`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All Star Lineup Rant

RE: All Star Lineup Rant
(07-05-2011, 12:41 PM)johnxgodfree Wrote: surprised tommy hanson didn't make it, but braves have a pretty solid showing on the team.

the stars on the back collar of their jerseys is a nice touch... have they done that in prior years?
no they added that this year, do i see some better patch cards in the future with these stars, i think yes Smile

(07-04-2011, 11:48 PM)thelegendjerryrice Wrote: + 1

It was not like this back in the day. You had a bad year you didn't get voted to play.

Today it's all about your NAME. Not what you do on the field.
Back in the day????

Cincinnati Reds voting controversy

When fan voting to determine the game's starters was completed, seven Cincinnati Reds players (Ed Bailey, Johnny Temple, Roy McMillan, Don Hoak, Frank Robinson, Gus Bell and Wally Post) had been elected to start in the All-Star Game. The only non-Red elected to start for the National League was St. Louis Cardinal first baseman Stan Musial. While the Reds were known to be a great offensive team with many outstanding position players, most baseball observers agreed that they did not deserve seven starters in the All-Star Game. An investigation showed that over half of the ballots cast came from Cincinnati. The Cincinnati Enquirer had printed up pre-marked ballots and distributed them with the Sunday newspaper to make it easy for Reds fans to vote often. There were even stories of bars in Cincinnati not serving alcohol to customers until they filled out a ballot.

Commissioner Ford Frick decided to appoint Willie Mays of the New York Giants and Hank Aaron of the Milwaukee Braves to substitute for Reds players Gus Bell and Wally Post. In addition, Frick decided to strip the fans of their voting rights. Managers, players, and coaches picked the entire team until 1970, when the vote again returned to the fans.

(07-04-2011, 06:26 PM)Reductio_Ad_Absurdum Wrote: I was watching when they were announcing the lineup on TV, and Cal Ripken, Jr. said something about being a fan of popular voting because he ended up playing in a lot of All Star games he felt he didn't deserve to be in. Fan voting is better than any alternative, even if the lineups don't turn out too great.

But if we're going to rant, WHERE IS CC SABATHIA???? All those Yankees and they miss out on the best. I also don't think admitted Steroid users should be "All-Stars" ...A-Rod
My opinion also

I agree. And no one can tell me with a straight face that Jeter deserved to be on the roster and not Jhonny Peralta!!! He should have started for cryin out loud!

I definitely agree with a lot that is said in this thread but I think an important thing that is missing is that, they want to make it mean something (home field advantage) but they have that awful rule that there has to be at least one player from each team. I think that is a horrible rule, maybe just because the ASG has some meaning now. It would be dissapointed for a team to not have home field advantage because someone from the Astros, Royals, Marlins, etc. you get my idea.

I am a huge Yankees fan and yes Jeter doesn't deserve to be a starter. But sadly this happens every year as someone who is having an un-All-Star year makes it. Jeter is just a very popular player that's why he got voted in. If he had been voted in because he is a Yankee than every Yankees player would be starting. The All-Star game tends to be decided late in the game, so Jeter won't be playing and your guy Asdrubal Cabrera will probably be playing when the game is on the line. The real crime is CC Sabathia not being on the All-Star roster.

sabathia didnt get picked because he has a sunday start