`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why, Oh Why, Basketball Board?

RE: Why, Oh Why, Basketball Board?
i agree nick, its sad, but without this site, im out of the hobby, as ive stated before, i bought a couple of boxes, joined back on here after a several year layoff, and this site made the hobby fun again with the talk, trading, and what not, i have been seeing alot of new faces on here lately so that is good, but its just troubling when you look at the post/thread count for each respective sport and basketball is fourth. i just always thought the 3 big sports were baseball, football, then basketball, although i do acknowledge hockey has grown in popularity over the years, albeit, for the wrong reason imo, if you want to watch a fight, go to a boxing match or mma event, but thats entirely off topic. i mean look at the baseball and football board, they have several "important threads", the basketball board has one and there is 2 posts in it, lol. i cant say much about that since i havent contributed to that thread but i dont consider myself a super collector because i only have a little under 832 different mj's in my main pc. and im not saying i want to see alot of useless posts in threads, just to build the post count, but i just wanna know what we can do to build the interest!!!! if i had all the money in the world i would break boxes everyday just to grow the activity lol. and its sad to say but the only friend i grew up collecting with would love to get back in the hobby but he isnt in the financial position to do so. maybe beckett could give an incentive to lcs's that sale their magazine to get customers to sign up for the online thing, although i doubt lcs's would want to lose the revenue of selling magazines, i just dont know, and looking for ideas from my hobby friends.
(06-26-2011, 10:29 PM)jdetter23 Wrote: I think sadly its the products. Less people buy basketball when compared to football and baseball.I can see why too, I mean outside of the few big hits like an MJ,Kobe,Lebron,Wade,Durant,Griffin, or Curry auto all the rest just arent as good. I know when I bought the 2010-2011 SP it put a sour taste in my mouth for basketball because I had 2 low name rookies as my guaranteed autos. With the other sports theres also more people to collect. On a basketball team theres only 3-4 players youd want to collect.Most basketball people only collect Jordan,Durant,Kobe or Lebron so theres not gonna be much discussion if those arent involved. I do like the football board, a lot of people want to help others with their collections. I love basketball the most but collecting wise its not as good as the others.
i understand your point of view, but this has been a great year for basketball. ofcourse you have the regulars that sell/trade well and are highly collectible, but youve had alot of players step up their collect ability, such as rose, love, mavs blowing up in the playoffs (this finals was one of the most watched in a long time), westbrook, rondo (along with the celtics greats), and im sure theres alot of players that have grown in popularity in collectors respective areas. i havent ever bought baseball, but its my understanding theres alot pulls you will get that the player may never even play in the bigs, and with football, there are over 150 people that are drafted and you have more players on a team, so it seems your odds of hitting big pulls would be even tougher. but i respect your opinion and thanks for contributing to the board!!!!
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

We all know of the mass exodus of users beckett has sent running with losing the full organize feature for free. I keep my card count below 100 myself and hang around even though the traffic is slow because I like the guys on this board and it is where I first started forum trading.

BUT, I have seen some of us "regular traders" on other forums much much more latley. The reason is because there is more trade action going on in those other forums. I usually give first shot to you guys here. But I have seen even beckett Mods on those other sites.

I am sure the baseball and football boards took a hit, but basketball has almost become stagnent and I am not sure if it can be revived here on beckett's forum.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

It Saddens me as well I've been using the other forums to get mavs stuffs there be someone in the football forum looking for a certain emmitt smith card I will have it and ask for mavs stuff but i would love to see more post in here

I have to agree, the Basketball board doesn't seem to be what it used to be and it also doesn't compare to the other boards. Part of that could be my fault as on the other boards there are stickies for PCs, Maildays, etc. In terms of that, I'd rather have more subforums. Basketball be the main one, where we discuss miscellaneous stuff (errors, stories, etc.), then Trading/Selling, Pack/Box/Case Breaks, Maildays, Product Releases, Collections, Shoutouts. But I've got to talk to them about making those forums.

One thing I did notice about the hobby, is that it does seem like people mainly use the basketball hobby for investment over actual collecting. If you look at eBay, you see a TON of basketball cards on there, but not nearly as many football, baseball, or hockey cards. And I don't understand it as there are only 12-15 players on each basketball team, and every other team has more. Maybe people breaking those sports are collecting more than selling. I don't know. I know when I did my last card show, everyone was looking to buy baseball and football. BARELY anyone wanted basketball. There were people who didn't have any basketball on their tables, but had it under their tables, because nobody ever asks for them.

I wouldn't say it's made me lose interest in the hobby, but at times it does get discouraging trying to find people on here to trade with. Especially when people who have a lot of stuff I need want football or baseball in return. Smile Also, I will say, on the football boards they do help each other out MORE, but there are still some awesome people who've helped me out and other, a lot. To name a few (not trying to leave anyone out, sorry if I do), evolb909 (just got a nice package from him the other day for nothing), nickm1123 (has sent me a few care packages), folkertino (got my address to send me a package), filamuraireborn (also got my address to send me a package), jdetter23 (sent me a nice free package), leadmetogreatness (always throws in some awesome extras), chaudhrysunny (always gives me a nice extra or two), mrhurtado17 (helps give me stuff for my Wings and Tigers PCs), taffster74 (always throws in extras for my Pistons PC or set needs), southpaugh (says he's sending me a package when he gets the time), bbills1999 (hasn't been around a while, but sent me quite a few packages, got me my first 1/1), dodgytrousers (sends me extras from time to time) and of course, toddap79 (sent me quite a few boxes and says he's sending more). There are some awesome members on here, even if they aren't as great in numbers.

