IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
OT: Coin Collectors please come on in.... I am looking for help/input/advice

OT: Coin Collectors please come on in.... I am looking for help/input/advice
I recently picked up the hobby of collecting coins, silver and gold

i have some questions for some certain pieces i have
also i'd like any basic tips/help because i am brand new in it and really dont know much about it at all

so please post in here or PM me if you know your coins pretty well!!!!!!!

THANKSSmile

I come here to ask because there is such a wide variety of people on this site that are very helpful in many fields

RE: OT: Coin Collectors please come on in.... I am looking for help/input/advice
What type of coins are you collecting?
bullion?

RE: OT: Coin Collectors please come on in.... I am looking for help/input/advice
I only collect coins from the USA, Canada and African Kruggerands. Those are the ones that state the actual sivler/gold content and purity. Anything from anywhere else must be encased and graded for me to purchase because of too many fakes out there

anything silver you want get from pre 1960 or so when they were 90% silver. Some of the newer silver dollars like the silver eagle are 99% pure though. Also try to stay away from stuff that was personally melted down by people, there is a scam where they will use a lead core and pure silver or gold over it. Also be very careful with gold nuggets.

While most i have found are true and real such as the ones from alaska, youll find a few faked gold nuggets melted down and drop in wood cutouts to appear like nuggets or just plain water. Nuggets are worth more as they havent been refined yet and are of good purity.

The good nuggets are in the 20-23k range usually. It would be a good idea to get a metal testing kit if you get into that area. Good luck, i have been doing it for about a year now and have a nice stock of silver and a lil bit of gold so far,
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

thanks you guys i really appreciate the input

all this gold nugget talk... mm sounds nice but wayy out of my range lol
right now i am aiming to load up on "junk" silver the pre 65' quarters and dimes

american silver eagles im real interested in pickin' a few of those up, stuff like that

i bought 2 grains of gold on ebay... really dont know if their legit lol
their just little sliver 1 grains that are stamped 1 Gr. 24K
and they also included a free piece of sliver but with no stamping on it, which worries me about all of it

what is bullion mean?
i also wanted to ask.....

the "war nickels" 42'-45' contain 35% silver
what are the nickels 46'-64' i heard those still contain a little silver, is there? and how much?

bullion is gold and silver coins that are made of silver and gold...like the American Eagle coin you were talking about is bullion.

(10-31-2011, 02:02 AM)falcons2fan Wrote: thanks you guys i really appreciate the input

all this gold nugget talk... mm sounds nice but wayy out of my range lol
right now i am aiming to load up on "junk" silver the pre 65' quarters and dimes

american silver eagles im real interested in pickin' a few of those up, stuff like that

i bought 2 grains of gold on ebay... really dont know if their legit lol
their just little sliver 1 grains that are stamped 1 Gr. 24K
and they also included a free piece of sliver but with no stamping on it, which worries me about all of it

what is bullion mean?
i also wanted to ask.....

the "war nickels" 42'-45' contain 35% silver
what are the nickels 46'-64' i heard those still contain a little silver, is there? and how much?
The 1 grain gold are usually real gold, look for ones stamped by a good mint company like silvertowne or pampe swisse if you look to go in the 1 ounce range, but thats perdy high dollar, like 1.5k or so easily. Your gonna end up paying more per ounce saving up by the grain or gram, but thats perdy much all a regular budget person can do these days as far as gold.

I read somewhere that the 42 war nickels did indeed have some silver, but im not really sure for those. I collect the older and buffalo and shield nickels, but not for the silver value as there isnt really any silver in em.

Now dimes and quarters and silver dollars do. Liberty head dimes, rosevelt dimes to 64, liberty half dollar to 46 or 47 i believe, morgan dollars and peace dollars are all the good 90% silver coins to look for. Nickels are great if you can find the rare ones and some of the rare pennies, but for your investments, go 90% or 99.9% bullion coins or bars.

All bullion means is it is precious metals made into coins or brick form, occasional a art piece of some kind.
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

oh alright just another word for them?

(10-31-2011, 02:49 AM)falcons2fan Wrote: oh alright just another word for them?
exactly

thanks cowboysfanatic and marino!