Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WILD GOOSE CHASE>>>>>>>>>>
Sad 
WILD GOOSE CHASE>>>>>>>>>>
OK- as it states in my sig, I am looking to build a set of 1997-98 SPA SOTT Stars and Rookies autograph set.

This was a set that I just loved when it came out and as a kid I traded a Kobe Chrome RC to an LCS for a box of this SPA and cash. Confused I had hopes of pulling a nice auto since it was one of the first NBA licensed boxes that came with an auto in every box.

Well back then I got a Kerry Kittles SOTT autograph, needless to say I wasn't thrilled. Angry I still enjoyed the set design and just loved the die-cut autos. Now as I try to put this set together (here recently) I have noticed an issue with the Beckett's database checklist that I WAS using.

Here there are 12 cards in this set.....

http://www.beckett.com/search#set_id=314...lt_type=59

AND

Here there are 11 cards in this set.....

http://sports.upperdeck.com/collectorszo...baspa.html

It looks as though Beckett thinks that there is a Chris Mullin autograph in the set that I am trying to build. I have seen the Trade card and the regular SOTT. I have searched and searched many times for the Stars & Rookies version and it does not exist (not even in trade form).

Even when I have found the card listed elsewhere as the S&R version, it turns out to be the regular SOTT, not the S&R version.

Is there anyway to report this to Beckett so that they can correct it???

How can you gather sales history on a card that was never made and then set a price based on a sales history that doesn't exist? Dodgy Is there really a method to the maddness on the pricing that Beckett provides??? Huh

I am also curious to see if any of you have found any other cards listed in the Beckett database that do not exist.

Please post if you have had a similiar experience with the Beckett database.

MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

RE: WILD GOOSE CHASE>>>>>>>>>>
No I've never had that problem before.... but as for your quest, which SOTT autos do you have already? That Jordan is a dream card of mine and I believe it goes for around 5 Grand!!!!!

I have seen it and as far as I can tell there's no method lol.. Not sure where they get their prices from, educated guesses, redemption card sales?? No clue, here's two off the top of my head that are priced yet don't exist..

2000 Playoff Momentum Game Day Signatures #GDS40 F.Taylor/M.Brunell #/25*
2000 Playoff Momentum Game Day Signatures #GDS19 Fred Taylor #/75*

I don't know all the ins and outs of it but here is what I know...

Beckett obtains checklists from the manufacturers and from the product (like how you get a checklist from Gold Standard, National Treasures, etc.). That's normally what they put in the database. Now, if they have redemptions for some of the cards, Beckett doesn't necessarily know that. They also aren't informed by the manufacturer if a card was never created/signed.

As for the prices, to my knowledge it's a mix between sales of like players in the set and similar products. Also, if there are redemption cards, those sales can go into the price as well. To my knowledge, there's no SET formula per se that is just on sales of that particular item. But I could be wrong.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Xtreme- that other link is the UD checklist, that is the one that Bekcett is supposed to have used. There is also an old "in box" checklist that I had stored away from years back, it doesn't contain the Mullin auto in question from the SOTT Stars and Rookies set.

The oldest Beckett magazine I could find (2004) and that I happen to still have, has the Mullin listed as a different price. So, this card that does not appearently exist has actually fluctuated in price according to Beckett.

I am not saying that Beckett is ripping anyone off by this one discrepecy. I understand how many different cards that are listed in that database and some are going to be incorrect listings in some way.

Collectors pay for a guide and I just would love if Beckett had a forum to track the inconsistencies that members could report them to and action could be taken to change it. Bekcett has had most of the same listing errors in their database for a long time now. They should want to improve thier product.

(09-06-2011, 08:14 PM)bengu Wrote: No I've never had that problem before.... but as for your quest, which SOTT autos do you have already? That Jordan is a dream card of mine and I believe it goes for around 5 Grand!!!!!
I am missing the Drexler, the stockton trade card (he didn't sign), and of course the MJ auto.

I might track down another trade card of the MJ, the last one sold on ebay for close to $300 (almost as much as a cheaper MJ auto).

I can dream about having that MJ auto, can't I?

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it.

MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....

(09-07-2011, 09:29 AM)got watcha want Wrote: Xtreme- that other link is the UD checklist, that is the one that Bekcett is supposed to have used. There is also an old "in box" checklist that I had stored away from years back, it doesn't contain the Mullin auto in question from the SOTT Stars and Rookies set.

The oldest Beckett magazine I could find (2004) and that I happen to still have, has the Mullin listed as a different price. So, this card that does not appearently exist has actually fluctuated in price according to Beckett.

I am not saying that Beckett is ripping anyone off by this one discrepecy. I understand how many different cards that are listed in that database and some are going to be incorrect listings in some way.

Collectors pay for a guide and I just would love if Beckett had a forum to track the inconsistencies that members could report them to and action could be taken to change it. Bekcett has had most of the same listing errors in their database for a long time now. They should want to improve thier product.

I am missing the Drexler, the stockton trade card (he didn't sign), and of course the MJ auto.

I might track down another trade card of the MJ, the last one sold on ebay for close to $300 (almost as much as a cheaper MJ auto).

I can dream about having that MJ auto, can't I?

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it.
I'll have to find the email, but there is an email similar to or exactly basketballmag@beckett.com and you email them with additions, corrections and subtractions and they will investigate and then take action if necessary. If I find it, I'll let you know. Thanks.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(09-07-2011, 08:31 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: I don't know all the ins and outs of it but here is what I know...

Beckett obtains checklists from the manufacturers and from the product (like how you get a checklist from Gold Standard, National Treasures, etc.). That's normally what they put in the database. Now, if they have redemptions for some of the cards, Beckett doesn't necessarily know that. They also aren't informed by the manufacturer if a card was never created/signed.

As for the prices, to my knowledge it's a mix between sales of like players in the set and similar products. Also, if there are redemption cards, those sales can go into the price as well. To my knowledge, there's no SET formula per se that is just on sales of that particular item. But I could be wrong.
So basically all the people that argued that Beckett doesn't "make up" the prices are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

quavis - I wouldn't consider the prices "made up" per say.

It is not like the **GUIDE** to prices that Beckett provides is completely false. Most all of the singles fall in between the low and high colum when sold, from my own selling experience.

Is Beckett accurate when it comes to ebay's auction listings' final prices? NO.

Is it handy to have a price guide when going to shows or searching for items that you have little or no pricing information on? YES.

I just want to hit home on the idea that Beckett provides a guide and only a guide. Don't expect accuracy in pricing always and if your using the database as a checklist, then you can expect some inconsistencies there as well. I see so many collectors basing not just trading values on the Beckett guide but the way they collect is affected as well.

As collectors we should all keep an open mind when chasing cards we want. I myself wasted hours looking for a card because I let Beckett's database determine the card I was chasing instead of digging up a checklist directly from the company that produced the set.

Xtreme- if you find that email I would love to help keep the Bekcett's database accurate. Thanks
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....

But the card doesn't exist...... So they made it up right?
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

If the card did exist, wouldn't it most likely fall into the high/low range on price when it was hypothetically sold???

I think it is crazy to think that Beckett has confirmed sales on every card that they list a price for in thier price guide. They have to base most of these prices on comparable card attributes, sets, and players.

Techinically speaking it was derived from market information, not "made up".

So, litterally speaking it was an educated guess that was made, not a "made up" guess at a price.

P.S. I should work for Beckett with the spin I just put on that!!!
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....