`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Im so sick of this monopoly

RE: Im so sick of this monopoly
(07-13-2011, 06:44 AM)keyser soze Wrote: Don't like it? Write and call MLB to complain about it.
Have to agree. Voices of the fans speak volume.

100% AGREE!!!!!
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

.....I know the ending to this story, those $100 a box products that produce 4 "hits" that collectors are apparently clamoring for will produce 3 single swatch jersey cards and one auto of a middle reliever for the Blue Jays and the collectors talk trash about the product....no one will every be happy
[Image: 374.gif][Image: 1337.gif]

You can please some of the people some of the time. But you can't please all of the people all the time.
A quote that rings so true in the sports card market.

I would like to see Topps put out a product where the chances of getting a patch card from a mid range product are not 1 in a million, rather 1 per box. I am also sick of this manufactured crap. They are running out of relics to manufacture, so maybe next year we will have manufactured socks. The only Topps product I have acctually liked since UD lost their baseball licence was Gypsy Queen, but it was so overpriced that I could only afford 2 packs.
[Image: youkjumbosig_zps780de657.png]
Help me find the last one of these ^^^!!!
Bucket http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/20youksox
Current Youkilis Count:602/2117- 28.43%

(07-13-2011, 07:12 AM)jerodc10 Wrote: .....I know the ending to this story, those $100 a box products that produce 4 "hits" that collectors are apparently clamoring for will produce 3 single swatch jersey cards and one auto of a middle reliever for the Blue Jays and the collectors talk trash about the product....no one will every be happy
I agree...I'd rather see the jersey/bat thing go away and only do patches or star autos...Let high end stuff have the hits for the right price and let the other products set no expectations but still have a random possibility of pulling something...I think that philosophy has actually helped the blaster box market as you pay a reasonable price and have a reasonable expectation as to what you get

Panini has a good chance of getting an MLB license. That would be good for the hobby, fans, and baseball (bad for Topps). UD and MLB had a very messy and bad divorce, i dont see UD getting back inot baseball anytime soon.

I really think Panini getting back into the game and releasing a good Leaf set with Diamond kings autos would be awesome!
[Image: Banner.jpg]

(07-12-2011, 10:35 PM)011873 Wrote: as a card store owner, its pretty pathetic what's going on.
On paper, you see 18 or so products and figure that's enough, but thats not thw whole story.

Almost Everything topps makes is a niche product.
Four are the lowest end products.
Four are prospects
four crazy high end ($50-$300 a pack)
Three Are retro

That leaves finest and chrome. Finest is always sold as a mini box at minimum ($50 or more) and chrome has autos of only rookies.
There's a few new products still to be made so total doesn't add up.

The hobby NEEDS a "donruss like" product which is $4-$6 a pack, 3-4 autos/gu a box
and cards using todays technology (aka NOT retro).

In other words, products which appeal to most collectors.
many collectors don't like retro/lowest end stuff (they also don't make sets) just as many could care less about 18yr olds in A ball.

And how many collectors have a hundred bucks to drop on ONE PACK?

Its clear that for the most part, collectors who like higher end issues don't buy basic topps or opening day.

As a store owner, I'm on the front line and hear it all from mycustomers. As someone who attends the major shows around this country, its the same there too.

I miss donruss and ud, I really do.
You're not the only one... I am not even a shop owner, just an average low-mid end collector and I feel the same as you do. I miss being able to choose which brands and card companies to buy product from, now its just topps and most of them are having major quality control issues now. I would absolutely love it if Donruss or UD came back with some new sets.

[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

I love building sets but can't afford to build anything but basic Topps. I did 206 last year and had to buy 3 boxes which was way more than I should have spent. I miss plain old Fleer and Donruss.

over the last five or so years, I've voiced my opinions to both mlb and topps in person at the conferences in hawaii, phoenix, florida and vegas.

When donruss was axed, I signed the online petition and sent out emails to both evan kaplan and judy heeter.

Since that time, topps has gotten worse AND has put retail stores well above hobby stores in terms of importance and quality of products.

I know topps reads this board and another which I post on. I've tried my best but what else is there ro do?

I would LOVE the following products to return (each are $4-$6 a pack)
Diamond Kings
Elite (extra edition is totally different)
Donruss
leather & lumber
Studio
Throwback threads
Donruss greats
Champions
Classics
Leaf

Each one of the above fits exactly what the hobby is looking for.

Obviously, I would also love Absolute, certified etc but those are higher srps.