`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brendan Shanahan and Player Safety Videos

RE: Brendan Shanahan and Player Safety Videos
(10-02-2011, 01:48 PM)greg2424 Wrote: A clean hockey hit and a clean hockey play are two different things. Players learn early on that you do not run the stars. If you have the "fortitude" to do it then you have to answer the bell. I see nothing wrong with that. That is what makes hockey the game that it is. Please explain how it is that you make a player "pay" for putting your leading scorer on the DL for 4 months?
If a leading scorer ends up on the DL as a result of a clean play, there is nothing to pay for. Hockey is a physical game, and as such everybody is susceptible to injury at some point. If you're willing to play, you're accepting the risk. Why are the checkers and grinders supposed to accept the chance of retaliation (again, I am only talking about clean hits)? Why are the stars not supposed to accept the physical part of the game?
I collect Dany Heatley, Nicklas Backstrom, all Red Wings and most Yankees.

(10-02-2011, 03:19 PM)greg2424 Wrote: I agree and that is a very bad thing in my opinion. Before you know it the NHL is going to be the North American version of European hockey.
I like our North American rough-and-tumble brand of hockey and hope we don't end up taking the thrill out of the game. But if you watch the Shanahan videos, it is very clear that the players who were suspended could have changed their minds about what they were about to do.

Also, the fact that these players are being publicaly humiliated by the NHL as 'repeat offenders' is going to force them to change in a hurry out of embarassment. I noted that all of the players's past history is taken into account, so if they did something years ago that resulted in a suspension, they are already repeat offenders and this will make their punishments harsher. Spud
Photobucket: http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae140/mrspudhead98/
I enjoy Beckett but I don't trade cards anymore.
Favorite quotes "... it will be reported to Canada Rev."
(A966567760846SVermont8911CCC346.1).

Maybe no one's actually disagreeing here, but isn't the Canadian/rough-n-tumble style of play consistent with a star being able to take a crushing hit without expecting the whole team to jump to his defense? I'd think that penalizing shenanigans that occur after a clean hockey 'hit' (just one of many clean hockey 'plays') is supportive of the principle that part of what makes the sport great is its physicality and violence. Wouldn't expecting to "pay a price" for playing hockey within the rules erode that principle?

I guess I think that even a superstar should be able to absorb a legal bruising hit in the NHL without needing his teammates jaw and paw at each other. This is hockey, you should be able to take care of yourself, especially with the new rules and enforcement on headhunting and boarding. If someone crosses the line and there's a clear size imbalance, then you send out the goons to take care of business. Am I off here?
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

(10-02-2011, 04:53 PM)ricebondsmntna2young Wrote: Maybe no one's actually disagreeing here, but isn't the Canadian/rough-n-tumble style of play consistent with a star being able to take a crushing hit without expecting the whole team to jump to his defense? I'd think that penalizing shenanigans that occur after a clean hockey 'hit' (just one of many clean hockey 'plays') is supportive of the principle that part of what makes the sport great is its physicality and violence. Wouldn't expecting to "pay a price" for playing hockey within the rules erode that principle?

I guess I think that even a superstar should be able to absorb a legal bruising hit in the NHL without needing his teammates jaw and paw at each other. This is hockey, you should be able to take care of yourself, especially with the new rules and enforcement on headhunting and boarding. If someone crosses the line and there's a clear size imbalance, then you send out the goons to take care of business. Am I off here?
You are not off here. There will always be a need for tough guys that can take care of business when it is needed - they're just going to have to be a lot smarter (must get at least a B-grade in Goon 101 class).

I'm a Bruins fan, hitting and fighting are part of the game, fans calling the police and roiting are not also fighting in the stands is not part of the game, but for a million dollars feel free to smack me around a couple times a week.
--

(10-02-2011, 06:05 PM)evets1999 Wrote: I'm a Bruins fan, hitting and fighting are part of the game, fans calling the police and roiting are not also fighting in the stands is not part of the game, but for a million dollars feel free to smack me around a couple times a week.
LOL. I'm not a Bruins fan but they sure had the toughness and skill to deservedly win the Cup - I like that! Spud

(10-02-2011, 06:05 PM)evets1999 Wrote: I'm a Bruins fan, hitting and fighting are part of the game, fans calling the police and roiting are not also fighting in the stands is not part of the game, but for a million dollars feel free to smack me around a couple times a week.
well put, I 100% agree
well except for being a Bruins fan, Go Rangers!!

(10-02-2011, 03:28 PM)gmccarth Wrote: If a leading scorer ends up on the DL as a result of a clean play, there is nothing to pay for. Hockey is a physical game, and as such everybody is susceptible to injury at some point. If you're willing to play, you're accepting the risk. Why are the checkers and grinders supposed to accept the chance of retaliation (again, I am only talking about clean hits)? Why are the stars not supposed to accept the physical part of the game?
I give up. You are right. Run over my star player with your 4th liner and then we will wait for our turn and run over your star, and so on, and so on. The game will be so much more entertaining. Crosby, Kane, Hall, a couple Sedins, maybe a Doughty or a Markov all sitting in the press box when they come to town. I can't wait. What fun!!

(10-02-2011, 08:53 PM)greg2424 Wrote: I give up. You are right. Run over my star player with your 4th liner and then we will wait for our turn and run over your star, and so on, and so on. The game will be so much more entertaining. Crosby, Kane, Hall, a couple Sedins, maybe a Doughty or a Markov all sitting in the press box when they come to town. I can't wait. What fun!!
So what would happen if star players hit each other.
I just thought of this scenario to back up my opinion - Toews lays out Spezza, clean hit, open ice, Spezza with his head down. Zenon Konopka decides its his job to instigate a fight with Toews. Toews hits his head on the ice, gets concussed and misses the season. Konopka gets 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting and maybe a game misconduct. Toews gets 5 for fighting and misses the rest of his season. Spezza sits out a shift and is fine for the rest of the game.

So LeBlanc elbows star player Semin in the head last night. Let's see what happens! Spud