`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLEASE HELP WITH 1954 RED HEART MANTLE

PLEASE HELP WITH 1954 RED HEART MANTLE
IVE BEEN LOOKING ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND I CANT FIND ANY INF ABOUT HOW TO SPOT A FAKE 54 RED HEART SO IF ANYONE CAN HELP THAT WOULD BE GREAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PRINTING PATTERN WAS USED AND WETHER PAPER STOCK WAS THIN OR THICK ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT here is high resolution scan of card im thinking about buying any info or opinions would be great
Photobucket

Photobucket

RE: PLEASE HELP WITH 1954 RED HEART MANTLE
The originals will almost always be stained and the card stock will have a Yellowish tint from aging.

The reprints will be newer Whiter paper and the process for the printing will be photograve. The image will be in small dots. The image itself will be smaller than the originals because it is a photo and not a printing plate.

Reprints will glow under a Black Light because of the chemicals used to make the newer paper white.

Hope this helps
I have been gone a long time, my ideas on collecting have changed as I have aged. Will only be here Off and On because things are different. Not going to do much Trading but will offer some items For Sale. As Always, Have FUN !...Mel

thanks alot do you know if card stock is thick (like a 34) or thin like early 70s topps

Not the best picture in the world but here is an example from my collection. You can see the yellowing that Mel is talking about plus a couple of stains on the front. Unless you are absolutely sure, I would steer clear of ungraded copies. Not 100% but better than raw for the untrained eye.

Photobucket
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

thanks for all the help this is the card im worried about a friend of mine is gonna sell it for 150.00 and even let me bring it home to research it but cant find any info so if anyone can tell anything from pic let me know thanks
Photobucket

Photobucket

I am going to go with real. The color is right, stains look right (that sounds funny) and even the corner wear/dings look "natural". That and it's slightly OC. Rarely do you see a fake that's OC. I'd like others to chime in though.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

I might think different with the card in hand but it looks right. The registry is slightly off which is common with the aligning of the plates in the printing process. My only reservation is that it might look too good, has no creases or visible dings,,,,,,Good Luck!

PS, mickey7mantle7 had a graded copy. If he sees this he might still have a pic to post.
I have been gone a long time, my ideas on collecting have changed as I have aged. Will only be here Off and On because things are different. Not going to do much Trading but will offer some items For Sale. As Always, Have FUN !...Mel

I think it is real IMO.

The lines are what tips it off. They are slightly off, which is part of the printing process back then. And where the color meets the lines it is usually crisp with fakes whereas this one has some small gaps from the printing process.