Personally, I think for this forum to pick up, I don't think Beckett needs to lower their prices or anything of that sort, I think people need to be able to see the ease of this system and the benefits of using a system like this. That's why I'm glad they let some people use the Org with less than, or equal to, 100 cards. They can see how easy it is to organize their cards, find their cards, price their cards (if they have an OPG), find who has cards they need, etc. To me, this system simply does not compare to any other site. Yes, there are other sites that are trying to have the same tools, but they are a few years behind if you ask me. The only time I have a problem with having all of my cards here is that when I try to trade on another site, they aren't automatically taken out of my inventory. And if I'm working multiple trades between multiple sites, it gets very very difficult. That's why when on other sites, I ask them if they have a Beckett profile. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

I know it is depressing. I collect baseball football and basketball and I will go from board to board and post on numerous threads on the other two boards to come back to me being the last post here. Im all for more interaction over here, this board is DEAD. Sad
[Image: celts_reds_bengs_sig.jpg]
WHO-DEY

Mod Edit (XstreamINsanity): Don't get mad at me anyone, but actually discussing other sites on the boards is not something we're allowed to do. Especially since some of them have stolen proprietary data.

(06-27-2011, 03:43 PM)mrhurtado17 Wrote:

Mod Edit (XstreamINsanity): Don't get mad at me anyone, but actually discussing other sites on the boards is not something we're allowed to do. Especially since some of them have stolen proprietary data.

sorry man! i thought it was but then a while back i remember people doing it. kinda silly but i guess i understand.
[Image: bannernew.jpg]

See my bucket organized by sport and then by player or team: http://s174.photobucket.com/user/thump17er/library/Basketball%20Scans?sort=6&page=1

well hopefully we can keep the basketball board alive.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

i collect all three sports football basketball and baseball and to me the cards and technology for football cards seems to be WAY ahead of baskestball. there are very few multi color jerseys or patches i have seen out there for basketball compared to football. i do more of busting in football than any because honestely it is the best sport to watch. for basketball it seems like everyone is looking for MJ LBJ durant wade westbrook rose and those elite guys. you dont see many people going after the lesser names like JJ Redick guys like that. another reson im thinking of getting out of basketball was because the 2010/11 draft class was TERRIBLE and i dont see much future in this upcoming year except in Clay Thompson for golden state and the guy i believe justin harper going to the magic
Betts Hursh Kimbrel Smile

[Image: bd2740c1-d591-4332-b7b1-0528f205c994_zpsdbff6c02.jpg]

(06-27-2011, 04:34 PM)mcleodfive Wrote: i collect all three sports football basketball and baseball and to me the cards and technology for football cards seems to be WAY ahead of baskestball. there are very few multi color jerseys or patches i have seen out there for basketball compared to football. i do more of busting in football than any because honestely it is the best sport to watch. for basketball it seems like everyone is looking for MJ LBJ durant wade westbrook rose and those elite guys. you dont see many people going after the lesser names like JJ Redick guys like that. another reson im thinking of getting out of basketball was because the 2010/11 draft class was TERRIBLE and i dont see much future in this upcoming year except in Clay Thompson for golden state and the guy i believe justin harper going to the magic
mcleod i collect all sports, too and i totally disagree. football guys all collect the big names too and come on the football draft was no better at all.
[Image: bannernew.jpg]

See my bucket organized by sport and then by player or team: http://s174.photobucket.com/user/thump17er/library/Basketball%20Scans?sort=6&page=1

"Especially since some of them have stolen proprietary data."

OK, Xtreme

If you sell your data at a specific rate to all customers and someone buys that pricing data and does not sell it as "pricing data", but uses it to advertise a high price on their site that I think you have mentioned with your edit above. Does that mean because they are brodcasting that data, they are not operating within the copywrite laws? Private sellers and collectors do this all the time on ebay auction titles and descriptions.

FYI-There are some sites out there that sell cards and advertise the hi BV in the listing. I won't mention them.

There are also some very specific sites that list pricing for specific thing like say vintage Mickey Mantle cards, if they use the same pricing in your database, is that copywrite infingemnet?

Also, I have found another site that is mimicing beckett and that coveted database. ( Don't worry guys, it is actually more expensive than here on Beckett with less options as well. ) Now if Beckett pricing and the majority of pricing in both databases is the same, is that copywrite infringment since both database's are suppose to reflect the same market?

Since **T_ff St_ff** has gone under, how did Beckett handle that in the more popular magazine years, some of the pricing in both guides were the same sometimes back then? Becket really has a monopoly on the sports card pricing industry if they are the only ones that can price cards within the law.

Hope my personal edit above slides since that group has gone under.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!