`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case Break--2011 Topps "Deception"

Case Break--2011 Topps "Deception"
So, this is the story of my 2011 Topps Inception case break. I wasn't sure if I should share it but we'll see what everyone thinks.

I pre-ordered a case of Inception in the spring. The cards looked beautiful, it got some good early press, and I figured that if the box prices went up after it went on sale I could sell some of the boxes and if they didn't I could just bust them over time.

Case gets in, I break 5 boxes in the first few weeks. My only notable hits are a Randall Cobb auto patch/75 and a Cobb auto patch/25. These only became notable hits because he scores 2 TD's in week 1. The other hits were all no name rookies, mostly high numbered. I knew the product wasn't all it was made out to be and Ebay confirmed that I wasn't alone....

So....I take a break for a while to decide what I want to do with the remaining 3 boxes. The thought occurs to me....if the first 5 boxes sucked, then there HAS to be at least 1 major hit somewhere in the remaining 3 boxes.

And, the major hit of my case was........

Alex Green Silver Sharpie Auto/25.

Seriously? An ENTIRE case and not a single auto of ANY of the top rookies. I get that they're all rookies and only time will tell which cards are valuable but how could I not even get a SINGLE card of a top rookie.

I'm sorry but if I buy a case of a product and all the hits are rookies I expect to get an auto of at least 1 of the top guys. IMO, there are 7 high end rookies this year (Newton, Locker, Ponder, Dalton, Ingram, Julio Jones, AJ Green). In 8 boxes and 24 hits, I got exactly 1 card of these players and it was a Locker single color jersey.

I am HUGELY disappointed in Topps.
Looking for QB autos & New York Giants

http://s1103.photobucket.com/home/blevins26/index

RE: Case Break--2011 Topps "Deception"
You lose some and you win some. While disappointing, its the nature of the beast.

All of the lower tier rookies have high print runs and the higher tier rookies are all SP's. That's usually how it goes, unfortunately. Lots of Bilal Powell, Jerrel Jernigan, and Taiwan Jones and very little Cam, Julio, A.J., etc.

I would say that we should be thankful that they do it that way... if there were 4,000 Cam autos in a set, then the value of that card would be diminished as compared to a /10. It's all about supply and demand.

(10-12-2011, 11:16 PM)crtorres7382 Wrote: You lose some and you win some. While disappointing, its the nature of the beast.
Yep........Undecided

I get that boxes are hit or miss, that's understandable. And to be clear I'm not saying I'm entitled to a Cam auto because I bought a case or a 1/1 or anything ridiculous. Even something like a Dalton auto/75 would have been fine. All I'm saying is that there should have been at least 1 auto of one of the top guys. Every hit in the product is a rookie so the only real "mojo" on a pre-season release is going to be guys who have a lot of hype going in. I kind of expect that there's at least 1 auto of a top 10 guy.
Looking for QB autos & New York Giants

http://s1103.photobucket.com/home/blevins26/index

(10-12-2011, 11:16 PM)crtorres7382 Wrote: You lose some and you win some. While disappointing, its the nature of the beast.
+1. It happens. Inception is certainly one of the better products released this year.

thats why I will never buy rookie hit only boxes....
I have really quit buying boxes almost all together.
If you do buy rookie hit only product....you are going to loose your money unless you hit a super sick card of one of the top 2 or 3 guys.
The only full box I have busted this year was Elite...just bc I couldnt help myself....I got lucky and hit a Cam auto.
but at that time I still could have probably bought that cam for less than the box cost.

Really all it boils down to is this...
If you enjoy busting wax enough to risk getting nothing...then take that risk and hey you may hit something sick.

If you want a sure fire thing...and especially if you like to collect certain players or teams....you are much better off just buying what you like or picking up stuff at the right time and trading it away....has worked good for me so far.

I would be upset as well sorry
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

I would be upset as well sorry
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK