`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading question

Grading question
I know I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to graded cards (I only have one myself), that being said, what is the difference between a BCCG graded card and a BGS graded card? They're both Beckett correct? I ask because I've been looking up graded rookie cards on eBay and was just unsure of the difference.
[Image: Untitled-1-1.jpg]

RE: Grading question
HUUUGE difference my friend.
I don't have very much interest in graded cards myself.
I knowww it keeps them safe and all.....but almost every card you send in grades in the condition listed for Beckett prices....so why should that make the card THAT much more valuable?
Sorry for the rant..back to the point.

BCCG cards are kinda a way for Beckett to get some business on the low-end.
I know they are no where near as strict on grading and no where near as valuable as a BGS card.

If you are going to dip into the graded card market I would suggest investing in NOTHING but BGS graded cards.

A lot of dealers or sellers will submit to BCCG because a BGS 7.5 would grade a 10 or 9 if you submit to BCCG and try to trick people who don't know the difference. BCCG is pretty much useless IMO because it isn't strict at all...

BGS/BVG/PSA/SCG are the only graded cards to trust but imo, BGS/BVG are the best.
-Collecting rookie, game-used, and autographed cards of Hall of Famers and future Hall of Famers in baseball, basketball, and football.
-Collecting autographs/cut autos and memorabilia of historic figures.

I have to correct you Marino... SGC and PSA are also well-respected grading companies. Also, respectable card grades depend on what condition the card actually IS, not what Beckett lists in their condition guide per era. If that were the case, you would never see a card graded a 9.5 or 10 as these are above mint condition. You would also probably not see cards graded at 1 or 2 or 3.

As for the OP's question--BCCG are bulk-rate grading submissions. (ie. A card shop or mass-breaker sends in 1000 cards at a time and all get QUICKLY graded and slabbed). They are not graded as strictly as BGS/BVG, SGC, or PSA. I have a few BCCG cards, but ONLY b/c they were sent as part of a trade. The other traders never bothered to say they were graded until the trade was accepted or right before it was accepted. That is how bad people want to get rid of BCCG cards. They would rather act as if it is a raw card than a graded by BCCG card.
Every BCCG I have EVER seen was graded a 10 (Mint or Better)! What does that tell you?

Ok! I had a suspicion, because I saw that the BCCG cards were going for a lot less than the BGS cards but I had no idea what the difference was.

(08-24-2011, 01:50 AM)TheEvilEmpire Wrote: A lot of dealers or sellers will submit to BCCG because a BGS 7.5 would grade a 10 or 9 if you submit to BCCG and try to trick people who don't know the difference. BCCG is pretty much useless IMO because it isn't strict at all...

BGS/BVG/PSA/SCG are the only graded cards to trust but imo, BGS/BVG are the best.
You beat me to it but said the same thing. I guess I should be less long-winded sometimes. Big Grin

I appreciate all the help! I was looking up a Ken Griffey Jr graded rookie card and I saw all these BCCG graded 10 cards and they were cheap. Good thing I didn't impulse buy anything.

I'd be afraid of the newer ones as well, especially ones that are Chrome...You could send them into BCCG and get a 10, then send it to BGS and the Surface come back a 6.5 or 7 due to the chrome being all scratched up, etc.

Also, the cards today will be considered "vintage" later on so why not get them graded, especially if they are in your PC...

You can also send them in to get graded and if they don't meet a certain grade, you can have them send it back unslabbed.

(08-24-2011, 02:12 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: A newer card graded by BCCG may not be bad if you can see the card real good in the listing, but I wouldn't trust anything that is older than the Graded card industry is! Anyone sending cards to BCCG from the 80's and 90's was just trying to get a good grade to impress the less-informed. There's no way it would grade that high if sent to one of the 3 main companies.

In case you don't know, JSA is linked to BGS. If you send an AU'd card to BGS and want the AU authenticated, it goes to JSA first.

I also prefer raw cards to graded ones. I don't see the point in spending money to get the card graded that will cause the card to be worth less than if was in raw condition. It's nice to have it sealed up for protection, but I can do that on my own w/out mailing it off, paying more for the case, and paying for it to be sent back to me. I only see the point in grading cards when it comes to vintage cards.
-Collecting rookie, game-used, and autographed cards of Hall of Famers and future Hall of Famers in baseball, basketball, and football.
-Collecting autographs/cut autos and memorabilia of historic figures.

I do ton of grading group submissions only grade rookie auto highend/low print run stuff worth money I have minium of 9 to encase on all my cards anything below 9 doesnt increase value of card that I submiting. Grading isnt that expensive if get in one of those group submissions usally can get in on special pay anywere from $5-$10 tops per card no auto fee 10,20,45 day turnaround all depedns on monthly special or what kind deal host can get from beckett rep. Also graded best way to protect cards secure holders.

I am still learning here, but back in the day anything graded with a top grade was considered worth more then the raw card, of course if graded by a reputable company. Has this concept changed for some reason?

I would certainly like to know because once i start buying boxes and i run across anything good numbered to 15 or less i fully intended to get that card in a holder and sent off for grading right away, PC guy or not.
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.