`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The old days...

RE: The old days...
Glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way. If a card company new or old ever decided 'hey lets try a brand or 2 back from those days and see how its goes i bet they have great success.

(08-11-2011, 08:54 AM)rgf17 Wrote: yeah used to it was cool to get an insert (and some still are mind you) but now they just seem like decoys to make you feel like you were that close to getting something good. and i'll keep it short but something i miss is actually getting a rare card. now they have all the 1/1's and others numbered out of low numbers but do people not realize that card is still mass produced and just given a number because it has a different color on the front? you have sets with /999, /750, /500, /250, /100, /75, /50, /25, /10, /1 with the same picture just a different colored border. thats still almost 3000 of the same card essentially. whats rare about that? anyways, sorry. had to throw it out there.
3000 is pretty scarce. I think there's a little over 3000 Brick and Motar card stores left. That makes one of those cards per store. Are you the lucky customer who gets to buy it? If not, how close is the next store? What about the next?

The internet allows you to find your cards easier, but it does not make them less scarce in the real world. Say 95% of dealers sells their /3000 card to someone locally, that still leaves 150 to be listed online. Between eBay, Becket Marketplace, COMC, Sportsbuy, and the multiple trade sites, it would be appear the card is highly available, but in fact it is not. How long would 150 cards take to sell online for a Marino? An Emmitt? A Favre? They would sell very quickly, if the card collecting community changed their perception on scracity.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

Kinda funny this is brought up now because last night I went and added all the 1970s Texas Rangers cards to my ORG. There are maybe 400 total. Nowadays, you can that many in one particular brand, set.

I'm going to go through and take out the ones I have and try to get 1 of every Rangers card produced over the years (they've only been around since 1972, so I won't have to worry about the harder to find 50s and 60s stuff).

I want Pacific Trading Cards to come back...some of the best designs ever and I loved the numbered cards!
Bucket:
http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa47...radeables/

Resident Seahawk collector. Building 2010 Topps Chrome sets and 2010 Topps Magic.

I absolutely LOVE the old school days of collecting (see my thread: Post ur favorite non gu/au, thread).

I love old school inserts/parallels of the 1990's! It was so much fun to trade back then. When I was a kid, a few of us from the neighborhood used to get together and trade every friday night at one of our houses. We cud care less about BV. We jus wanted to trade for cards of our favorite players or trade for cards that we jus thought were cool. I remember, I was big stuff in 1996, because I was the first one of our group to have a gameused card. I pulled an Irving Fryar gameball from a collectors edge product and everyone was SOOO jealous, lol.

Man, those were the days. It seems like every card, whether it was base, insert, parallel or whatever; it was cool looking. They all had cool & unique designes. And there were such a pleather of card companies too... Remember Collectors Edge, Collectors Choice, Pro Line, Select, Select Certified, Stadium Club, Pinnacle and my ALL-TIME favorite, Action Packed!
[Image: banner.jpg]
Collecting everything BRETT FAVRE
Packers HOF Autos
**LF/WTB: Packers '97, '98 & '99 Precious Metal Gems & Flair Legacy Collection Parallels!!**

(08-11-2011, 07:07 PM)lambeau legend4 Wrote: I absolutely LOVE the old school days of collecting (see my thread: Post ur favorite non gu/au, thread).

I love old school inserts/parallels of the 1990's! It was so much fun to trade back then. When I was a kid, a few of us from the neighborhood used to get together and trade every friday night at one of our houses. We cud care less about BV. We jus wanted to trade for cards of our favorite players or trade for cards that we jus thought were cool. I remember, I was big stuff in 1996, because I was the first one of our group to have a gameused card. I pulled an Irving Fryar gameball from a collectors edge product and everyone was SOOO jealous, lol.

Man, those were the days. It seems like every card, whether it was base, insert, parallel or whatever; it was cool looking. They all had cool & unique designes. And there were such a pleather of card companies too... Remember Collectors Edge, Collectors Choice, Pro Line, Select, Select Certified, Stadium Club, Pinnacle and my ALL-TIME favorite, Action Packed!
Action packed was awesome!! Those all were great brands. I liked the variety we used to have with all of those brands and companies. Having 2 companies with a NFL license isnt the same. All of those products had unique inserts, common designs, and hard to find autos and game used. Dont forget about Laserview!! I loved that brand. The plastic card on card autos looked great. I still own 3 that i got. Kerry Collins, Elvis Grbac and the famous Jeff george.

(08-12-2011, 09:22 AM)giantsfan Wrote: Action packed was awesome!! Those all were great brands. I liked the variety we used to have with all of those brands and companies. Having 2 companies with a NFL license isnt the same. All of those products had unique inserts, common designs, and hard to find autos and game used. Dont forget about Laserview!! I loved that brand. The plastic card on card autos looked great. I still own 3 that i got. Kerry Collins, Elvis Grbac and the famous Jeff george.
Yeah, laserview was definetly cool. Every card was a hologram! How cool is that?!! Also, I really liked Topps Laser. Every base card was a die cut!..... Can u say AWESOME!!

Having only 3 card companies to choose from is really boring. Topps will always be a mediocre brand to me. Panini & UD have "some" cool stuff but, im not really impressed with panini or UD. Ultimate Collection & Exquisite are really cool but haveing EVERYTHING being a college card doesnt really appeal to me. Having a player pictured in his college uni with a swatch of his pro jersey is kinda dumb... well, to me it is. On the other hand, panini making some cool stuff, but I dont want a card with a sweet design that pictures a player in his under armor gear! Now thats really dumb!!

If it wasnt for other traders wanting some of the new stuff, I probly wudnt buy any of it at all. I love the stuff from the old days. I wud gladly trade a high end card of a top star or rookie for something from the "old school" days that I want. Jus my opinion.
[Image: banner.jpg]
Collecting everything BRETT FAVRE
Packers HOF Autos
**LF/WTB: Packers '97, '98 & '99 Precious Metal Gems & Flair Legacy Collection Parallels!!**

(08-11-2011, 03:58 PM)Marinocollector Wrote: 3000 is pretty scarce. I think there's a little over 3000 Brick and Motar card stores left. That makes one of those cards per store. Are you the lucky customer who gets to buy it? If not, how close is the next store? What about the next?

The internet allows you to find your cards easier, but it does not make them less scarce in the real world. Say 95% of dealers sells their /3000 card to someone locally, that still leaves 150 to be listed online. Between eBay, Becket Marketplace, COMC, Sportsbuy, and the multiple trade sites, it would be appear the card is highly available, but in fact it is not. How long would 150 cards take to sell online for a Marino? An Emmitt? A Favre? They would sell very quickly, if the card collecting community changed their perception on scracity.
i totally understand the logic behind this, but seriously? would it be so tough to change the card to an actual insert rather than just change the color of the front of the card or border?? yes i know it would cost them more to produce but we would still buy either way. we have from day one and always will as collectors and even pass it down to our kids (i already do with my one year old). rainbows are cool yes, i'll give them that, but stat cards, die cuts, retros, etc. are just as nice in my opinion.
PC Collections Josh Morgan, Tim Tebow, Brock Marion and Derek Anderson

Those were the days when I could collect all four sports (and I don't need to hear there are 6,7,8,9 and poker is not a sport).
[Image: Dallas-1.jpg]

(08-12-2011, 12:36 PM)rburkett Wrote: Those were the days when I could collect all four sports (and I don't need to hear there are 6,7,8,9 and poker is not a sport).
+1
PC Collections Josh Morgan, Tim Tebow, Brock Marion and Derek Anderson