`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: The official hurricane survivors thread

RE: OT: The official hurricane survivors thread
(08-26-2011, 10:28 PM)giantfan270 Wrote: Now nothing will happen..................
you woulda been fine if you hadn't said that

Well it looks like i am the closest so far i am about 45 mins from VA Beach we are supose to get pounded pretty hard we are as perpared as we can be so everyone be safe and if i not on for a few days it because i am out of power my thoughts and prays go out to everyone be safe all.
I collect Ladainian Tomlinson for my 2 year old son Braxton. I am working on NBA 50 Greatest Auto PC. I am also a Taylor Swift Super Collector

[Image: LT-1.gif]

http://s994.photobucket.com/home/wjlee1978/index

I have a feeling we will be getting some hurricane action in Houston this year also. Board 'em up East Coast!

i live on staten island.....it is part of NY....half hour from manhattan by car.....surrounded by water and i work for the city.....might have to fill sandbags sunday in the storm....WOO HOO
[Image: cyber-1.png]
Bucket
Collecting CURRENT Raiders....Carr, Mack, Bo, brown ++

(08-27-2011, 01:14 AM)cybertrenz02 Wrote: i live on staten island.....it is part of NY....half hour from manhattan by car.....surrounded by water and i work for the city.....might have to fill sandbags sunday in the storm....WOO HOO
sent you some mail today, hope it doesn't float away.....

2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

I live in central NC, west of Raleigh. I have lots of family along the soundside and have been to almost every part of the NC coastline in my 33 years. I have seen and lived through many hurricanes on the NC coast AND here in central NC. It is a pretty common thing to be prepared for these things in NC (Floridians know it even more). I hope everyone is trying to be safe and secure. There are soooo many things I want to comment on from this thread.

I will start with 'nthnoak's comment. Yes, you are used to what is considered a serious threat in the northeast when it comes to winter weather. I am used to what is going on now with Irene, BUT New York is not used to such extreme snowfall OR hurricanes. I am afraid that what NY experiences will make NC's woes seem less damaging in comparison, just b/c we are supposed to be used to it.

'ironman71635'--I really hope your son will be okay. I am quite familiar with Cherry Pt. At least the OBX helps protect it some. With Cherry Pt. being so close to the Dare Co. Bombing Range, it will definitely receive some military help quickly, if it is needed!

'Duchovny2'--I know a LOT about Katrina too. A few months after the hurricane, I went to Gulfport/Biloxi, MS to help rebuild. That was the most devastating hurricane damage I have EVER seen!!! Many blocks of property were just GONE! I have never seen anything like that (still). I have been through and seen damage from many major hurricanes (Hugo, Bertha, Fran, Dennis/Floyd, Isabel and several lesser known hurricanes), BUT Katrina was the worst by far!!! I was happy to help the folks in MS that I was able to do something for. I couldn't even get into NOLA at the time I was there!

'wjlee1978'--Where are you exactly? My sister lives in Norfolk and if she wasn't on maternity leave (baby born last Friday), she would be working b/c she is a Navy meteorologist! She and her husband and baby left for Richmond Thursday. I hope you will make it through safely!

'Joe C'--Houston actually NEEDS a hurricane/tropical storm. The water is so depleted there. A tropical storm would actually benefit TX!

If anyone wants to watch/track the hurricane thru webcams, here are some links (I have been watching storms come in with some of these cams for a decade):

http://www.obxcams.com/

This is my favorite webcam site now. They have added most of my favs into their collection of Outer Banks Webcam links. Some do not work now (ie:Hotels and some Marinas). Check out Ocracoke and Billy Mitchell Airport cams. They are two of they best! The fishing pier links are also great.

Here is another real good link:
http://www.obxconnection.com/Outer-Banks-Webcams.htm

I really hope everyone in the path of Irene stays safe and comes away with some nice life-stories. Stay safe and be careful everyone!!!
I meant to add that 'Oregon Inlet Fishing Center' has great webcam views too!

(08-26-2011, 10:28 PM)giantfan270 Wrote: In NY. The NYC media always exaggerates everything but I went out and bought a bunch of water, an extra propane tank, batteries and stuff like that just in case we lose power. I went around the yard and put all the lawn furniture away like I would normally do after labor day. Yard is bare. Now nothing will happen..................
get a car charger for your cell if the power does go out if you dont already have one, they are must haves. been through a few hurricanes down here in texas and they are not fun. Last one electric was out almost 3 weeks.
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

(08-27-2011, 01:57 AM)CowboysFanatic Wrote: get a car charger for your cell if the power does go out if you dont already have one, they are must haves. been through a few hurricanes down here in texas and they are not fun. Last one electric was out almost 3 weeks.
Wow 3 weeks! I'm worried about a couple of days. I do have a car charger and I have a 12 volt converter that I can plug one end into the car cig lighter and an extension cord into the other end. Then I can use the car as a generator for small electronics in the house. Will power like 1 tv and a couple lights, but not the fridge.

2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

(08-27-2011, 02:07 AM)giantfan270 Wrote: Wow 3 weeks! I'm worried about a couple of days. I do have a car charger and I have a 12 volt converter that I can plug one end into the car cig lighter and an extension cord into the other end. Then I can use the car as a generator for small electronics in the house. Will power like 1 tv and a couple lights, but not the fridge.
That still works for charging up your cell and getting tv/radio updates. You WILL have to keep your car running to run 12 volt converters though. Otherwise, it will drain your battery and eventually your alternator. It is a cheap version of having an electrical generator but could cost more if you overuse it. You must have enough fuel in your gas tank and make sure to only use the converter while the engine is running! I wouldn't worry about 3 wks. That won't happen here. You need to prepare for 3 days of staying put. If you move from your spot, head west but ONLY if you have a full tank of gas OR can make it to your destination without using more than 3/4's of a tank.

(08-27-2011, 01:24 AM)giantfan270 Wrote: sent you some mail today, hope it doesn't float away.....
Thanks...lol....it has to arrive first.....had things that were supose to come never show and can't do nothing about it.....gotta catch em red handed....
[Image: cyber-1.png]
Bucket
Collecting CURRENT Raiders....Carr, Mack, Bo, brown ++