`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OT - my job as a public defender - in re Jerome Simpson

OT - my job as a public defender - in re Jerome Simpson
I have always gotten slack "how can you do your job"..."how can you defend that guy"...."if you know he's guilty, how can your conscious handle it..."

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS.

look guys - i just pled a guy out to selling $10 of pot to an undercover cop. this kid was raised in sh!t - lived in a hotel with mom (unemployed for however long) and 4 other siblings. he still stayed in school (but as he said it "i mean, mr. meck, i wasn't a great student because my head wasn't right, but i wanted to stay in school to try and graduate. i wanted to make my mom proud. my brother, he's in this jail too - i don't want to be like him."

17 years old. mom ain't doing nuthin...daddy ain't doing nuthin - and isn't around...he's selling 10 bucks of weed - "to get bus fare so i can get a ride to school and have something to eat". he's 17 - his mom nor his dad has even visited him in jail nor called him...and he's been in jail for 4 MONTHS. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME HE'S EVER BEEN IN TROUBLE.

when i sat down to talk to him at the jail, we just had a normal conversation where it went from me being his lawyer to saying to him: "man, what the hell is the problem. You sound like a very smart kid." And we just talked. I don't do that. I've seen hustlers, con artists, thiefs, dealers, murderers, etc.....This kid was different.

i've done this for 8 years, and i almost wept when the judge thought that he should spend a year in prison....because "well, mr. meck - what you are telling me is that he doesn't have any structure in his life, and his mom and dad don't want to have anything to do with him??!!??

ARE YOU F'IN KIDDING ME! HE'S BEEN ON HIS OWN HIS WHOLE LIFE! HE DIDN'T DROP OUT WHEN HE COULD - HE HELD ON TO SCHOOL BECAUSE ITS HIS ONLY FREAKIN FAMILY!

the kid sucked it up and wiped his own tears away and said "what else can I do? I did it, I'm guilty of it." We sat for a couple of minutes in the holding cell and he held his head up and looked at me. "Thank you. I need to go ahead and take care of it. Thank you for your help."

This is a response to Jerome Simpson and his marijuana BS. He ain't no little kid trying to just get by because his parents are garbage. Whatever your feelings on drug legalization - it doesn't matter. it is the law, but there is always mitigating circumstances.

My client will get a year. Jerome Simpson will get nothing.
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

RE: OT - my job as a public defender - in re Jerome Simpson
(09-22-2011, 09:29 PM)ugameck Wrote: Whatever your feelings on drug legalization - it doesn't matter. it is the law, but there is always mitigating circumstances.
It is,however,an unjust law.

(09-22-2011, 09:29 PM)ugameck Wrote: My client will get a year. Jerome Simpson will get nothing.
A year for 10 bucks of pot with no prior record?!?!?!?! What state do you live in? That is crazy.

Very sad but true. I feel for the kid and you as I can tell you took him to heart. And i know you did everything you could for him, but it also sounds like a real hard assed judge. 1 year for a first offense bag of weed. Something isnt right about that at all.
[Image: IMG_0004-3-1-1-1-1.jpg][Image: dcb5423c-6775-419e-9e21-4965884632ba.jpg]

(09-22-2011, 10:00 PM)bostonsports1 Wrote: A year for 10 bucks of pot with no prior record?!?!?!?! What state do you live in? That is crazy.
I know right when I was younger I had cops throw more then that down the sewer and let me go. It's medically legal here now so people that want to can get a card for it easy enough. I don't like it anymore though but back then I loved it Smile
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

(09-22-2011, 10:06 PM)deuce6000 Wrote: I know right when I was younger I had cops throw more then that down the sewer and let me go. It's medically legal here now so people that want to can get a card for it easy enough. I don't like it anymore though but back then I loved it Smile
Lol so true, I've been let go for much worse as a kid.

If anything this kid should have gotten probation and put in some sort of program.

Jail is the last place a kid in a situation like that needs to be. Itll just harden him up, jails are just a school for criminals really.Sounds like he needs a foster home or people that care.
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

I dont feel sorry for "kids" who get in trouble for selling weed/pills to make money NO MATTER what the circumstances are. There are 100s of ways to make money legally. Its up to that person to choose to do the right thing. Most people choose to do the wrong thing because it seems to be an easier choice. Having said that 1 year for a dime bag is absurd and I think weed should be legal. However if you take the risk to deal then take the wrath that comes with it if you get busted.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(09-22-2011, 10:14 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: I dont feel sorry for "kids" who get in trouble for selling weed/pills to make money NO MATTER what the circumstances are. There are 100s of ways to make money legally. Its up to that person to choose to do the right thing. Most people choose to do the wrong thing because it seems to be an easier choice. Having said that 1 year for a dime bag is absurd and I think weed should be legal. However if you take the risk to deal then take the wrath that comes with it if you get busted.
my little brother got busted with a bong and about 40 bucks worth last year (he was 17 as well)
and he got like 2 months of probation and that was it.

(09-22-2011, 10:00 PM)bostonsports1 Wrote: A year for 10 bucks of pot with no prior record?!?!?!?! What state do you live in? That is crazy.
he lives in the south..Georgia i do believe and really all of the south is tough on the "gateway"drug..right ugameck?..please correct me if i'm wrong....i live in oregon... real close to Cali if you know what i mean...VERY liberal.. but fair..under an ounce used to be a $110 fine and day in court when i was growing up...now you lose your DL for a YEAR if you dont complete this drug course....the kid who works for me finished the 6 months of classes when he was 22 or something..he was whining too..LOL..
2007 FotG NFL Prime 130/133
2009 FotG NFL Prime 66/90
2010 FotG NFL Prime 103/103
DONE
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...ECUT%20SET
2011 Playbook Prime 68/95