`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
90's inserts

90's inserts
Is anybody here beside me concerned about the prices of 90's inserts. I am in my 40's so I grew up watching Jordan, Pippen, Larry Bird, Shaq, Robinson, Rodman, Magic Johnson. Ewing, Olajuwon and many others. But the kids now days know nothing about those players for the most part. Today they are all interested in Durant, Griffin, Lebron, Wade, etc. So if we buy up all these 90's inserts at high prices, who are we going to have to sell them to when we want to retire, or what will they be worth if we pass them on to our children and grandchildren??

Look back at some great players like Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Pete Havlicek, Bob Cousey and tons of other great players. Other than RCs and Autos how many people do you know who are Bill russell supercollectors? Most of us only know about those players because we hear about them from commentators and read about them getting inducted into the HOF and even sometimes we see them at games. But most of us never grew up watching them play and collecting there cards.

What does the future hold for these 90's inserts.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

RE: 90's inserts
I feel like the value of the major stars will be fine, but the semi-stars...i'm afraid of their future value as well. As far as 90's inserts are concerned, I think it is important only to buy major major stars if you are concerned about the value. For people that never saw the players play, they will probably know the bigger personalities more than players like David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, etc...so, to me, I'm only interested in buying Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Magic....and it honestly kind of stops there. Don't get me wrong, I buy much more than just those players from the 90's, but I won't pay as much because those cards would be for my own collecting pleasure only and not for future resale value.
[Image: ui2PY.jpg]

Thanks, you're getting me all worried about the value of my Rodman cards now..

you have a pointthere and I hope I won't be affected too much..

I dont agree, I come from a football town and we dont discuss basketball much. I have always liked basketball but did not start watching it until the sprewell days of the knicks. At any rate if you love the game you will seek out its past.. I never knew until 6 years ago or so that the nba logo was jerry west, I found that out. Wilt chamberlain, bill russell, larry bird were the only names I knew in basketball past but now I know just about all of them. There will always be room for the past!
Personal Collections are as follows :
1) Knicks (anyone who has worn the jersey at one time or another and made a significant impact on the team.)
2) Latrell sprewell
3) Amare Stoudemire
4) Carmelo Anthony
5) Steve Nash
6) Chauncey Billups

(09-02-2011, 06:01 AM)antriarc Wrote: I dont agree, I come from a football town and we dont discuss basketball much. I have always liked basketball but did not start watching it until the sprewell days of the knicks. At any rate if you love the game you will seek out its past.. I never knew until 6 years ago or so that the nba logo was jerry west, I found that out. Wilt chamberlain, bill russell, larry bird were the only names I knew in basketball past but now I know just about all of them. There will always be room for the past!
It says on your profile that your a knicks fan. So how many Knicks cards do you have from before 1986?

Now find a young kid in his teens who collects and ask him how many cards he has from before 2000?

Yes we have knowledge of the past and the players, but how many of us collect them with the exception of RC's and AUTOS?

I'm one of the exceptions. I'm 26 and have cards as far back as 1971-72. However, I'm a super collector of Pistons, but I don't stop at just the Pistons I know or like. Once I get all cards $5 or cheaper, I'm going to start trying to get a high end auto of some of my favorite old players. Not necessarily the ones that I have seen play, but those that I feel changed the game (yeah, that does include MJ, but he's last on the list). What scares me is I see these "new" kids buying up lots of commons then trying to sell each common for crazy prices. For instance, I recently saw a $0.50 Isiah Thomas base card that someone was trying to sell on the bay for $6 with $7 shipping. I also saw one person who had many items for sale and in their title each one said "RARE" when they were all early nineties base cards, not even TTM, not buy backs, no rookies just commons of like Rolando Blackman as an example and they had each one listed for $2.00. They weren't graded or anything. There are so many people out there it seems that try to use the industry as a money making opportunity, know nothing about the industry, and it stinks honestly.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Definitely, I have hundreds of cards and collect any I can get my hands onto. It is hard to get them but Im always on the look out my knicks cards. But I would say from 25 or so of knicks from before 86... but at least 300 other cards from before 86.
Personal Collections are as follows :
1) Knicks (anyone who has worn the jersey at one time or another and made a significant impact on the team.)
2) Latrell sprewell
3) Amare Stoudemire
4) Carmelo Anthony
5) Steve Nash
6) Chauncey Billups

(09-02-2011, 07:14 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: I'm one of the exceptions. I'm 26 and have cards as far back as 1971-72. However, I'm a super collector of Pistons, but I don't stop at just the Pistons I know or like. Once I get all cards $5 or cheaper, I'm going to start trying to get a high end auto of some of my favorite old players. Not necessarily the ones that I have seen play, but those that I feel changed the game (yeah, that does include MJ, but he's last on the list). What scares me is I see these "new" kids buying up lots of commons then trying to sell each common for crazy prices. For instance, I recently saw a $0.50 Isiah Thomas base card that someone was trying to sell on the bay for $6 with $7 shipping. I also saw one person who had many items for sale and in their title each one said "RARE" when they were all early nineties base cards, not even TTM, not buy backs, no rookies just commons of like Rolando Blackman as an example and they had each one listed for $2.00. They weren't graded or anything. There are so many people out there it seems that try to use the industry as a money making opportunity, know nothing about the industry, and it stinks honestly.
Yeah, I saw a listing for an $8 Pippen card. The guy had a starting price of $2000! I mean what are you thinking? Your ebay fees are probably higher than what the card is worth? I think some of these guys try to do stuff like that to trick people who are new to collecting and don't know a whole lot about cards. I just laugh at them and say "keep on wasting your money and time. No one is going to buy that card."

lol i just saw a similar one on a base topps kobe card with a buy it now of $200 and starting bid of like $50. Does kind of anger you though.

Ok on topic. I do agree with you Brian, I dont think these cards will be getting the same value in the future. I have a hard time believing sellers have an easy time getting rid of their vintage cards now. Anytime I go to flea markets, antique malls, card shops....I see all the same vintage cards everytime I go. It takes a very special collector to pay good money for these cards. I do think the cards of our generation will do the same (outside of the Jordan, Kobes, Lebron...). It will be interesting to see the difference due to the number or products put out each year as compared to 20-50 years ago. To me it seems that would dilute the interest even more.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

I think this whole 90's insert thing is just the thing right now. When I first started collecting it was in the 90's getting boxes of metal universe. I completed sets of them. They really weren't worth a whole lot but now a Jordan insert numbered to 100 is worth thousands of dollars???? Are you kidding me, thats not rare. Should I be scooping up all sorts of inserts right now for pennies on the dollar thinking their going to sell for hundreds of dollars in 10 years? This is absolute madness to me and I think the people buying these up right now are going to lose out big time in the future.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/