`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: What do you think about Panini's products to date?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I like only their high end products.
1.85%
1 1.85%
I like only their low end products.
0%
0 0%
I like a few of their products.
29.63%
16 29.63%
I like one of their products.
1.85%
1 1.85%
I like all of their products.
5.56%
3 5.56%
I don't like any of their products.
5.56%
3 5.56%
Shows promise, but I miss UD/Topps more.
37.04%
20 37.04%
Shows promise, they'll give UD/Topps good competition in the future should they all be licensed.
11.11%
6 11.11%
I'm indifferent.
1.85%
1 1.85%
I have not bought any of their products.
5.56%
3 5.56%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panini in Review
Thumbs Up 
Panini in Review
I know that many collectors miss Upper Deck and Topps for their own reasons; Chrome, Refractors, Jordan, LeBron, etc. However, seeing as how there are no new products to release right now because of the current labor situation, I wanted to take time to see if we could look back at Panini and the products they've released to date and maybe give feedback to Panini in hopes of bettering the product. Please vote in the poll and leave any critiques, comments or concerns that you have for Panini. Now, please keep this TOS appropriate. Thank you very much.

UPDATE: For those who don't know about the exclusive deal.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

RE: Panini in Review
Other: I dislike all of their products. However, within each product, there are a handful of nice cards. So I just buy singles.

Topps chrome and Finest were staples of the collecting world. It really sucks that you will no longer be able to go after your chrome and finest RC's anymore.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

(09-20-2011, 03:00 PM)briankort Wrote: Topps chrome and Finest were staples of the collecting world. It really sucks that you will no longer be able to go after your chrome and finest RC's anymore.
However, that is not a reflection on Panini. That's more of a reflection of the business aspect of the NBA and card manufacturers. UD and Topps had their chances of continuing their licenses, but it didn't happen.

(09-20-2011, 03:20 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: However, that is not a reflection on Panini. That's more of a reflection of the business aspect of the NBA and card manufacturers. UD and Topps had their chances of continuing their licenses, but it didn't happen.
I don't know how it all went down, but I can't imagine Topps and UD just decided to quit making cards for NBA players. I am guessing they were outbid by Panini or decided licensing fees were too much. If you have more info on how/why we find ourselves without Topps and UD it would be much appreciated.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

(09-20-2011, 04:03 PM)briankort Wrote: I don't know how it all went down, but I can't imagine Topps and UD just decided to quit making cards for NBA players. I am guessing they were outbid by Panini or decided licensing fees were too much. If you have more info on how/why we find ourselves without Topps and UD it would be much appreciated.
I've updated the main post.

Panini's contract for an "EXCLUSIVE" NBA license agreement made it finacially implausible for Topps and UD to continue their NBA license agreement. It was basically part of the contract that the NBA has with Panini. Any other license agreements were going to cost the NBA too much money that Panini had on the table.

That in turn made the price for another license agreement that the NBA could offer other companies not profitable to Upperdeck and Topps. I don't think that there were even negotiations for a license agreement because there was no way the profit margins were going to be good enough for UD and Topps.

Just as Panini and the NBA new would be the case, after their license agreement was set into motion.

Money does make the world go round, not love.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

I don't mind what panini is putting out. Okay, i can't afford to buy boxes of everything they put out, but overall, I don't mind them. Don't forget, when Skybox, Fleer, topps and Upper deck started out their first couple of years of product weren't that crash-hot design-wise either.

As to the contract issues, Upper Deck and Topps cited economic times for their refusal to renew their licensing contracts. It still did not stop upper deck from signing an exclusive deal with the NCAA and CLC the very next week. Nor did it stop Upper or Topps from putting out even more high end products for their remaining licenses. Panini is now in the four major US sports - as well as their European commitments (mainly Soccer - EPL, EuroLeague, La Liga, BBK, Bundesliga) - and seem to have plenty of cash to spare in the "tough"economic times. Considering the legal issues Upper Deck has had over the last two years (Konami, MLBP, MLBPA, Kareem Abul-Jabbar to name the publicised ones), I think it's only a matter of time until Upper Deck goes the way of Fleer and Skybox. After all, Panini now has the license for Hoops which Upper acquired in the fleer licensing buyout.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

You have to remember also that Upper Deck just sued themselves. Smile I found that hilarious.

I enjoy Panini's cards, but they are trying squeeze every penny out of us collectors. Just about every product costs over a $100 when the first come out. I usually buy my wax at my LCS, but prices are higher than on the internet. (I am always scared that the boxes or cases are searched. Once the seller pulls the case hit, they sale off the rest of the boxes.)

I understand "hi-end" products, but I would not consider a few of the high cost boxes to be high end. Like Limited. When they first came out there were $100 or somewhere around there. They dropped over time after most of the big pulls were found..

I like National Treasures & Elite Black, but tired of high price boxes for only a few cards. I didn't buy any National Treasures last year. I bought 3 boxes of them this year at $380-400. I got two good pulls. A RC/auto worth $350 & a All Decades auto /5 (Kareem, Kevin Mchale, Darryl Dawkins, Bernard King). Also, bought one pack of Gold Standard, which I dislike mainly because of the price ($200). Other LCS in San Diego area said $200-250. Even two stores in Los Angeles said $250.

All the LCS I been to do not sale very much basketball. only a hand full of collectors. I always ask what is the age range of the collectors when I am at the LCS. 90% of the time, they are collectors that grew up in the 90's or before.. I started collecting in 88/89. I used to put my cards in my basketball spokes before that.. being an 80's baby.

I will not buy any high end products, because I can not afford them. I picked up a few singles of Elite Black, which I love the design. Just hope they do not chip easily going from one collector to the other. I bought 5 singles online in the last few days.. all are $10-28. So why would I spend money on a pack of only a few cards...? I'd be crazy.. I can get more cards for the money I spend by buying singles.. I can get a Kobe auto for less than a pack of cards... who wouldn't pass that up.

Panini flooded the market with Kobe autos... no everybody can have one.. there are so many kobe autos, in my opinion... it will drive the market down...

NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*