`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worried :( .....No More.....BGS GRADE RESULTS SCAN 8/12......

Worried :( .....No More.....BGS GRADE RESULTS SCAN 8/12......
A several years ago I bought a lot of Ripken Jr RCs including his Topps Traded. They came in these neat block style protector. I thought cool never have to worry about damage. Well.......got them out today and I notice something. Discoloring on the surface( scan is blurry but you can see the discoloring). Take a look....

[Image: scan0005-1.jpg]

For those who have felt my pain. Here is a shot of my baby...

[Image: scan0004-1.jpg]
****Wanted a b4 and after shot when I get this puppy off the protector Smile****
(The color is off only because I was tweaking with scanner)

Here is after I got them unstuck from the protector....YEAHHHHHH!!!!

[Image: scan0008-1.jpg]

Here is a picture of the graded card Smile .....

[Image: DSC03457.jpg]

**See my post on Page 3 of this Thread for how I got them unstuck without damaging Big Grin **

YEAAAHHHHH Big Grin I am totally excited. Just had to share. Comments welcome Smile

RE: Worried :( .....Need some advice......
I have heard that those protectors will actually almost become part of the card after being in them for a long time. Like sticking to them and when you take them out there is a chance of them getting ruined. Hopefully doesn't happen in this case.
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

yes they can damage your cards. Best thing to do would be to put the card in a soft sleeve then back into the screw down.
Finally Completed!!!
[Image: CruzRainbow_zpsabe5dffb.jpg]

(07-05-2011, 07:55 PM)ripkenfan72 Wrote: A several years ago I bought a lot of Ripken Jr RCs including his Topps Traded. They came in these neat block style protector. I thought cool never have to worry about damage. Well.......got them out today and I notice something. Discoloring on the surface( scan is blurry but you can see the discoloring). Take a look....

[Image: scan0005-1.jpg]

I you notice along the right side of the card it looks like the white is wearing off the surface. What I need to know is....

Are these type of protectors bad? (I mean this may sound crazy but the card doesn't get any air)

Should I remove them and put them in regular protectors?

Opinions would be GREATLY appreciated Smile
my advise is to carefully take it out of the existing holder and examine the extent of the damage.

it is possible the discolouration is in the plastic casing itself, since it is a molded product and the flow of plastic maybe different in that area due to it's contours.

if it has slightly damaged the card I would suggest putting the card in a new penny sleeve and inserting it into a brand new screw down type case if that is the style you prefer.

imho screw down cases can actually damage the card more that leaving it in a traditional top loader. Since the card is in direct contact with the case it can cause "pressing" marks in a card, flatten the corners, and the oils from manufacturing (if any are left over) can attack the paper leaving reside like you may be seeing now Sad

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya T ..... hopefully it's in the plastic and not the card Sad

pbean

RE: Worried :( .....Need some advice...Updated :(...
Well unscrewed 4 of the protectors. 2 of the cards not damaged and are now in the proper protectors.

Now for the BAD news.....2 of the cards are stuck tight to one side of the protector. 1 of them, with my luck of course, is the Topps Traded RC. I wanna CRY Sad

Anyone know if there is a way these cards can be loosened from the protector. I am hoping letting them get some air will loosen them (hopefully not wishful thinking)

Any help appreciated Sad Still crying Sad

I think the best thing you can do right now is have patience. Hopefully the humidity in the air will help...if not, you can encourage by having it near the steam from a teapot. Unfortunately, that can ruin cards too.

So sorry T!! Sad
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

That is horrible to see. Sorry that had to happen to you. Like you and RW34 said though, maybe if you leave it alone, it might come off on its own now that air is hitting it.
Currently collect: NON-SERIAL NUMBERED autos, Topps, and Topps Chrome cards of players in Bengals uniforms.

(07-05-2011, 08:32 PM)ricky williams 34 Wrote: I think the best thing you can do right now is have patience. Hopefully the humidity in the air will help...if not, you can encourage by having it near the steam from a teapot. Unfortunately, that can ruin cards too.

So sorry T!! Sad
Thanks Wendy. I have all the patience in the world. I am gonna find a nice breezy place and sit them there and pray for the best. When I lose patience, the one I am willing to lose to figure a way to loosen the Topps Traded without ruining it. I know this sounds wierd cuz it's only a material item but I'm saying some prayers.

Try just simply breathing hot air on it, will be less moisture then a teapot but hopefully enough. Either way let it sit and get air overnight. Let us know what happens and good luck!!

I have used dental floss once with a Ozzie RC it kind of worked lol ..

good luck man
[Image: mikethomas_banner-1.jpg]
Mike Thomas Collection Thread
Working 3rd shift, so please be patient to my replies Smile