Alot of people just dont take care of them the way you and I do. I went to a show awhile back and this guy had 10 Ricky Williams game used jerseys I needed and every single one of them was shoved in a box handled by tons of customers. No toploaders no sleeves. They were all chipped up, major dings on the corners and such. One of the reasons I starting getting all my cards graded is just because of the handling issues by others and myself, I've dropped a couple myself Wink You drop a card numbered to 10 accidently and all of a sudden there are only 9 undamaged ones left lol

I think an 8.5 Exquisite 8.5 will still pull more than a raw card 10 years from now just because chipping is already an issue with them. I wouldnt crack it.

But I must state - I am a HUGE advocate of grading. I just LOVE it lol Its sparked a new interest in the over flooded auto and gu market of today. If gives me the sense of having something a little rarer especially when I have a pop 1 Big Grin
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

I think the biggest reason for the difference in the price between the two cards in the OP is the fact that those are cards from a foil front set. The raw runs the risk of damage (as others have stated) versus something that will maintain it's condition unless it's set outside in the sun for a summer.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]