`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 Topps Gridiron Legends set

2011 Topps Gridiron Legends set
Just walked through target and saw a new product on the shelf. Hesitant to buy much retail without learning about it first. Anybody have any info on this? Is there a retail/hobby version difference like there is for Topps Prime? Anybody have a checklist? Where in the lineup does this set fall?

I did buy 3 packs... but I guess I'll post that in the 'box break' section. Nothing terribly exciting out of the 3 I got, but the set looks nice. White background, pretty clean design. Not sure what to make of it yet.
SuperCollecting: Jamie Harper of the TN Titans & Lee Smith Buffalo Bills Patriots 5th rd TE from Marshall. Also TN Titans, Recent Former TN Vols, Ladanian Tomlinson for my 8 yr old son and various others. Sets for 2011 R&S, 2011 Threads, 2011 Inception Base & Blue, 2011 Platinum & Gold, 2011 Finest

RE: 2011 Topps Gridiron Legends set
I think it was suppossed to hit hobby on 10/12... Interested to see what you got in your packs!

Can anybody answer if retail and hobby are different?
SuperCollecting: Jamie Harper of the TN Titans & Lee Smith Buffalo Bills Patriots 5th rd TE from Marshall. Also TN Titans, Recent Former TN Vols, Ladanian Tomlinson for my 8 yr old son and various others. Sets for 2011 R&S, 2011 Threads, 2011 Inception Base & Blue, 2011 Platinum & Gold, 2011 Finest

I picked up 2 boxes of this stuff yesterday. You get 4 hits per hobby box. I was really not impressed.

Topps chose to call this product "GRIDIRON LEGENDS" - but the hits in a box are typically all 2011 rookie jerseys (plain - one color - unnumbered) and autos. The odds on getting anything from a retired or HOF player are astronomical. I got lucky with pulling a redemption for a 1956 reprint autograph, but even those aren't numbered it seems...

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

(10-13-2011, 10:05 AM)jaykayzee Wrote: I picked up 2 boxes of this stuff yesterday. You get 4 hits per hobby box. I was really not impressed.

Topps chose to call this product "GRIDIRON LEGENDS" - but the hits in a box are typically all 2011 rookie jerseys (plain - one color - unnumbered) and autos. The odds on getting anything from a retired or HOF player are astronomical. I got lucky with pulling a redemption for a 1956 reprint autograph, but even those aren't numbered it seems...
Well that sucks. Any idea if the 'base' cards from hobby and retail are the exact same, as is the case in Topps Platinum, or if they are different, like say Topps Prime. ??

I'm guessing hobby and retail base are the same. Just isn't that high-end of a product. I got 6 packs today, and based on jaykay's post, did alright. Got a DJ Williams auto and a Cam Newtron jsy #/99. Decent stuff for $5/pack.

Do the retail packs have 1 of the blue background parallels in each pack too (like the hobby)?
Always interested in any Wisco alums I don't have.
[Image: banner2_zpsa33ddbe8.jpg]
The Wisconsin Collection

No I don't think so, there was 1 'thick' card per pack though, and the others seemed to be about the same type of card-stock as the standard Topps set.

Yeah, I got 3 boxes of this today, and my hits are listed. Not one hit that wasn't a rookie. That's kind of annoying for something named "Gridiron "Legends", I might buy some more after some boxes cycle out and the collation spreads a bit.
Looking for: Urlacher, Hester, Forte, Knox, Cutler, and other Bears "Star" players. Even old school if you've got 'em.

(10-13-2011, 01:29 PM)sconnienation3 Wrote: I'm guessing hobby and retail base are the same. Just isn't that high-end of a product. I got 6 packs today, and based on jaykay's post, did alright. Got a DJ Williams auto and a Cam Newtron jsy #/99. Decent stuff for $5/pack.

Do the retail packs have 1 of the blue background parallels in each pack too (like the hobby)?
Yes, I bought a blaster just to see what the product looked like. All 8 packs had a "blue" thick card in them. Also, I got zero hits other than a numbered Ray Rice ( red version #'d to 75 ). I may get a hobby box and try my luck at pulling one of the two Ward autos.
Looking for Hines Ward rookies (that I do not have), low numbered parallels and autos. Also, Bowman Chrome Baseball autos.
I normally send trades on Tuesday's and/or Friday's due to work.

http://s244.photobucket.com/user/nynkefan7/library/?sort=6&page=1

you should just trade the Cam Newton to me Smile

(10-13-2011, 01:29 PM)sconnienation3 Wrote: I'm guessing hobby and retail base are the same. Just isn't that high-end of a product. I got 6 packs today, and based on jaykay's post, did alright. Got a DJ Williams auto and a Cam Newtron jsy #/99. Decent stuff for $5/pack.