`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OT- Teaching 5yr old.

OT- Teaching 5yr old.
For the past week i've been teaching my 5 year old how to catch and throw properly. I have to say, it is very stressful and requires alot of patience. lol. Just trying to teach him how to move his feet and the glove goes where the ball is coming. His throwing is fun. He won't look at you but somewhere down the street and then take his arm all the way behind near his lower back and let it loose. lol.

He gets so frustrated after ten minutes of drills that he just wants to hit the ball. Oh yea he can really kill the ball. Smile Any advice out there dads? I have a 3yr old daughter who wants to play also. I think i'm gonna be in trouble. Wink

[Image: ge_zpse4f470b2.jpg]
Wanted: Indians, Cavs, Rookies, Inserts,Lebron and Kyrie.

RE: OT- Teaching 5yr old.
What I have been doing with my kid is this.

Step 1: Start with shoulder facing the target, hands together.
Step 2: Almost make a T with your arms. Glove pointing where you are throwing, the ball pouting away.
Step 3: Make an L with your throwing arm.
Step 4: Throw and follow through.

The start adding in a little step towards where you are throwing.

As for catching pop flys correctly. Stand on some steps and drop the ball into their glove. They will get used to catching above their heads. This worked magic for me.

Collecting TCU Alums: LaDanian Tomlinson, Andy Dalton, Jeremy Kerley etc.
Looking for Mike Schmidt Pre-1980's, Auto, GU, and GU/Autos

(07-13-2011, 04:54 PM)swindlehurst Wrote: What I have been doing with my kid is this.

Step 2: Almost make a T with your arms. Glove pointing where you are throwing, the ball pouting away.

As for catching pop flys correctly. Stand on some steps and drop the ball into their glove. They will get used to catching above their heads. This worked magic for me.
Thank You Sir. Sounds good Smile

(07-13-2011, 04:54 PM)swindlehurst Wrote: What I have been doing with my kid is this.

this is what i was going to start with. i've told my kids and a couple little league teams ive helped coach to keep your elbow away from your body when throwing.. don't short arm it. keeping the elbow in takes alot of "oomph" off the ball. my oldest can throw twice as far when he listens. the little leaguers listen better than my kids btw... also don't worry about speed.. get it to the glove in an accurate manner. after a while the motion becomes muscle memory and the speed can follow.
keep at it dad! it's frustrating but worth it
no org, please do not send trade requests

(07-13-2011, 05:01 PM)michaelstepper Wrote: this is what i was going to start with. i've told my kids and a couple little league teams ive helped coach to keep your elbow away from your body when throwing.. don't short arm it. keeping the elbow in takes alot of "oomph" off the ball. my oldest can throw twice as far when he listens. the little leaguers listen better than my kids btw... also don't worry about speed.. get it to the glove in an accurate manner. after a while the motion becomes muscle memory and the speed can follow.
keep at it dad! it's frustrating but worth it
This is some good stuff. I have a 2 year old who I have been playing catch with everyday since he could stand. He has an extremely accurate arm. It amazes me really... His favorite thing is playing catch and going to the beach and throwing rocks in the water. He could do this for hours without tiring. To better his accuracy, I throw a small log in the water and ask him to hit it with rocks... It has worked wonders I think.
He also has an excellent swing and pops the ball pretty good. He comes up to me with anything that is round in shape and asks me to pitch it to him.
When he gets a little older I will try to use some of the techniques above.

(07-13-2011, 05:27 PM)Blue_Horde Wrote: He comes up to me with anything that is round in shape and asks me to pitch it to him.
Haha. That's how my son is. There isn't a day in the summer when my son isn't with his Franklin Glove and 1 of the 3 different size wiffle ball bats. lol

Now if only I can get him to like the indians.

good pointers. I have been trying to practice catch with my two kids they are 4 and 2. The two year old seems much more interested in sports than my 4 year old right now. I'll have to try some of the tips you mentioned.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

Started coaching my sons little league team this year after helping out last year. Some of the other coaches in the league are great. One of my kid's dad is a highschool coach, so I have received a lot of helpful info.

A good game is 21.

give them a grounder.
they have to throw the ball to you.
In the chest box is worth 2 points.
outside the body is worth 1
anything you have to reach/jump for and catch, 0 points.
bad throws -1.

you can also start counting when they field the grounder to help them get it out of their hands faster.

you can have many variations and rules and point systems depending on your kid's skill. By making a game out of it, your kid will get better while having fun.
Collecting TCU Alums: LaDanian Tomlinson, Andy Dalton, Jeremy Kerley etc.
Looking for Mike Schmidt Pre-1980's, Auto, GU, and GU/Autos

This what I used to do. My dad would though a rackett ball on the roof and let it roll down. He showed me several. It tought me to run towards the ball, and to react to the ball and to catch the ball. If the ball hit me it did not hurt at all beacuse it was a soft ball. plus I was able to squeeze the ball in my glove. Plus you can run him to the ball and help him guide his glove and if the ball hits you it wont hurt.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

My son was the same way, at age 2 throwing anything.
Now...
[Image: expr11868.jpg]

Summer league picture...
Pitches for Atlantic 10 team.
So..

Keep throwing and catching your son!!!