`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
contest for a 1975 topps nolan ryan

contest for a 1975 topps nolan ryan

I was so moved by the fans kind gesture during his gathering of derek jeters 3000th hit that i want to do a contest for it. The contest being "what would you have done if you were in his shoes", me personally would have did the same thing. I heard the ball was estimated at $250,000, so his act of of kindness was very moving. I'm looking for what you would have done and why if you were the one who got his 3,000th ball. All honesty is appreciated. Here is the prize:

[Image: p_00196.jpg]

RE: contest for a 1975 topps nolan ryan
I think I would have cut out the middle man and given it strait to the hall. But I guess a 1 yr pass to Cooperston isn't as sweet as as yankee tickets. But yeah he did a good thing. Once I gave a foul ball I caught at a game to a kid in front of me. It made me feel good and the kid was sooo excited!

Growing up, I've always been more satisfied with a handshake and a 10 minute conversation with my favorite athletes than nabbing a quick autograph. The stories and experiences mean so much more. $250,000 is a nice payday, but I would like to think I'd do the same thing. Being able to personally hand over such a monumental momento of a great milestone and shake the man's hand would be enough for me. Sometimes there has to be a line drawn between the hobby and real life.
[Image: 3XHoG.png][Image: untitled.png]
Collecting:Andrew McCutchen, Duke Snider & Brooklyn Dodgers
I ship on weekends

(07-11-2011, 09:41 PM)southpaugh2002 Wrote: I was so moved by the fans kind gesture during his gathering of derek jeters 3000th hit that i want to do a contest for it. The contest being "what would you have done if you were in his shoes", me personally would have did the same thing. I heard the ball was estimated at $250,000, so his act of of kindness was very moving. I'm looking for what you would have done and why if you were the one who got his 3,000th ball. All honesty is appreciated. Here is the prize:
I'm really not sure what i'd do, what the guy did was certainly a class act in giving Jeter the ball. The estimated value of the seats & memoriabilia he got in return was valued at $72,000.00.... and he is going to have to pay "gift taxes" of about $14,000.00. Nice reward.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

Because I absolutely love and adore the game of baseball I would have easily given the ball to Jeter. There are so many things I have grown up to learn in life that baseball has taught me, it was the ultimate gesture of respect not only to the Yankees/Jeter, but to the game of baseball itself.

It's gestures like what this fan did that reminds me that there are still whole-hearted fans out there and that we're all not just out there to make a buck...
[Image: Sports_guy21_Beckett-Banner.png]

You know to be honest I might have given it to my son. He loves Jeter and thinks the guy walks on water ...I know it means a lot to Jeter and for good reason..However Jeter will always have the memories of what he has done and the impact he has made on baseball..If I didnt have a son who loved Derek Jeter then sure give it back to him no reward necessary, but being a hero in my sons eyes by giving him something his hero did would make my life...
[Image: jonathancard.png]

(07-11-2011, 10:03 PM)jonathancard Wrote: You know to be honest I might have given it to my son. He loves Jeter and thinks the guy walks on water ...I know it means a lot to Jeter and for good reason..However Jeter will always have the memories of what he has done and the impact he has made on baseball..If I didnt have a son who loved Derek Jeter then sure give it back to him no reward necessary, but being a hero in my sons eyes by giving him something his hero did would make my life...
I would have got it signed by the the big three, Jeter, Mo, and Posada. That's not something you would sell, I would hold on to that forever.

Lovey dovey is real nice but lets be real. Im a working stiff. $250,000 even after taxes it is still a couple years salary for me. As much as I would love to be a nice guy and make a grand gesture. I also got a 3mo daughter and a 3yo son. I need the money. Sorry Mr. Jeter you can afford it if you want it.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

i honestly would ask for season tickets for life, that may be alot of money overall but hey it's only 1 seat of multiple thousands right?

Would have given it to my little brother. He has been a Yankees fan since he was five and would cherish the ball. His idols have always been Jeter and Matsui.
He would also have some good stories for the kid he counsels at a sports camp, where he also teaches them to play baseball. Maybe it would give him some added incentive for making the college baseball team, where he has been cut the last two years.