`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question On Getting Your Vintage Graded

Question On Getting Your Vintage Graded
I am thinking about getting my small Vintage Collection graded this coming holiday season as a Christmas gift. I've never been one into graded cards but is it worth it to get them graded? Or is it just good for authentication? Should I only get certain ones graded? I'm not very educated on Vintage graded cards. Advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

Here are some I would think about getting graded:

1956 Jackie Robinson

1961 Roberto Clemente

1965 Mickey Mantle

56', 60', 61', 63', 64', 65', 67', 68', 69' Willie Mays

65', 69', 71' Pete Rose

70', 71', 72', 74' Nolan Ryan

[Image: Untitled_zpsec8eef53.jpg]

I be collecting BGS Jeter RC's & Tom Seaver (Mets Uniform) Autos/Patches

My PC Bucket.

http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/mjkata78/

RE: Question On Getting Your Vintage Graded
If these are for your personal enjoyment, I would advise you to use towards SGC. I swear by them and they're well known for specializing in vintage cards.

However, if you may want to re-sell them one day, then your best bet is PSA. PSA dominates the period from after World War II, but you'd have to pay for membership in their collector club to submit.

Personally I've had all my vintage graded. They look great in the slabs. They're the perfect cases for them in my opinion.

I think you'll be very happy once you've got them slabbed.

(08-25-2011, 11:45 PM)bigguy219 Wrote: If these are for your personal enjoyment, I would advise you to use towards SGC. I swear by them and they're well known for specializing in vintage cards.

However, if you may want to re-sell them one day, then your best bet is PSA. PSA dominates the period from after World War II, but you'd have to pay for membership in their collector club to submit.

Personally I've had all my vintage graded. They look great in the slabs. They're the perfect cases for them in my opinion.

I think you'll be very happy once you've got them slabbed.
These cards are for my personal enjoyment. I'm not looking to sell them but does PSA bring a better overall value to the cards since it is more popular. Does an SGC in NM have less appeal than a PSA 7?

My PC Bucket.

(08-25-2011, 11:53 PM)kata78 Wrote: These cards are for my personal enjoyment. I'm not looking to sell them but does PSA bring a better overall value to the cards since it is more popular. Does an SGC in NM have less appeal than a PSA 7?
If you do use PSA, just know that the cards move around in their slab. That's all I'm going to say.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(08-26-2011, 07:02 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: If you do use PSA, just know that the cards move around in their slab. That's all I'm going to say.
Did not know that. Is that a common thing with PSA? If so then i will research BVG and SGC.

My PC Bucket.

(08-25-2011, 11:53 PM)kata78 Wrote: These cards are for my personal enjoyment. I'm not looking to sell them but does PSA bring a better overall value to the cards since it is more popular. Does an SGC in NM have less appeal than a PSA 7?
For a 1950s card PSA cards tend to sell better than SGC and BVG cards.

(08-26-2011, 08:58 AM)bigguy219 Wrote: For a 1950s card PSA cards tend to sell better than SGC and BVG cards.
I would agree. When I get my cards graded it's just to preserve them though so I always do BGS/BVG. Their slabs are just the best in my opinion. Sometimes I don't even care what grade they get.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

(08-26-2011, 09:12 AM)benner73 Wrote: I would agree. When I get my cards graded it's just to preserve them though so I always do BGS/BVG. Their slabs are just the best in my opinion. Sometimes I don't even care what grade they get.
Yeah im thinking mostly 6's, maybe a 7 if im lucky.

My PC Bucket.

SGC to me has the best eye appeal and they are the most cost effective (great customer service too). PSA sells better on the market but like the above poster said, the cards can move around in the holder. I like BGS/BVG slabs but I don't like the conflict of interest created when a company that sets prices also grades cards.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

I only send in to grade if i think it will get a 4 or higher. Thats just me though. Also I send in mostly major stars: Mantle, Mays, and the like. Go with PSA - you dont have to buy a membership for grading. I thought you did - but the membership just gets you a subscription to their graded card price guide and access to the POP reports. I just print out forms from the website and send.
Collecting: Bryce Harper, Cal Ripken Jr, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Ted Williams.