`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What changes should card companies make to improve the hobby?

RE: What changes should card companies make to improve the hobby?
(06-27-2011, 08:20 AM)koolkellygirl Wrote: And, maybe even a subset where they highlight a couple of the better coaches and some of the HOF players from that team...
having any coaches cards in any product would be nice. i really feel like card companies overlook this idea.

Especially to "team collectors," a coach's auto could be that one thing missing from a collection.

Plus i'd be a lot happier pulling a head coach auto then that 6th rd pick he chose who's auto wont be worth 10 dollars next year
collecting LeGarrette Blount, Colt Lyerla & other Ducks
[Image: youngducks-1.png]
[Image: inceptionrainbow3.jpg]

At card shows, the manufacturers should hold sponsored PC contests/competitions, just like at a car show. This would get more people to the shows, and get the hobby more attention. The more interest, and the more new collectors that get involved, the more our cards are worth.
2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

- Just because you have auto stickers or access to a guy's autograph otherwise doesn't mean he has to have an auto in every single set that year. Throw some suspense as to who's going to be in a product every once in a while, and maybe have someone be a surprise who's signature might actually be hard to find.
- On the same note, if a guy hasn't signed, don't put his card in the set. If a player signs only a hundred or so of the stickers you send him, and that's all that gets packed out, those autos are going to be valuable. If you go ahead and throw 3,000 redemptions in there that will take several years if they ever actually get signed, they'll just be annoying.
- In most cases, autographs and jerseys should be their own cards, and not parallels. If you have to make a hit a parallel of a base card/insert, bite the bullet, pay the money to make extra printing plates, and change the card's design to make room for the swatch or sticker. CUT IT OUT WITH ALL THE STUPID DEAD SPACE ON THE BASE VERSION, PANINI.
- Someone needs to do a set like '91 Pro Set, minus all the errors and over-printing. Two series, 17 veteran players and one coach per team, subsets that cover all the league leaders, award winners, Pro Bowlers, and major happenings over the course of the season, an RC for every single player drafted in the first three rounds, and an update set to cover anyone who got left out. Basically the opposite of the 100 card base sets that just serve as in-pack padding for the autograph these days.
- Bring back Topps Total.
- Either get rid of event-worn or actually limit it to just the jersey you see on the card. Nothing is worse than a card with a player who wears the number 25 with a patch that's clearly part of a number four. Especially when it's pretty much one of 35,000 by the time they use up all the jerseys.
- Speaking of using up the jerseys, event-worn stuff should not be on second-year cards. If you couldn't get a game-used jersey, maybe that player doesn't need another jersey card yet.
- Sets with actual themes, beyond "here are some rookies and stars" or "here are the guys from the rookie photo shoot."

This is getting long, so for the most part, just look at what Topps does design-wise with Triple Threads and what Panini does in every way with absolutely everything and just stop all of that.
I think I've finally lost interest.

Less products with bigger base sets, one set with a good bunch of sp's, and cooler redemps like the stuff found in last year's racing 5 star.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

It wasn't that long ago that companies did put out products with fewer autos and hits. The problem...people stopped buying them and went for the flashier guaranteed hits even if the player was garbage.

I know rookies drive the hobby. I'm all for decreasing the actual number of autos and jerseys on rookie players, no matter where they were picked in the draft. Put more veteran autos in the packs. At least they are proven entities.

I know veteran sigs cost more to get. You could get them as rookies and pack them out later. Also, imagine how much more valuable that player's rookie auto card would be if he didn't have many out there when he blew up in year 3 or 4 of his pro career?

Think of it like a rookie salary cap and putting more money into established players!

Also, stop calling a worthless single colored event worn jersey/patch a hit. I'm all for throwing those in and limiting the total hits to autos or auto jerseys cards.

Get rid of the "case hit" concept. Put them out there without letting us know how many are out there or in a case. Surprise us. Don't say case hit only to find it is a Brandon Jackson/Brian Calhoun dual patch auto booklet. Yuck.

That's just a cop out to say you put in a "case hit". Make them legit case hits!

An occasional parallel is fine. Five or 6 are not! Fix this because it demonstrates a lack of creativity.

Finally....packs/boxes with lots of throwaway inserts are just garbage. Get rid of unnecessary inserts just to give the illusion you are getting a lot of cards for your money. I'd rather pay for less cards in a pack or get more dummy white cards. At least I can re-use those when shipping instead of trying to convince someone you're giving them a bonus by shipping your garbage to them.

some great discussion here Smile

my thoughts .....

1st and 2nd round rookies #d to 699 or less (let's get the BV and "collectability" back into "true RC's") Smile

the rest of em ..... just "base" no numbering, no parallels etc.

Rookie autos .....

1st and 2nd round 199 or less
the rest up to 999

Rookie "jerseys" all draft levels ..... auto'd with jumbo and or prime patch only, make them a "case hit" Smile

1 Veteran auto or patch per box, no more no less

Get rid of "guaranteed" hits, all the "fluff", the kazillion inserts need to go ..... make them rare and "special" again Sad

"Hard" pack all cards ..... look at 2010 Prime, no way folks can pack search those Wink

I as well hate the event used stuff. Also make more sets like topps total with 10 players from each team. Loved that set only way a few guys i collect had cards.

Do mroe sets like Fan favorites from 04 topps. Was great to see autos of guys who NEVER had autos and have since to yet.
Collecting Dolphins, PSU Alumni(in college uni)
[Image: catch.gif]

Like my Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/PHsportscards?ref=tn_tnmn

(06-27-2011, 09:33 AM)whodeyalltheway Wrote: I was liking this statement till the end....I hate you Wink
At a sorry attempt at redemption, I'm a HUUUGE Reds fan!!!
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]

Get rid of sticker auto's and have them sign on-card. And if it's not doable, atleast have the stickers large enough so that the auto's don't go off the sticker. Cause I really don't like sticker auto's where the auto runs off. Or better, tell the signers to sign big enough that's seeable, but small enough so the auto doesnt run off the sticker. Also, if your gonna have an athlete sign on a jersey, such as UD did with the booklets, at least have them sign with sharpies that make the auto's seeable. Don't sign in black on a black jersey piece. And get rid of the high serial numbering. I think that cards numbered beyond 200 shouldn't be serial'd.
AND I DON'T LIKE COMPANIES WHO HOLDS BACK &/OR GIVE THE BEST CARDS OF A PRODUCT AS REPLACEMENTS. such as that Derrick Rose 1/1 and that Sam Bradford 1/1 that were given as replacement.

(06-27-2011, 06:56 PM)pbean Wrote: 1 Veteran auto or patch per box, no more no less
this was my next complaint. i have NEVER pulled a veteran auto.

i'd rather pull one veteran auto in a box than pull 3 rookie autos of mediocre players
collecting LeGarrette Blount, Colt Lyerla & other Ducks
[Image: youngducks-1.png]
[Image: inceptionrainbow3.jpg]