Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Boxes Of Random

Three Boxes Of Random
Good day, all!

My girl and I were in WalMart yesterday to find a couple of movies, and I decided to hit up the toy section to find some hockey cards. There was not too much there in the way of worthwhile, so I let it be. We went up to the check-out aisles and I looked at the racks for some 2011-12 Victory Rack Packs. I grabbed three, and then noticed a small box on the shelf below. Curious, I picked it up and found a 50% off sticker on it! It was marked down to $6. I found two more, put the Victory back and went with the chance.

These ones were odd... the packaging is a clamshell, and they have a very poor picture of a goalie on the front, with the title being "HOCKEY: NHL Trading Cards, Guaranteed $50 Catalog Value" If that guarantee holds up, this will be a good purchase! So we got in the car and I decided to rip them there. The first one revealed a pack of 20 cards shaped like a goalie glove. They had all of the hot tenders from 1997-98 on them, but no other discernible marks as to what they were. On to the next.

This one was rather heavy. It was another 20 cards, and each one was about a 75 pt thickness from 2001-02 Atomic and were the Statosphere insert set from that year. Not bad. One more to go!

This one had ten cards and were an All-Star insert from 2001-02 Vanguard. They had East Meets West on the front of them and are pretty nice cards. Cool! All three insert sets were complete and we were almost home. When we got in I sat down at the computer and logged in to see what I could find about these sets.

The first goalie insert set is from 1997-98 Pacific Paramount and are the Glove Side Laser Cut. The Patrick Roy from this set is worth $30 alone, and the set is listed over $140 (online guide lists a cumulative of all cards in set, not set value together like in the book)!!! The second is the 2001-02 Atomic Statosphere and books for over $100!!! The third is 2001-02 Vanguard East Meets West and books at $80!!! Wow! I was shocked in these findings! Together there is $320+ in BV and I only paid $18+ tax!

I will be hitting this WalMart up a few more times to see what I can find and hopefully will do this well again! All of these are for trade (after I move) and I am not too willing to break up the sets. If you are interested, please let me know here or through a PM. They are also listed in my Org. FT, but I will not be able to fully respond to a trade offer for the next couple of weeks! Pics will be up later!

Randi

RE: Three Boxes Of Random
Those are some nice finds from retail packs. I wish I could have that kind of luck.
Collecting Patrick Roy and will look at all buckets

Roy PC - https://patrickroycollection.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

(09-03-2011, 07:25 AM)rcm331 Wrote: Those are some nice finds from retail packs. I wish I could have that kind of luck.
You won't believe how many "bad-luck-packs" I have had in the past with retail! I have hit big twice, and nothing every other time! No in-between. Haha!

great fines

by the way, if you search for the set, then load it up, click on "Header Lines" and it will give you common card, completed set price

congrats
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

(09-03-2011, 07:45 AM)bonnev659 Wrote: great fines

by the way, if you search for the set, then load it up, click on "Header Lines" and it will give you common card, completed set price

congrats
Thank you for the heads up, JJ! I have not even noticed it before, but I guess you learn something new every day!

Randi

Congrats on the finds! definitely worth the $6!

Nice find! I hope your luck continues when you got back.
Collect Ray Bourque, Ryan Miller, Patrice Bergeron, Dougie Hamilton

I buy those "Guaranteed $50 Value" things fairly often. You can find some really good stuff in there, usually an insert set from Pacific and sometimes you'll come out with just random cards. I've had good pack and bad pack, but for $6 they're fun to get.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

(09-03-2011, 07:56 AM)rayeates Wrote: Thank you for the heads up, JJ! I have not even noticed it before, but I guess you learn something new every day!

Randi
no problem. i am still learning this "new" website too..
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

Great find, I will have to try a few myself
Always looking for Oiler Cards.  
Currently have 17k + different Oilers Cards
Other Projects
Black Diamond up to 14-15 SPs 
Need 18 McDonald Inserts
Need 5 OPC 09-10 Canadian Heroes Rainbow
Need 5 OPC 12-13 Popups
Need 6 97-98 Donruss Preferred
Need 2 02-03 Topps Heritage
All wants listed in org