`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beckett Grading

RE: Screwed by Beckett Grading
(10-22-2011, 03:37 PM)daytonator Wrote: Wait, they gave you a 9.5 and your upset that you didn't get a 10?
Lmao, ok, I've given BGS all my business and have had a pretty good success rate with predicting the grades, but you can never predict a 10. A 9.5 yes, but never a 10. Those are just too hard to get to expect them. If you're unhappy with the grade, crack it
No I am not mad I didn't get the 10 pristine grade, mad about the 9'sand the 8.5's . And the fact that the Rodgers rookie which I thought to be lucky to get an 8 got a 9.5 just says to me that their grading is all over the place!
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

Well, I cross PSA 10's over to BGS/BVG. A PSA 10 does NOT equal a BGS 10!! I have had PSA 10's to come back as BGS 9's. For the most part, a PSA 10 equals a BGS 9.5.

And on those Auto's, the Grade is probably on the back. On certain cards, they have started putting the Grade on the back.

I hope that this helps. I forgot to mention that BGS is a lot more strict than PSA!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(10-22-2011, 03:43 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: 9.5's are just as respected as PSA 10's

i believe, if you dont want less than a 9.5, you can state so, and they wont grade it

you arent a professional, so even though you have had past success, that doesnt guarantee you will always be right. (dont mean this in a hostile way)
You are correct, but for all I know is they have a college intern grading these cards. When was the last time you saw a resume of a Beckett grader? In addition they charge insurance to ship your cards back, I asked the fed ex guy if this package was insured and he said no.

The fact they screwed my grading services, charged for insurance. Then didn't insure puts into question their business practices. God knows who they have grading cards?

(10-22-2011, 03:54 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Well, I cross PSA 10's over to BGS/BVG. A PSA 10 does NOT equal a BGS 10!! I have had PSA 10's to come back as BGS 9's. For the most part, a PSA 10 equals a BGS 9.5.

And on those Auto's, the Grade is probably on the back. On certain cards, they have started putting the Grade on the back.

I hope that this helps. I forgot to mention that BGS is a lot more strict than PSA!!
I understand a bgs 9.5 is the equivilant of a psa 10. I am just questioning their business practices. And do there poor business practices reflect on how they grade?

Lets not all forget the status of this website a year ago, it was in shambles, and this is the same company I have grading my cards.

What has Beckett done to prove they are a reputable company? Keep their graders in resumes in hiding?

Well lesson learned on my part

Those 2 with the no autograph grades, they are not on the back of the label? I have 2 with the auto grade printed on the back of the label (for some reason they do this with thicker cards).

(10-22-2011, 04:06 PM)creativemunky Wrote: Those 2 with the no autograph grades, they are not on the back of the label? I have 2 with the auto grade printed on the back of the label (for some reason they do this with thicker cards).
Well, he didn't respond to me made he'll respond to you.

(10-22-2011, 03:54 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: I hope that this helps. I forgot to mention that BGS is a lot more strict than PSA!!
Nolan, I appreciate the comment but I have a great story to argue this point.

At Nationals this year I purchased 6 Ken Griffey 1989 Upper Deck Rookie Cards for $8.00 a piece. At first glance, all four corners were sharp, great centering! I thought to myself WOW, I cant pass this deal up!

I sent 3 to PSA and 3 to Beckett to be graded. The 3 I got back from PSA were all sent back to me not slabbed as "tampered" with. BGS graded their 3 as 8, 8 and 8.5. Looks like the BGS messed up there.

Now when I look back at it, I think the reason I got them for $8.00 a piece is because the dealer knew they were tampered with.
(10-22-2011, 04:09 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Well, he didn't respond to me made he'll respond to you.
Yep, there on the back, Egg Yolk on my face Smile When did they start doing this? My customers want to see it on the front? I want to see it on the front!

Thanks Beckett for telling me this new practice of yours!
Everyone please keep in mind, I am Sicilian and have the Temper of Lucifer. I never mean bad to anyone. My wife says I am in PMS mode 20 days a month.

(10-22-2011, 04:10 PM)sonnyday Wrote: Nolan, I appreciate the comment but I have a great story to argue this point.

At Nationals this year I purchased 6 Ken Griffey 1989 Upper Deck Rookie Cards for $8.00 a piece. At first glance, all four corners were sharp, great centering! I thought to myself WOW, I cant pass this deal up!

I sent 3 to PSA and 3 to Beckett to be graded. The 3 I got back from PSA were all sent back to me not slabbed as "tampered" with. BGS graded their 3 as 8, 8 and 8.5. Looks like the BGS messed up there.

Now when I look back at it, I think the reason I got them for $8.00 a piece is because the dealer knew they were tampered with.

Yep, there on the back, Egg Yolk on my face Smile When did they start doing this? My customers want to see it on the front? I want to see it on the front!

Thanks Beckett for telling me this new practice of yours!
They've been putting them on the back for a fair amount of time.

I sent in 4 PSA 10's to Beckett and they came back as, well I can't remember the wording, so I'll just use your's and say "tampered" with.

(10-22-2011, 02:55 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I get them back today and crap was I screwed on grading! I put all my cards through the magnifying glass and examine closely to assure all corners are sharp, edges smooth, centering near perfect and surface clean.
Do you use a loupe or a regular magnifying glass?

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

I use a Motic DS2 Microscope with a millimeter marked lense for measuring centering (had fabricated by a friend), I have several lenses but the 20mm works the best for cards. Bought for $250.00 bucks 2 years ago. Great investment.

sounds nicer than the midrange loupe I use... I rarely have been off on my guesstimate on grading, the best bet it sounds like for you if it is 9.5 or bust (I honestly think you did really well with your grades with BGS.. I wouldn't say a BGS 9.5 = a PSA 10 like a lot of other people are saying. as BGS is generally MUCH stricter with their grades, and for the most part in any examples I have experienced personally a PSA 10 is easier to attain than a BGS 9.5+ I can't put figures to it, obviously but just because an item is a PSA 10 I wouldn't guarantee of 100% assume it will come back a BGS 9.5

anyway what I was getting to if you feel for the value a PSA 10 would be your best bet for your customers and they appreciate it...then go with that. you know your customers and what they want no reason to not provide. if you do want to go with BGS you can set a minimum grade for the items, for example if you wanted nothing to come back lower than a 9.5 on certain cards you could mark it as such. that way it would not get slabbed if it was a 9.0 or less. you still get charged but it would save you from having something that you might be able to sell raw better than encased in a 8.5 or 9 holder

i'd personally take a BGS 9.5 over any PSA 10 counterpart for any modern cards just because I like the cases/look of the BGS slabs. really do not like the look or feel of the PSA cases
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors