`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what has happened to the hobby?

RE: what has happened to the hobby?
like the inputs... don't think that the basketball forum is slow because of people not liking beckett.com... I think most collectors can not afford to collect as much as they used to because of high cost of wax or singles, in some cases..

the hobby has changed so much, it is hard to stay in it for the same reasons most of us started collecting. Older collectors used to collect sets & inserts, along with PC players.. but it is very difficult to put sets together for today's collectors.. it is extremely hard to get RC sets together.. because they are autographed.

It gets boring looking at the same site day after day... I enjoy reading all the threads, but have not found too many collectors willing to trade or do not see anything other collector's card inventory.. this is the main reason I have not traded.. I do not see anything I like or trade would not be fair in my opinion. I get a lot of trade offers for cards that I have, but they get cancelled, because I did not reply to them fast enough.. traders have to be patient. trades for the most part are not done overnight. they take time.. Us cardboard addicts are not online every minute of the day.. sometimes we are only online 1-3 times a week..
[Image: GOLAKERS.jpg]
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(08-31-2011, 08:26 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: like the inputs... don't think that the basketball forum is slow because of people not liking beckett.com... I think most collectors can not afford to collect as much as they used to because of high cost of wax or singles, in some cases..

the hobby has changed so much, it is hard to stay in it for the same reasons most of us started collecting. Older collectors used to collect sets & inserts, along with PC players.. but it is very difficult to put sets together for today's collectors.. it is extremely hard to get RC sets together.. because they are autographed.

It gets boring looking at the same site day after day... I enjoy reading all the threads, but have not found too many collectors willing to trade or do not see anything other collector's card inventory.. this is the main reason I have not traded.. I do not see anything I like or trade would not be fair in my opinion. I get a lot of trade offers for cards that I have, but they get cancelled, because I did not reply to them fast enough.. traders have to be patient. trades for the most part are not done overnight. they take time.. Us cardboard addicts are not online every minute of the day.. sometimes we are only online 1-3 times a week..

Dude, I totally understand.

***All those new traders that are for some reason shy, maybe because they read a few post blasting another member, need to realize that communication is key. Don't be shy the other members can't reach through the computer and hit you or bite you, even if you have an issue on your end or if you have even changed your mind about an offer.

If you do happen to run into a rude trader just add them to your ignore list. My list grows all the time.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

I am very poor.
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

I love threads like these. I will say I don't collect basketball anymore and haven't since Jordan retired from the Bulls the 2nd time. Basketball was my second favorite sport to collect for a long time. The economy, the price of boxes, the large number of releases, and the fact that NBA basketball IMO turned into a dunkfest and 3 pt contest which is unappealing to alot of people including me, has been killing the NBA not just the hobby. Look at the money that league is losing. I live just outside Philly and the Sixers could leave the city and I really believe 90% of the city wouldn't care. The NBA is now a product that seems to be way more popular overseas than here. If the lockout goes the entire season I believe the NBA will pretty much kill itself and the basketball card hobby for good.

Wasn't it an old Roman saying, " When there is blood on the streets, buy real estate." ?

I think that applies to collecting NBA cards. I am in Oklahoma and NBA basketball has never been so popular. I bet that the fans in Seattle wish that the Sixers moved their way.

I think that the NBA has had it's ups and downs just as any other pro sport does. The NBA will come back from this even if there is no 2011-12 season. It will just be a dark time to collect basketball while the lockout drags on.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

Seattle can have the Sixers. They were trying to give away tickets on the radio last year and they offered them to a caller and his exact quote was " Sixers Tickets? What did I ever do to you?" I laughed til I cried

(08-31-2011, 08:26 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: like the inputs... don't think that the basketball forum is slow because of people not liking beckett.com... I think most collectors can not afford to collect as much as they used to because of high cost of wax or singles, in some cases..

[Image: GOLAKERS.jpg]
Totally agree with you my friend. People on the site are just not patient enough. I am not going to make a big trade without thinking about it. I have had problems before when I do this. I must first compare sell values on ebay, check bv, and then think about it until I am completely convinced. I lost one of my best jordans on a trade I made without thinking much (I got the Bird in my signature and some other nice cards but still think I made the wrong decision).

I also think that cards are just way overproduced. I am trying to collect jordan memorabilia and I have gathered a few, but they are just too many out there. I do not think they will go up in value if upper deck just keeps flooding the market with them. so why keep collecting????
Will only trade with Delivery Confirmation!
[Image: BannerCards041.jpg]

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh238...l%20Cards/

It's an incredibly expensive hobby, and I'm pretty well off compared to a lot of people.

The fact of the matter is that basketball stuff does NOT sell very well, and eBay has kind of killed the trading scene (it's much easier to sell a card and then buy something you actually want, than try to trade with a bunch of people who all base it off eBay value anyway). Just as a general rule, a pack of low end cards goes for around $5-10, and an auto or GU of an average player (which is a box hit!) may go for less than that on eBay! Nowadays hitting a Jordan auto doesn't even guarantee you'll make your money back!

As for the rest? It's rare to have an auto of a player sell for over $200 nowadays, even for products where packs go for that much or more.

What we've basically come to is that the current hobby is overloading the market with GU/Auto/serial# to the point that nobody really cares about them anymore. It's not too far off from the 90's where we had a million inserts that people could hardly keep track of, and lost nearly all their value (and ironically are being picked up more often now).

tradebark makes some good points. I haven't been on as much lately because I just started going back to school. I've been out of school for almost 15yrs, lol. It's taken some time for me to adjust back to this. Anyway, collecting is suppose to be fun. I collect for the thrill of pulling my favorite players. I like busting old stuff because I can get a Jordan, LeBron or Kobe auto. I also think that the 90's inserts had the best designs. Wax today does cost to much, but... it comes with the territory. LCS are becoming dinosars (which I wish they could stay around forever). People are selling online now. I'm old school, but I do realize that if I want something nowadays I have to move with the trends.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

I was here before the site did the big change and posting, trading and selling is drastically down...DRASTICALLY. Back then it was hard to keep a post on the first page for more then a half an hour, now it sits there for days and days. There don't seem to be a lot of active members thus the same few people trading the same stuff over and over. I have not traded on here since I starting posting here again. I left for a few years and just recently started coming back here. Its sad to see how slow it is compared to before. I will continue to come on here hopefully the activity increases.

The hobby has gotten to expensive. I use to collect basketball, baseball and hockey. Basically I am trying to rebuild my childhood collection of 70's-80's OPC hockey and a few old expos cards, reliving my childhood memories through cards. I love basketball and Jordan. Box prices have gotten out of hand especially with the return you get back from its contents. The market is flooded with GU and auto's and I think a lot of people just quit because of economics and the mini recession happening.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.