`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading companies....

Grading companies....
So I'm fairly amateur when it comes to card grades/grading companies, but what are the more reputable companies? I'm currently looking at a few graded cards on the Bay, but don't want to spend the money unless the cards are graded by a decent company. So what are the ones I should gravitate towards and the ones I should stay away from? Thanks guys
[Image: Pirates_AlavarezMcCutchen.jpg]

RE: Grading companies....
(08-29-2011, 11:30 PM)seelye24 Wrote: So I'm fairly amateur when it comes to card grades/grading companies, but what are the more reputable companies? I'm currently looking at a few graded cards on the Bay, but don't want to spend the money unless the cards are graded by a decent company. So what are the ones I should gravitate towards and the ones I should stay away from? Thanks guys
The 2 biggest names in grading are BGS and PSA. I like BGS for anything mid- 80s and newer and PSA for more vintage stuff. I would recommend those 2 because they have the best resell value.
[Image: MJCollage_zps3209fd89.jpg]

(08-29-2011, 11:33 PM)htowntigger Wrote: The 2 biggest names in grading are BGS and PSA. I like BGS for anything mid- 80s and newer and PSA for more vintage stuff. I would recommend those 2 because they have the best resell value.
Thanks for the info--would you recommend against buying a PSA graded card that is newer? One of the cards I'm strongly looking at is a PSA graded card from the mid 2000s
[Image: Pirates_AlavarezMcCutchen.jpg]

Stick with BGS, PSA, and SGC. I wouldn't even bother with BCCG.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

(08-29-2011, 11:35 PM)seelye24 Wrote: Thanks for the info--would you recommend against buying a PSA graded card that is newer? One of the cards I'm strongly looking at is a PSA graded card from the mid 2000s
I like when psa grades newer cards, no reason to not buy.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

If you go with SGC, PSA, or BGS/BVG, you will be fine. These are the reputable ones. All the others are fly by night companies and highly untrustworthy.

I'm a complete rookie at this. How do you go about getting your cards graded? Would I need to send them the cards? Sorry, I have collected since I was a kid, but have not gone much past that, and am curious so see what it is all worth. Thanks for any feedback.

If you go to the beckett, or psa websites they have links that explain the whole process. I would suggust calling to their customer service, then trying to print or submit the cards online; you'll get a grade deal with talking to the customer service rep, espcially for first time submissions.

(08-30-2011, 12:25 PM)fishtaco02 Wrote: If you go to the beckett, or psa websites they have links that explain the whole process. I would suggust calling to their customer service, then trying to print or submit the cards online; you'll get a grade deal with talking to the customer service rep, espcially for first time submissions.
Thank you very much for the info. I'll give them a call.

It looks like PSA is a little cheaper for non auto cards. Prices look about the same for certified autos!