`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Deadline

Trade Deadline
Is it exciting or frustrating for team collectors? When I got back into the hobby I made it a point that I would only collect retired players, or cards of them in O's uniform only. No interest in pre O's cards.

How do the rest of you do it?
Joe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collecting Cal Ripken, Eddie Murray, Manny Machado and any other nice Orioles.

RE: Trade Deadline
colby rasmus leaving st louis kind of sucks for me, i liked him as a cardinal but now i wouldnt want to get another card of his

As a team collector I accept it as part of the game. I'm not going to toss out/sell/trade my Colby Rasmus rookie cards. I will keep them and down the road look at them and say "oh yeah I remember when he was a Cardinal." It's cool to kind of have a cardboard retrospective of the Cardinals. As a fan of the team itself I'm just glad I root for a team that makes moves to improve rather than dump salary. It's obvious why Pirates fans ditched the team over the years, and if I was an Astros fan I would be furious. The Astros management may think they are sacrificing now to improve down the road, but to get rid of your best player in his prime is not giving up just now, but also giving up the next few years, and giving fans zero reason to show up to games. Also, if I was a player collector (such as Hunter Pence) because he played for the team I root for and he got traded, I would be incredibly frustrated. That's why the only player I specifically collect is Ozzie Smith. He's long retired so I don't have to worry about that. I trade for some Pujols once in a while and love when I pull his cards, but I don't spend much money/effort on him because I wouldn't want to build a massive collection only to feel like I wasted my time and money if he goes to another team.

(07-31-2011, 11:37 AM)dlcarst Wrote: As a team collector I accept it as part of the game. I'm not going to toss out/sell/trade my Colby Rasmus rookie cards. I will keep them and down the road look at them and say "oh yeah I remember when he was a Cardinal." It's cool to kind of have a cardboard retrospective of the Cardinals. As a fan of the team itself I'm just glad I root for a team that makes moves to improve rather than dump salary. It's obvious why Pirates fans ditched the team over the years, and if I was an Astros fan I would be furious. The Astros management may think they are sacrificing now to improve down the road, but to get rid of your best player in his prime is not giving up just now, but also giving up the next few years, and giving fans zero reason to show up to games. Also, if I was a player collector (such as Hunter Pence) because he played for the team I root for and he got traded, I would be incredibly frustrated. That's why the only player I specifically collect is Ozzie Smith. He's long retired so I don't have to worry about that. I trade for some Pujols once in a while and love when I pull his cards, but I don't spend much money/effort on him because I wouldn't want to build a massive collection only to feel like I wasted my time and money if he goes to another team.
That's pretty much how I feel. I only spend money on cards of retired O's. I don't mind trading for current players or prospects, but really just focus on the retired players.
Joe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collecting Cal Ripken, Eddie Murray, Manny Machado and any other nice Orioles.

I just collect by the team I collect braves and when a guy leaves the team behind I will still collect him so long as they are his older cards and he is still in Braves uni. I dont ditch the older cards or sell off a collection of a certain guy just because he leaves or is dumped off to another team..If Im a real big fan I may keep on trading for him in his new uniform i just wont like it as much..
[Image: jonathancard.png]

(07-31-2011, 10:08 AM)chiefsncards275 Wrote: colby rasmus leaving st louis kind of sucks for me, i liked him as a cardinal but now i wouldnt want to get another card of his
They just posted his BA on the Rangers game and it was .071, then he proceeded to hit a 2-run double. I hadn't heard any talk of that low of a batting average, but that's really low.