`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What got you collecting?

RE: What got you collecting?
(10-07-2011, 04:51 PM)pbean Wrote: honestly don't remember Sad just love spending time with jr in the hobby is about all I can say Smile what about you T Smile
I saw all the other kids collecting in school and it didn't hurt that Cal Ripken Jr was a rookie around that time. Mom took me to a game and bam led right into collecting him Smile

I have a neighbor that is a single mom and has two boys. I am getting a box of cards together to give him. Hoping to get him into the hobby.
[Image: Msimonds.png]

My Collection is at 100% right now!! I am 100% with Dallas Cowboys Rookie Class Threads AND 100% with Dallas Cowboys Playoff Contenders RC Autos .... until next year Smile

I believe I started collecting around 4th grade because that's what the guys in my grade were doing. At the time it was basketball cards that were all the rage with Hakeem Olajuwon and Shaquille O'Neal and his brief partner in crime Penny Hardaway. We went through a lot of fads in my elementary school from collecting Goosebump books, to pogs, and basketball cards. I collected the entire 94-95 Skybox Emotions master set during the 5th grade. Still have it to this day in pages and binder 16 years later. Of course after grade school, all the boys I knew lost interest in collecting mainly due to it not being "cool" anymore or they were actually playing sports. I kept it going and have never ever taken a break since 1993. Of course, I am collecting 4 sports now and comic books to go with it.

My grandpa collected for years and years (or maybe he was a hoarder, hmmmm) but he had baseball, football, stamps, figures, trains, models, games (yep hoarder) but he got me into it, mainly by not being helpful at all.

When I did come around to making it my hobby, my entire family was already so into sports, this just seemed like the logical next step. We're all die hard Packers and Brewers fans but it was important for them to teach me all about all sports. I loved collecting mid 90's sets but rarely had the chance to buy a box. I think I was afforded 1 per year. I stopped freshman and soph yr in HS, just didnt have the money, and got a few things jr and sr yr, but then went cold turkey through college 07-10. And now I'm back and loving it.

It was also cool to think I could be one of the people on the cards. I was on the roster Drake University for 2 yrs and measured 6'8" 305 but I affliction of being not good at passblocking
[Image: Gdgj0.png]

PhotoBucket

Top 5 Auto Needs
1. Elijah Pitts
2. Oscar Robertson "Big O"
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo "GA34"
4. Aaron Rodgers "A12R"
5. Aaron Rodgers "A8R"

Dad loves baseball, he'll watch any game, no matter the level. He was into The Big Red Machine and watched them play in Cincinnati as a kid. He took us to S&S Sportscards in Eagle River, and my brothers and I bought tons of football lol.
Basically quit collecting in the 7th or 8th grade (girls were suddenly cool). Got back into it when I was with the wife at Toys R Us buying stuff for the boy in the oven, picked up a blaster of Topps Chrome to see what cards were like, pulled a Peterson rc and an Anthony Gonzalez refractor. Been playing with cardboard ever since.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

My father used to collect baseball and basketball cards. Mainly "old school" Reds, Johnny Bench, etc and we used to go to card shows and LCS's together. I then started to collect mainly Cubs, Ryne Sandberg, Jody Davis, Mark Grace, etc. I lost interest during the 90's. Then about 5 months ago while surfing YouTube late on night I came across Hobby Box Chris's box breaks and spent like two weeks watching box breaks lol. Saw all the new autos/mem/GU etc and it got me interested again.
[Image: 38lDS2Y.png]
Registry http://registry.beckett.com/player-detai...pc_2286189
PC http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/se.../Suh%20PC/
RC - 35/37
Auto - 83/341
1/1- 11
**Banner made by jbel4331**

(10-07-2011, 11:25 PM)sevans1979 Wrote: My father used to collect baseball and basketball cards. Mainly "old school" Reds, Johnny Bench, etc and we used to go to card shows and LCS's together. I then started to collect mainly Cubs, Ryne Sandberg, Jody Davis, Mark Grace, etc. I lost interest during the 90's. Then about 5 months ago while surfing YouTube late on night I came across Hobby Box Chris's box breaks and spent like two weeks watching box breaks lol. Saw all the new autos/mem/GU etc and it got me interested again.
totally OT but..
did I ever tell you that Suh Rainbow is cool as crap? lol

Thanks man. Still want the /10 blue and the 1/1 so keep an eye out haha.

(10-07-2011, 11:30 PM)Marinoisking Wrote: totally OT but..
did I ever tell you that Suh Rainbow is cool as crap? lol
[Image: 38lDS2Y.png]
Registry http://registry.beckett.com/player-detai...pc_2286189
PC http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/se.../Suh%20PC/
RC - 35/37
Auto - 83/341
1/1- 11
**Banner made by jbel4331**

To begin with, football is the best sport out there. Then, I used to manage a convenience store back in the day, and we sold sports cards. A guy opened a pack of 1990 Pro Set and showed me the cards. I fell in love with the photography... and I was hooked.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed