`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire....Do you think about it????

RE: Fire....Do you think about it????
(07-20-2011, 01:13 PM)ripkenfan72 Wrote: I have been thinking about this for a while now. Since I have returned to the hobby again I have spent a little fortune and love the cards I've bought.

Do you consider protecting them from fire? If you do, what do you use?

I have a small metal box right now I have some of my most valued cards in. Let me know how you protect your collection from this danger.
PM sent
[Image: aldavis.png]

I would think you would have a greater chance of being burglarized than losing your pc in a fire but Something to think about ... I always figured my renters ins would cover it but now that I think about it probably not. You probably do need a separate policy and a stated value of the cards.
[Image: eazyebanner.jpg]
Collecting ALL 2005 Frank Gore -148/406=36%
Collecting ALL 2006 Vernon davis -129/829=15%
Collecting ALL 2007 Patrick Willis -79/818=9%
Collecting ALL 2005-06 Monta Ellis -86/163=53%

(07-20-2011, 02:10 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i work as an consultant appraiser for one of the largest insurance companies, seen a lot of collections damaged by fires and floods:

1. quobbinnobbin: "when I checked into this several years ago with my insurance guy, he said cards are not covered under a normal homeowner's policy. It would require taking out a seperate, special policy. ".

this completely depends on who you have for insurance, but always ask. some are really good about it. some require separate policies, some require a statement of value. in my case, because i have an revolving inventory list, which changes day to day, i just use a generic line item as part of my renter's insurance. (i have USAA...theyre really great about this kind of stuff)

2. ripkenfan72: "I have a small metal box right now I have some of my most valued cards in."

now granted, i dont know kind of metal box you have. however: metal melts. seen it quite a few times where people had cards in metal boxes, and the box melted right down, right into the cards. also, if it isnt waterproof, it doesnt matter - if there is a fire, water is usually used to fight it. even if your metal case if good, if it even warps a little, the cards are susceptible to water damage.

there are no sure things. fire isnt your biggest problem though - floods. floods are gigantic problem. pumps stop working because of a power outage. roof collapses during a storm. you live in an apartment and your upstairs neighbor toilet stops up and floods his apartment and bursts through your ceiling (that one actually happened to me. i woke up, thought my wife was showering. water had burst through my ceiling on 4 different rooms, was coming through my light fixtures and through my electrical sockets). flooding is almost always a separate policy, so make sure you are covered on that
VERY informative, thank you ! I definitely have some thinking to do.

I keep mine in a waterproof/fireproof safe becuase I have thought about it. I dont want a fire or flood to happen I think to myself "what it i had them in a better protected place?" And most are graded for added protection. Also they are in little plastic clamshells for the graded cards for even more added protection.

Once my wife and pets were safe outside the house... You better believe I'm going back in for the cards.
[Image: newbanner_zps2f5eedb8.jpg]
Collect: Aaron Rodgers, Mike Evans, & Felix Hernandez,
"2 rules for success. #1 Dont tell them everything you know."
http://photobucket.com/4TRADEFAVRE3MVP

(07-20-2011, 03:24 PM)favre3mvp Wrote: Once my wife and pets were safe outside the house... You better believe I'm going back in for the cards.
I could see myself doing the exact same thing !

I think about it all the time Living in an apartment you have to worry about others as well. I Just hope it never happens.
Collecting Dolphins, PSU Alumni(in college uni)
[Image: catch.gif]

Like my Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/PHsportscards?ref=tn_tnmn

This is a very IRONIC thread. I don't ever read, and my wife LOVES it, and I hadn't read a book in a long time, so I decided, hell, I loved this book when I was younger, let me read it again. It was...

Fahrenheit 451

Tongue
[Image: BeckettBanner.jpg]

Jacquizz PC
Total = (259/354) 73%
Total minus 1/1 = (236/252) 94%

(07-20-2011, 01:13 PM)ripkenfan72 Wrote: I have been thinking about this for a while now. Since I have returned to the hobby again I have spent a little fortune and love the cards I've bought.

Do you consider protecting them from fire? If you do, what do you use?

I have a small metal box right now I have some of my most valued cards in. Let me know how you protect your collection from this danger.
Yes, and I have them in a fire proof filing cabinet, with a key to lock while i am away. I have considered bolting the cabinet to the floor where it cannot be moved, lol!
[Image: IMG_0004-3-1-1-1-1.jpg][Image: dcb5423c-6775-419e-9e21-4965884632ba.jpg]

I have a $100,000 insurance policy on my cards and electronics. Several documents and a seperate insurance policy and I got my agent to get me coverage no matter what happens. Costs me about $50 extra a month on top of my renters insurance. I still try to protect them tho - They go on a shelf in front of the front window with a sign on the window that says "Valuable cards, DO NOT STEAL!!" >.>

P.S - I think you're just paranoid LOL Tongue
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

I was too worried about the end of the world in 2012 to even think about this. Fire and the end of the world. Are our cards covered?!!