`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumb question about grading (Cards back! Very Happy)

Dumb question about grading (Cards back! Very Happy)
Hey guys. I want to send a bunch of vintage cards to be graded. I have never done this before. My question is: how do you send them? Specifically, how do you package them? What box works best? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
PC: Cardinal Parallels/Rainbows of Pujols, Chris Carpenter, Molina, Lankford, Gibson, Musial, and Cardinal Prospects

RE: Dumb question about grading
(08-15-2011, 06:23 PM)hendu29 Wrote: Hey guys. I want to send a bunch of vintage cards to be graded. I have never done this before. My question is: how do you send them? Specifically, how do you package them? What box works best? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
How many are you sending? I've always been able to get all of mine into a large bubble mailer. I package them as you would a trade and I also buy some insurance.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

No such thing as a dumb question!

I'm probably a little overboard, but not a whole lot I guess. I put each card in a penny sleeve and then into a Card Saver. I don't recall which one I have (Card Saver 1 or 2) but I have a boatload if you need some I can just shoot them over but they are not necessary.

Anyway, I then put them together, wrap the invoice around them, and put them into a bubble mailer. I put the bubble mailer into one of those small priority mail boxes with some cushioning around it, seal the box, and mail with insurance and tracking for my own peace of mind.

Anyway, that's how I go but as long as it's secure you're good to go. I think they give recommendations on how to pack/ship on the invoice or site that you're using. I think a key part, and Beatles Guy already hit on it, is to buy insurance.

Thanks guys. I'm going to send in five cards to be graded (am I allowed to say which one here on this board? It's not bgs). One grader has a special going on. I picked up a nice 82 Topps traded Ozzie smith that I think may grade high from my LCS. I'm going to have four other cards graded too to male the shipping costs worthwhile. Wish me luck ha. Andy
PC: Cardinal Parallels/Rainbows of Pujols, Chris Carpenter, Molina, Lankford, Gibson, Musial, and Cardinal Prospects

(08-16-2011, 07:07 AM)hendu29 Wrote: Thanks guys. I'm going to send in five cards to be graded (am I allowed to say which one here on this board? It's not bgs). One grader has a special going on. I picked up a nice 82 Topps traded Ozzie smith that I think may grade high from my LCS. I'm going to have four other cards graded too to male the shipping costs worthwhile. Wish me luck ha. Andy
Post some scans when you get them back! And yes, you can say which company you'll be using though I might already have a guess based on your signature.

Assuming that your signature is a clue, you've made an excellent choice and will not be disappointed.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.

Thanks! I like the look of the SGC slabs -- not to mention their specials. The cards are insured and in the mail. In addition to the 82 Smith, I have three of my Pujols RCs and a 2011 Bowman's Best Bryce Harper. The Pujols will stay in my PC and the Harper I may sell when he reaches the bigs. I just want to do a test run before I send in my vintage Cardinals PC. I have a 61 Topps Musial I think could get an 8 or 9 as well as about 50 other "higher grade" cards that I eventually will want to get graded.

Here is another question: Is it worth the money to send a card in that with receive a 4 or 5 grade? It would not be commons, but rather stars and HOF. I have a bunch of Gibsons and Boyers that fall in that range. They are PC and I think it would be nice to have them slabbed for protection and such. And if I am desperate maybe sell them.

What do you think?

(08-16-2011, 11:25 AM)hendu29 Wrote: Thanks! I like the look of the SGC slabs -- not to mention their specials. The cards are insured and in the mail. In addition to the 82 Smith, I have three of my Pujols RCs and a 2011 Bowman's Best Bryce Harper. The Pujols will stay in my PC and the Harper I may sell when he reaches the bigs. I just want to do a test run before I send in my vintage Cardinals PC. I have a 61 Topps Musial I think could get an 8 or 9 as well as about 50 other "higher grade" cards that I eventually will want to get graded.

Here is another question: Is it worth the money to send a card in that with receive a 4 or 5 grade? It would not be commons, but rather stars and HOF. I have a bunch of Gibsons and Boyers that fall in that range. They are PC and I think it would be nice to have them slabbed for protection and such. And if I am desperate maybe sell them.

What do you think?
I will slab a card just for protection and display. I've sent in cards that I knew were going to get a poor grade (Tobacco & Goudey cards) just so they could be protected. So to answer your question, if the card means that much to you, then yes send them in.

Example:
Photobucket

RE: Dumb question about grading (Cards back! Very Happy)
Got my first graded cards back. I'm very happy. I will post scans this weekend in my pick-up thread. Here is how I did:

1982 Topps Traded Ozzie Smith SGC 96 9 Mint
2001 Bowman Albert Pujols RC SGC 96 Mint
2001 Topps Gallery Albert Pujols RC SGC 98 10 Gem Smile
2001 Topps Traded Albert Pujols RC SGC 88 8 NM/MT -- knew this was going to grade this way. Two slightly nicked corners
2011 Bowman Best's Bryce Harper SGC 96 9 Mint

Just send in a batch of 16 more vintage. Plus, going to send more cards soon, too.

RE: Dumb question about grading (Cards back! Very Happy)
Great scores, in would love to see the Ozzie smith card.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]