`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More people getting into vintage?

More people getting into vintage?
Is it me or are more people switching gears and jumping into the vintage pool? I've been reading on the boards here and other boards about how more and more people are now just focusing on vintage. I made the switch a year ago.

I was wondering if you have seen the same thing or can speculate the reasons why.

Thanks! Andy
PC: Cardinal Parallels/Rainbows of Pujols, Chris Carpenter, Molina, Lankford, Gibson, Musial, and Cardinal Prospects

RE: More people getting into vintage?
I'm 29 years old and remember collecting almost strictly vintage as a kid. I Had Thousands of dollars worth of 50's, 60's early 70's and 30's Goudey's commons as well. I bring this up because I also remember how dominant vintage cards were until the early to mid 90's when the combination of the strike and SPX and Game used/auto's kinda took over, but to answer your question I would say that there is a begging of an up-tick and I my thoughts are that It might something to do with two things; 1. The players from back then were CLEAN, unlike so many players from 1990-2005 or so, 2. These vintage cards provide a connection to many an older collector's childhood (seeing as most individuals who collect nowadays are atleast twenty or older and average in the 30's)

I too collected a lot of vintage growing up. I guess it started when a neighbor gave me a lunch sack filled with late 60's, early 70's stuff.

As for the switch to vintage lately, I've noticed it big time. There were very few gimmicks like with today's cards. You can pick up a nice vintage star card for the same price as a pack of today's cards in which you might not get anything (that includes GU, sticker autos, diamonds, redemptions, etc). Topps has went quickly downhill and lacks any imagination or creativity. People can keep on throwing their money at them looking for a "hit". I'll just throw my money at a sure thing.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

At least for me, the prospect hype machine turned me off. When a Harper or Strasburg card is worth more than a Musial or Mays then something is not right.
PC: Cardinal Parallels/Rainbows of Pujols, Chris Carpenter, Molina, Lankford, Gibson, Musial, and Cardinal Prospects

Most of my spending go to vintage cards. I do pick bowman products, but I have been doing those sets since 2001. I don't focus on any prospect. The hype is to big and most of them never fulfill the expectations. I guess that is a reason why the are more people switching.
Now, I work on doing 60s and early 70s sets, which were the cards I always wanted when I started collecting 20 years ago and I have found more people to trade for vintage in the site.

Lol, they were not Vintage when I started collecting. Vintage cards ARE Baseball.

To put this into a little better perspective, Griffey has become acceptable to me but I only get his cards to resell or trade.

I do still enjoy Newer cards with Vintage players though.
I have been gone a long time, my ideas on collecting have changed as I have aged. Will only be here Off and On because things are different. Not going to do much Trading but will offer some items For Sale. As Always, Have FUN !...Mel
Wink 
(08-20-2011, 06:15 PM)radarblip Wrote: Lol, they were not Vintage when I started collecting. Vintage cards ARE Baseball.

To put this into a little better perspective, Griffey has become acceptable to me but I only get his cards to resell or trade.

I do still enjoy Newer cards with Vintage players though.
Mel you been around since the T-206s were new. Smile
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(08-20-2011, 04:29 PM)hendu29 Wrote: At least for me, the prospect hype machine turned me off. When a Harper or Strasburg card is worth more than a Musial or Mays then something is not right.
I'll second that!
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

i switched to vintage for a couple of reasons....all have been mentioned already....1st i got tired of buying a box of cards for $100 or more and get 4 crappy jersey cards of no-names or semi-names....plus for pc collectors its easier to go after 1 or 2 cards rather than my scott rolen pc where there are 40 different base variations per year....not to mention the 20 different jersey cards and autos per year
I collect Scott Rolen / St. Louis Cardinals / 1985 topps / 1984 topps / yadier molina

My line of thinking from an investment standpoint.....

Vintage is like a blue chip stock....it holds it value through time....especially if it is graded.

My line of thinking from a collector standpoint.......

Vintage is very straight forward (very few parrallels, serial numbers, etc...you know how rare the card is), the cards have greater character, and lastly I almost look at them as a history lesson if you study them a bit. Set building is not as easy to accomplish as you actually have to do some searching but it is more fun.
www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info