`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pack Fresh!

Pack Fresh!
When you see someone selling a baseball card and they describe it as "pack fresh" does that scare you off or make you more suspicious about the condition of the card?

It kind of makes me think that the person sees a small issue, ala chipping or a tiny ding or something and is scared to mention it and covering their butt (when in many instances just mentioning such a thing may not be a horrible thing to do) , of course that may not be the case, but just curious how "pack fresh" may or may not affect your buying decision when that is used to describe the card.

RE: Pack Fresh!
I mostly likely wouldn't think much of it. I also feel like it hurts the seller more than it would benefit. By saying "pack fresh" they are basically coming right out and saying it's mint and best believe I expect a mint card if I buy it, and now I am more likely to look it over when it gets to me.

(08-05-2011, 08:12 PM)Datwell0724 Wrote: I mostly likely wouldn't think much of it. I also feel like it hurts the seller more than it would benefit. By saying "pack fresh" they are basically coming right out and saying it's mint and best believe I expect a mint card if I buy it, and now I am more likely to look it over when it gets to me.
I rarely get "mint" cards out of a pack. ha ha. That's another way of looking at it though.

I see the words pack fresh in a lot of ebay auctions and I assume it is a gimmick that the seller uses to try to bait bidders. All I wanna know is if the card is near mint or mint. If the condition isn't in the description and no photo is provided I just pass right by it.
[Image: 5990000932_c874f0ce46_m.jpg]

I put the term "pack fresh" in some of my auctions for example I bought a case of 2011 Topps Series One and put that in all my auctions involving the cards I did not keep. I also scan and put condition in my listings. I put "Pack Fresh" because I feel personally you want the assurance the card has not been traded and taken out of the sleeves and put into new sleeves over and over again. I did not know some people feel like it may be a way to trick or manipulate the truth about the card so I now may not put "Pack Fresh" in any of my listings. But I can see why there are alot of bad people on eBay trying to get rid of there junk and will say anything to get their stuff sold.

(08-05-2011, 08:02 PM)sesamestreet4life Wrote: When you see someone selling a baseball card and they describe it as "pack fresh" does that scare you off or make you more suspicious about the condition of the card?

It kind of makes me think that the person sees a small issue, ala chipping or a tiny ding or something and is scared to mention it and covering their butt (when in many instances just mentioning such a thing may not be a horrible thing to do) , of course that may not be the case, but just curious how "pack fresh" may or may not affect your buying decision when that is used to describe the card.

(08-06-2011, 11:40 PM)jhutson Wrote: I put the term "pack fresh" in some of my auctions for example I bought a case of 2011 Topps Series One and put that in all my auctions involving the cards I did not keep. I also scan and put condition in my listings. I put "Pack Fresh" because I feel personally you want the assurance the card has not been traded and taken out of the sleeves and put into new sleeves over and over again. I did not know some people feel like it may be a way to trick or manipulate the truth about the card so I now may not put "Pack Fresh" in any of my listings. But I can see why there are alot of bad people on eBay trying to get rid of there junk and will say anything to get their stuff sold.
I put something like "pack fresh" on a recent auction listing, but that was because they were 1979 cards that I had just opened a pack of (got from the Topps diamond giveaway - vintage pack), I thought that it would help people appreciate it more since most cards from 79 have been out of packs for 30 years.

I also understand what was said above about ensuring cards are not ones that have been handled and traded alot (even for 2011 cards).
CURRENT NEEDS:
*2011 Topps Black Diamond Wrapper Redemptions (wants marked in ORG)
*All Carl Edwards Cards I don't have (wants marked in ORG)
*Marcus Thornton, Kevin Johnson (NBA)
*"Air Coryell" San Diego Chargers
[Image: 6802037740_e2e39685ee.jpg]

If they are using "pack fresh" as a description for the card condition and there is no pic I automatically pass it up with no hesitation. Everybody knows the term Mint. It's just a red flag for me to move on to the next listing.

I have actually been told the cards are "pack fresh" in several trade offers when I ask about card conditions. I immediately cancel because in my eyes they aren't confident enough on the card(s) condition so they are avoiding saying mint, nm/mint etc. I interpret this as they have say a $25 (in mint) card with obvious flaws, but they still want $25 in trade for it. Negative feedback waiting to happen if you ask me.

Pack Fresh. That always cracks me up. Anybody remember 2007 Topps baseball, basketball, and football? I don't think there was 1 single base card produced in the entire run without a flaw of some sort. Same with many of those black bordered Bowman sets throughout the years. Good luck getting a nice pack fresh card there.

(08-06-2011, 11:40 PM)jhutson Wrote: I put the term "pack fresh" in some of my auctions for example I bought a case of 2011 Topps Series One and put that in all my auctions involving the cards I did not keep. I also scan and put condition in my listings. I put "Pack Fresh" because I feel personally you want the assurance the card has not been traded and taken out of the sleeves and put into new sleeves over and over again. I did not know some people feel like it may be a way to trick or manipulate the truth about the card so I now may not put "Pack Fresh" in any of my listings. But I can see why there are alot of bad people on eBay trying to get rid of there junk and will say anything to get their stuff sold.
I bet a lot of people on here have or do use the term as well, thus I made the topic to see what people thought of the term in general ( was browsing the bay and saw a lot of it in what I was looking at), in case it might help sellers and such and their auctions ect. Describing can be tricky...

I do like your thinking on using the term, makes me more likely to want the card if you assure that it went from a pack into a holder and nowhere else ect, but for some reason the term itself has me turned off. Possibly my mind registers pack fresh as too vague in a way that a bent card out of a pack could also be called pack fresh, of course major things would show in a good picture. (and I have in the past seen people on this website make a thread about a damaged card they have and then seen them put the same card on Ebay as "pack fresh" ha ha)

I would not change anything about your auctions though if your sales are fairly successful listing them as you do, "pack fresh" may be appealing to more than not, jury is still out?