`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first T206 came in...

My first T206 came in...
So, I bought my first T206 the other day.....and it was raw and ungraded so I definitely did some research on how to identify a real T206 from a fake one.....and I was pleased to determine (as far as I can tell) that the card is authentic. I checked the font, and it is brown and is how it should be, and the printing seems to be right based on that time period. The T206s used solid ink for colors and halftone (dotted printing) for black (except for the outline around the image. My card fits that description as well. Anyway, here it is, so you don't have to listen to my rambling anymore:

T206 Sweet Caporal Johnny Bates
[Image: T206.jpg]

Pictures kinda blurry (iPhone) but it's quite nice and is in good condition, especially for what I paid ($26).
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

RE: My first T206 came in...
great card for your first one. congrats
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Nice card....I actually found a really honest dealer in tobacco cards. I bought one last year and recently bought a T206 eddie collins. I got it for a great price and surprisingly when I got it in mail it looked to be in better condition...probably EX-MT to NEAR MINT....I might send it for grading. I was trying to get a pic of it on this post...but can't for some reason. I was surprised with my first T206 (only have 2) that they were somewhat flimsy....thought by looking at pics that they were on firm paper stock.
Here is a link to the pic......got it on sportsbuy from a dealer I usually buy from who sells pretty much only vintage.

http://www.sportsbuy.com/images/ordscans/13662204.jpg

Some points to note when buying T206s...not that I am an expert...but i also did some research before buying mine. The Black line around the border should be a solid black border...reprints show a string of black dots under the mircroscope. Also the name and team name...the first letters are slightly larger...while the reprints typically have the same size letters throughout. I also read that you should stay away from cards with back damage...as dishonest sellers try to scratch off or wear off the area that states it is a reprint.....
Here is the link to the T206 museum...

http://www.t206museum.com/page/forgery.html

I bought a collection of 124 of them today...kinda pumped
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

Thanks guys....I learned all about T206 examination from that link at the T206 Museum.....I wasn't about to buy ungraded T206s without knowing what to look for.....my dad was also a professional printer for 30 years and he told me that a great way to test these is to hold them under a blacklight and see if they glow.....some material in modern paper makes it glow under a blacklight and vintage cards from this era shouldn't glow.
(12-23-2011, 09:58 PM)chads-cards Wrote: I bought a collection of 124 of them today...kinda pumped
I'm building the Boston Nat'l team set....have any? If so, willing to trade?
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

Congratulations. I picked my first one a few months ago and I got hooked with these cards.

Nice pick up! Prewar vintage is really the most solid investment you can make for your collection. Back in 1998 cards in your condition were selling for $10-15. Now you cant touch them under $20. Heck even vintage Mantles havent seen a 25-50% value jump in that same time.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

Very nice!! Even though it was not for me thanks for the help everyone. I'm hopeful going to break into an old set at the end of this coming year! I'm saving up for a few of them now!
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

Nice pickup!