`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first lcs in 20 years

RE: first lcs in 20 years
(08-06-2011, 08:44 PM)ceocards Wrote: I've never hit any of the shops in Des Moines...but my offer to show you around the Cedar Rapids shops if you ever get up this way is still open any time!
next time we go visit the gals family in waterloo I'll have to take you up on that if the offer is there!
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

(08-06-2011, 08:48 PM)eazy e Wrote: In my experience Card shop owners that look like " they will punch you in the throat" are the best kind! Sweet pickup!
LOL. after i actually asked him something and bought he was happy.

CEO: Missed my chance earlier this week to make it up that way. I'll get another and I'll certainly let you know when i do
no org, please do not send trade requests

(08-06-2011, 08:44 PM)ceocards Wrote: I've never hit any of the shops in Des Moines...but my offer to show you around the Cedar Rapids shops if you ever get up this way is still open any time!
Where are the shops in C.R. ?

(08-06-2011, 08:53 PM)patrickhef30 Wrote: Where are the shops in C.R. ?
One in each mall.

John- sure...I was just up in Waterloo today. No shops up there tho

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

At least you guys have a LCS. Fairly small town and the we had closed about 7 years ago. I am jealous, even if it means a punch in the throat. HAHA
If you have less than 25 trades. I ask that you ship first!
Collecting RC's / Prospects / USA / Aflac & Mike Stanton......
[Image: Scan1-1.jpg]

got 2 lcs guys in my area. One guy I used to go to frequently when I was younger cause he always marked down the stuff that was "out of season" which was basically the releases from the previous years. He also used to have a huge book of all the different super stars, mostly base and inserts, but usually he gave pretty good deals on them. Now he has changed and doesn't feel like the same store I used to go to when I was young.

I found the other guy a few years ago and didn't realize he'd been in business as long as he has, but his store is well organized and he is very friendly and we usually talk for about 20-30 minutes after I stock up on cards from him. He doesn't sell for full BV, usually discounts everything depending on what type of card of the player it is.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

To me a card shop should be a fun place to hang out. It should be inviting and have a place for you to sit and open your cards. If I were the owner I would create this atmosphere and not just sit behind a counter all day organizing my 2011 topps heritage base cards.

If I ever come into enough money I will open up a small hobby shop and totally create this atmosphere....It will be a haven for fellow collectors to come and watch a ballgame or spend an hour or two while the wives are shopping. Kids can come in with their friends and trade or buy packs to open. I would even have a small deli on one side so we can all make big Pastrami Reuben's and then open boxes and trade.

I certainly wouldn't ignore customers with money in hand nor would I make packs of cards $6 each to rip off fellow collectors. If there were more hobby shops like this around then I think collecting cards would pick up with kids and adults.
[Image: braunsig.png]

My LCS is actually a sports store that sells cards but 15 or so people are in the same boat of not having a real card shop that we've created a real shop feel. The same guys are always there, we come in on days new products come out & started a monthly trade night. Owner is awesome & it's a great place!

I do miss having a true card shop though. Had 2 in town when I as a kid. Had a good 7 years where one or the other was open. Much like ELevin99 said, I would LOVE to open my own shop & make it a place for collectors, get kids into the hobby & make it accessible(cheaper) for everyone. As the owner, I would enjoy it as much as the customers.
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

yeah I couldn't locate any sports card shops when I was in waterloo...we only ventured over to C.R. once while I was there but we had a quick agenda so didn't get to go look around anywhere
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

(08-07-2011, 02:46 PM)johnxgodfree Wrote: yeah I couldn't locate any sports card shops when I was in waterloo...we only ventured over to C.R. once while I was there but we had a quick agenda so didn't get to go look around anywhere
There used to be one in Cedar Falls, but it closed about 10 years ago.

The ones in Cedar Rapids are nothing special, but I'm usually able to find a few things...and it's nice to have someone local to buy boxes and supplies from.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.