`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is grading cards worth it?

Is grading cards worth it?
Never had a card graded but wondering what makes you want to have a card graded and what service is best to use? Does it really make a big difference in the value of the card or is it just for the heck of it?

RE: Is grading cards worth it?
its really only worth if it its a card that is going to grade in a 9.5 or 10...if it grades in a 9 it wont really change the value and grading below 9 can actually hurt the value.
Unless you are talking about vintage cards....those graded in an 8 or above can really help value.

(10-03-2011, 06:22 PM)Marinoisking Wrote: its really only worth if it its a card that is going to grade in a 9.5 or 10...if it grades in a 9 it wont really change the value and grading below 9 can actually hurt the value.
Unless you are talking about vintage cards....those graded in an 8 or above can really help value.
How much does this service cost? And I guess you have to send it to someone and take the chance that it doesn't get lost or jacked up along the way?

(10-03-2011, 06:27 PM)jjdeloza Wrote: How much does this service cost? And I guess you have to send it to someone and take the chance that it doesn't get lost or jacked up along the way?
it depends man....I know they do a monthly group submission around here and it ends up being like 7 bucks a card I think.
I am not a huge fan of most graded cards...I like to have some graded cards of my PC guys but thats about it.

You do have to mail them...but if you dont want to risk anything you can insure the package at the PO.

IMO you ALWAYS want to grade and autograph of a star player just to protect the autograph. Secondly, I'd have to disagree about grading only 9.5 and 10s, I'd be ok with 9s and 8's. In 20 years, those will look better than the cards that aren't graded. Grading to me is all about preserving the card, and if you value your particular card then you should get it graded - especially if its an auto like i said earlier.
[Image: BeckettBanner.jpg]

Jacquizz PC
Total = (259/354) 73%
Total minus 1/1 = (236/252) 94%

Check out my selling thread majorty of those cards were part group submission during last 6-8 months lmk you think how did. Every singl;e card sent in put minium of 9 to encase anything below a 9 doesnt help increase vale of card.
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1460318.html

(10-03-2011, 06:35 PM)mattfastiggi Wrote: IMO you ALWAYS want to grade and autograph of a star player just to protect the autograph. Secondly, I'd have to disagree about grading only 9.5 and 10s, I'd be ok with 9s and 8's. In 20 years, those will look better than the cards that aren't graded. Grading to me is all about preserving the card, and if you value your particular card then you should get it graded - especially if its an auto like i said earlier.
+10000!!!
JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin

Yeah anything Vintage is worth it but any of the modern day garbage not so much. I mean really on the modern stuff any additional value you'll get value wise when you sell it you've already paid out in having it shipped to the grader, having it graded, and having it shipped back to you.

As far as the other poster that said in 20 years a graded card will look better than one that wasn't. I disagree with that because sure it will display nicer because it's in a case but people now days are so careful to make sure they slide a card right into a top loader and not handle them with their bare hands the quality of the cards won't be that big of a factor IMO. This isn't the 80's anymore where people handled their cards on a daily basis and slid them in and out of collector albums. Now days they go straight from the pack into a top loader where they stay never to see fresh air again.

the Trading card industry has become just like the stock market and it's all about timing as to when to buy and when to sell for maximum profit.

If it's for a personal collection then what's the point of having it graded if you never intend for it to leave your collection ?

I am a very avid grader and agree 100% with Mattfastiggi on this. Grading helps protect the card. I have been grading 10-30 cards a month for the past 4 months and will be sending another 10-20 in this month. In regards to Chevy Man 22 - Opened many boxes recently? Bought many from the bay? Having done both heavily the last year I can say this - Your statement on straight from the pack to toploaders and never seeing air again is totally false. Only about 10% of card handlers are collectors and dont protect cards AND you even get damaged cards from boxes. Your stock market claim I agree with, most people buy cards for resale and half the ebay sellers dont care how your card gets to you as long as it gets to you. So I would argue to say grading will be just as important for cards released today as it is for Vintage cards nowi n 15-20 years. People just dont know what they are handling and its all about the dollar value to most people and companies just dont have the quality control. I can promise you that my graded 8 Sam Bradford rookie card will be more sought after than most raw cards 20 years from now if he turns into a decent QB.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC