`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
Show Me a BETTER Patch Than This...

RE: Show Me a BETTER Patch Than This...(LEAFS, pg. 50)
(09-22-2011, 02:05 PM)jafi1972 Wrote: I ended up getting that Horton on ebay for about $8 after shipping. Thought it would be neat to have a Tim horton card. Tongue
hey for under $10 you can't go wrong!
(09-22-2011, 03:46 PM)mrspudhead Wrote: Wow, over 9000 views. Great thread rice. For those of you in Canada, you may see me on Global TV tonight as I was at the Black Cultural Centre of Nova Scotia today for several hours. My great-grandfather's cane is in this museum. Also a large poster of Boston Bruin's Willie O'ree is on display. Spud
that is pretty cool Spud. let me know if any online video is posted
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

RE: Show Me a BETTER Patch Than This...(bimola picks a team, pg. 54)
Well apparently this is what utter domination looks like in card form. When you've got a 1/1 nameplate of a Hall of Famer that gets completely out-shined by 3 of your own cards, you know you brought it.

Leafs' Final Tally

bimola's Sittler Enshrined: 7 (bonnev; vadim; pretzel; alto; doddy; spud; ty4)
bimola's Sundin (16/35) Ultimate : 7? (cheat; rice; powell; wick; iluv; crawler; ono?)
bimola's Sundin (30/35) Ultimate : 1 (jafi)
jafi1972's Horton UM: 1 (blue)

Congratulations to bimola for breaking through in a big way with your Sittler. Who knew they could fit so much patch on one card?

Because there's some confusion with the Sundin (16/35) vote, I went with Sittler, but 7 votes are 7 votes, so let me know if you'd rather have Sundin (16/35) up there. Either way, we await your pick...

(09-22-2011, 12:08 AM)ricebondsmntna2young Wrote: The new entries are beautiful cards to be sure. It's as if you can't submit a card without some lettering involved this time around.

But the needle hasn't moved much since this afternoon and if THESE new ones aren't going to shake off any votes for bimola's ridiculous crop, we might be able to call this early tomorrow morning.

Leafs Vote

bimola's Sundin (16/35) Ultimate : 6? (cheat; rice; powell; wick; ono?; crawler?)
bimola's Sittler Enshrined: 4 (bonnev; vadim; pretzel; iluv; alto)
bimola's Sundin (30/35) Ultimate : 1 (jafi)
jafi1972's Horton UM: 1 (blue)

Don't worry guys...we'll leave it open for as long as you need to get your cards up and get them properly voted on. We want as many cards to be seen before closing the vote so I'll open the Leafs round for 24 more hours or longer if need be.

The Leafs round is supposed to be a big deal and I can think of a few others that are going to require more than a day to suss out. If I close a round early, it's only because I'm getting no indications that there are further cards to be seen. Speak up any time if you think I'm closing too early.

(09-22-2011, 11:44 AM)cheatinc Wrote: Methinks that manufactured patches like the horton should have their own category/thread since they're usually designed to be extra flashy...
I agree...since sometimes it's hard to tell what's manufactured. Let's exclude manufactured patches from here on out since they can't really win anyway.

(09-22-2011, 03:46 PM)mrspudhead Wrote: Wow, over 9000 views. Great thread rice. For those of you in Canada, you may see me on Global TV tonight as I was at the Black Cultural Centre of Nova Scotia today for several hours. My great-grandfather's cane is in this museum. Also a large poster of Boston Bruin's Willie O'ree is on display. Spud
Thanks a lot Spud. Hopefully, you can get a youtube video up. I'd like to watch it here in the States. I'm venturing pretty far off from hockey but, was your great-grandfather black? I have no idea what your book's about, but I know that Canadians deal with race very differently than here in the States, so I'm hoping we'll get a chance to see a few excerpts.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

Do you know if it will be a national or regional story?

(I understand that might be a stupid question)
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

(09-22-2011, 03:54 PM)ricebondsmntna2young Wrote: Thanks a lot Spud. Hopefully, you can get a youtube video up. I'd like to watch it here in the States. I'm venturing pretty far off from hockey but, was your great-grandfather black? I have no idea what your book's about, but I know that Canadians deal with race very differently than here in the States, so I'm hoping we'll get a chance to see a few excerpts.
Yes he was a Black sleeping-car porter with the Intercolonial Railway that ran from Halifax to Montreal. I am an 8th-generation African Canadian with my roots going back to a slave on a plantation in Annapolis, Maryland. My father was a Korean War verteran (1951), Peacekeeper in Gaza (1966), and my hockey coach when I was a PeeWee (early 1960s). After retiring from the Canadian Forces, he was the manager of a brand new sports center near Canadian Forces Base Petawawa (a few hours drive west of Ottawa, Ontario) and drove a mean Zamboni. He grew up in Montreal, personally knew Jean Beliveau and Dickie Moore, and was at the Forum when the Richard riot broke out - he told me lots of stories about what he saw on St. Catherine's Street that night. He died in 2004 but would have adored P.K. Subban! Spud
Photobucket: http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae140/mrspudhead98/
I enjoy Beckett but I don't trade cards anymore.
Favorite quotes "... it will be reported to Canada Rev."
(A966567760846SVermont8911CCC346.1).

Very cool and interesting story Spud my dad as well told me stories about the Richard riot as I was growing up......I could never get enough of those stories as I grew up only a few blocks from the old Forum...I remember very well what St.Catherine street looked like back then and unfortunately today all the familiar places are all gone......but at least I still have those memories......Thanks

(09-22-2011, 05:34 PM)ty4orce Wrote: Very cool and interesting story Spud my dad as well told me stories about the Richard riot as I was growing up......I could never get enough of those stories as I grew up only a few blocks from the old Forum...I remember very well what St.Catherine street looked like back then and unfortunately today all the familiar places are all gone......but at least I still have those memories......Thanks
I bet they are great memories! My dad left me a Habs jersey with a bunch of autos on it from 1993 I think. I can't make out all the names, maybe I'll take some photos and post them here for help with ID. Spud

(09-22-2011, 04:21 PM)mrspudhead Wrote: Yes he was a Black sleeping-car porter with the Intercolonial Railway that ran from Halifax to Montreal. I am an 8th-generation African Canadian with my roots going back to a slave on a plantation in Annapolis, Maryland. My father was a Korean War verteran (1951), Peacekeeper in Gaza (1966), and my hockey coach when I was a PeeWee (early 1960s). After retiring from the Canadian Forces, he was the manager of a brand new sports center near Canadian Forces Base Petawawa (a few hours drive west of Ottawa, Ontario) and drove a mean Zamboni. He grew up in Montreal, personally knew Jean Beliveau and Dickie Moore, and was at the Forum when the Richard riot broke out - he told me lots of stories about what he saw on St. Catherine's Street that night. He died in 2004 but would have adored P.K. Subban! Spud
That really is a fascinating story...I count 4 continents in your family tapestry with only Australia and South America missing, excluding the inhabitable one. But as "Habs" fan, there should only be 6 continents anyway. : )
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

What teams do we have left rice? Spud

(09-22-2011, 05:56 PM)mrspudhead Wrote: What teams do we have left rice? Spud
a fair amount actually at least I think so
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

Spud - that is an impressive story. It's pretty amazing to have that kind of family history that really made a difference in our Canadian society.

Thanks to everyone for the votes - I'm pretty proud of my Leafs collection (die hard fan from day 1). For our next team, I'd like to honour Mike Modano's retirement and go with:

Minnesota/ Dallas (North) Stars.

Here's my only card - can't wait to see the others!

[Image: Collingwood-20110919-00249.jpg]
[Image: NHL-TorontoMapleLeafsFinal500.jpg]

Collecting vintage Leafs and Orr autos and patches. Also looking for ITG Enshrined and Superlative jumbo emblems too!