`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why, Oh Why, Basketball Board?

RE: Why, Oh Why, Basketball Board?
well yeah they all go for the bigger names but they will always go for guys like the lesser but no names like mike williams arrelious benn toby gerhart it all depends on what you collect everyone has a reason. in football you see more team collectors i think that is also a biggy...
Betts Hursh Kimbrel Smile

[Image: bd2740c1-d591-4332-b7b1-0528f205c994_zpsdbff6c02.jpg]

(06-27-2011, 04:44 PM)got watcha want Wrote: "Especially since some of them have stolen proprietary data."

OK, Xtreme

If you sell your data at a specific rate to all customers and someone buys that pricing data and does not sell it as "pricing data", but uses it to advertise a high price on their site that I think you have mentioned with your edit above. Does that mean because they are brodcasting that data, they are not operating within the copywrite laws? Private sellers and collectors do this all the time on ebay auction titles and descriptions.

FYI-There are some sites out there that sell cards and advertise the hi BV in the listing. I won't mention them.

There are also some very specific sites that list pricing for specific thing like say vintage Mickey Mantle cards, if they use the same pricing in your database, is that copywrite infingemnet?

Also, I have found another site that is mimicing beckett and that coveted database. ( Don't worry guys, it is actually more expensive than here on Beckett with less options as well. ) Now if Beckett pricing and the majority of pricing in both databases is the same, is that copywrite infringment since both database's are suppose to reflect the same market?

Since **T_ff St_ff** has gone under, how did Beckett handle that in the more popular magazine years, some of the pricing in both guides were the same sometimes back then? Becket really has a monopoly on the sports card pricing industry if they are the only ones that can price cards within the law.

Hope my personal edit above slides since that group has gone under.

excellent questions! but i think a lawyer would need to address them. i like your thinking though.
[Image: bannernew.jpg]

See my bucket organized by sport and then by player or team: http://s174.photobucket.com/user/thump17er/library/Basketball%20Scans?sort=6&page=1

i used to ALWAYS come on here and post stuff (pre 2007). then beckett went through that change in management and redesigned this place which made it difficult finding the message board. when that happened, some collectors PM'd me and told me about 1-2 other lively message boards where bkb collectors were leaving to. at the time, i didn't even realize there were other message boards out there other than the beckett one.

now i visit about 10 other boards regularly.

with the recent update again on beckett (6-12 months ago ish?) it has been easier to find the bkb message boards, but sadly it is nowhere near what i recall what it was like when i left. I guess a lot of people never came back.

i find myself coming here once a day now, but its really quiet. the other forums i visit have MUCH livelier chatter and have new topics every day.

MIKE

I plan on visiting the basketball boards more now! I was waiting for my man, Klay Thompson, to be drafted and am just waiting for his first cards to be released. I'm actually quite surprised there aren't any pre-draft sets like there are in football.

When is the first release with the new rooks in it?

(06-27-2011, 05:02 PM)motu79 Wrote: I plan on visiting the basketball boards more now! I was waiting for my man, Klay Thompson, to be drafted and am just waiting for his first cards to be released. I'm actually quite surprised there aren't any pre-draft sets like there are in football.

I believe it's Panini Prestige. I think the release date is in an article in the News section.

(06-27-2011, 04:44 PM)got watcha want Wrote: "Especially since some of them have stolen proprietary data."

OK, Xtreme

If you sell your data at a specific rate to all customers and someone buys that pricing data and does not sell it as "pricing data", but uses it to advertise a high price on their site that I think you have mentioned with your edit above. Does that mean because they are brodcasting that data, they are not operating within the copywrite laws? Private sellers and collectors do this all the time on ebay auction titles and descriptions.

FYI-There are some sites out there that sell cards and advertise the hi BV in the listing. I won't mention them.

There are also some very specific sites that list pricing for specific thing like say vintage Mickey Mantle cards, if they use the same pricing in your database, is that copywrite infingemnet?

Also, I have found another site that is mimicing beckett and that coveted database. ( Don't worry guys, it is actually more expensive than here on Beckett with less options as well. ) Now if Beckett pricing and the majority of pricing in both databases is the same, is that copywrite infringment since both database's are suppose to reflect the same market?

Since **T_ff St_ff** has gone under, how did Beckett handle that in the more popular magazine years, some of the pricing in both guides were the same sometimes back then? Becket really has a monopoly on the sports card pricing industry if they are the only ones that can price cards within the law.

Hope my personal edit above slides since that group has gone under.
Matt's right, probably better answered by Beckett or their lawyers, but essentially, there are sites out there that pay for the right to display some of the values, and there are other sites that do not pay for the right and they profit from it. But I do NOT know all of the details, simply that there are sites out there in litigation with Beckett for set name infringement as well as prices. For instance, if a card comes out that is a parallel that has a signature, is a different color than the normal one, and has a patch, the card name can be many things. One of the agreements when signing up to the site is that all information on the site that was provided by the site (or something like that) cannot be reused else where without Beckett's consent. Now, that doesn't mean that us little people can't list a card on eBay with that name, simply that if you have a site or something that you profit from and you're using something Beckett had before you, then you're in fault. If Beckett lists on a specific day 2009-10 Prestige Black Prime Signatures and a week later someone were to list on their site or magazine or publication the same name, when Panini may call it 2009-10 Prestige Signatures Prime Black (this is just an example), then if that site uses what Beckett put, then that MAY be infringement. However, like I said, a lawyer would better explain it. I just know I have to enforce it. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(06-27-2011, 05:02 PM)motu79 Wrote: I plan on visiting the basketball boards more now! I was waiting for my man, Klay Thompson, to be drafted and am just waiting for his first cards to be released. I'm actually quite surprised there aren't any pre-draft sets like there are in football.

Are you a Cougar fan? I will also be collecting his cards whenever they come out.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(06-28-2011, 02:09 AM)nickm1123 Wrote: Are you a Cougar fan? I will also be collecting his cards whenever they come out.
Yeah! I'm an alum from 2002. I didn't jump on the Weaver bus, and was happy to see Klay picked early. He'll most likely stuggle a little at first, but he should be alright over time.

I have a suggestion...

Please can we remove the Trading and Box Breaks sub forum? That way, all of the basketball threads will be in this one forum. As a result, it will at least give the illusion that the basketball forum is busier than it appears. Also, it will encourage more people to view the box breaks and trade threads.

I can't speak for everyone else but, currently, I don't even bother checking the Trading and Box Breaks forum, partly because I'm lazy, but partly because I know I can't trade due to my refusal to be held hostage to the $20 Organize fee (I accidentally went over 100 cards and can't get back under because my Organize is now 'frozen').

As a result, I won't be trading any time soon. But I'd like to still read new threads. Currently, those few threads are spread out across too many sub-forums. Put them all together, like the old days.

(06-28-2011, 09:36 AM)will23c1982 Wrote: I have a suggestion...

Please can we remove the Trading and Box Breaks sub forum? That way, all of the basketball threads will be in this one forum. As a result, it will at least give the illusion that the basketball forum is busier than it appears. Also, it will encourage more people to view the box breaks and trade threads.

I can't speak for everyone else but, currently, I don't even bother checking the Trading and Box Breaks forum, partly because I'm lazy, but partly because I know I can't trade due to my refusal to be held hostage to the $20 Organize fee (I accidentally went over 100 cards and can't get back under because my Organize is now 'frozen').

As a result, I won't be trading any time soon. But I'd like to still read new threads. Currently, those few threads are spread out across too many sub-forums. Put them all together, like the old days.
It's interesting you say that because people have been asking for sub forums even on the old site, and now they want more sub forums. Smile Some of the sub forums I mentioned before were some of the ones people have been asking for. Just like you said about you not checking the Trading or Box Break forums, there are people that ONLY check those forums. It's a good and a bad thing at the same time. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards