`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What grade would this card get?

RE: What grade would this card get?
(06-23-2011, 08:52 PM)jconstein Wrote: Ive read articles online already about people sending old Tobacco cards "that they know are real" in for authentication and grading, and getting them back saying they are not authentic. Also read storys of fakes being authenticated. Its like, what company do you trust with Tobacco cards? lol
SGC
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

Looking at the card I would say its trimmed. Another way to tell is to scan the back of the card. If it is trimmed they will not grade the card. They will say authentic and mark it trimmed.

But looking at the card myself I would say its an old reprint, for Cobb should be slightly bigger than Detroit and they look the same size.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Send it off to SGC
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

(06-23-2011, 09:15 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Looking at the card I would say its trimmed. Another way to tell is to scan the back of the card. If it is trimmed they will not grade the card. They will say authentic and mark it trimmed.

But looking at the card myself I would say its an old reprint, for Cobb should be slightly bigger than Detroit and they look the same size.
I agree with this post. That right edge/border just looks trimmed to me. Also, and it might just be the way the photo is (camera/angle/in top loader/etc) but that coloring on the card compared to known legit copies looks off.

(06-23-2011, 09:36 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I agree with this post. That right edge/border just looks trimmed to me. Also, and it might just be the way the photo is (camera/angle/in top loader/etc) but that coloring on the card compared to known legit copies looks off.
I wish I could see what you and Wayne see Bill. I always have the hardest time trying to figure out older and newer cards that are fake. I have read some articles about how to do it but I still haven't narrowed it down yet to where I can REALLY tell. You guys must have a keen eye. I do know that coloring, edges and the way the card is made you can kind of tell the difference but still can't yet.

without getting into the particulars with a magnifying glass..
take a blacklight to it... if it glows it is fake.
I think it is fake... Cobb should be in a different font than detroit...
But it is hard to tell without the card in hand... The ink should be brown. the black border should be solid under magnification, not composed of dots. There are a lot more clues, but these are some of the easier ones to pick out.

example of an sgc, so you can see the name font difference.
[Image: 1910T206COBB-1.jpg]

(06-23-2011, 09:15 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Looking at the card I would say its trimmed. Another way to tell is to scan the back of the card. If it is trimmed they will not grade the card. They will say authentic and mark it trimmed.

+1 on that, I was thinking the same thing.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

Ah well. I got this card at a yard sale. It was mixed in with a pile of other cards. So no money was lost on my part. Sucks though, I would love to have a Cobb T206!

(06-24-2011, 11:00 AM)jconstein Wrote: Ah well. I got this card at a yard sale. It was mixed in with a pile of other cards. So no money was lost on my part. Sucks though, I would love to have a Cobb T206!
Yea prolly a beat up reprint meant to try a fake some one out.
(06-24-2011, 08:09 AM)jtulliakat0628 Wrote: I wish I could see what you and Wayne see Bill. I always have the hardest time trying to figure out older and newer cards that are fake. I have read some articles about how to do it but I still haven't narrowed it down yet to where I can REALLY tell. You guys must have a keen eye. I do know that coloring, edges and the way the card is made you can kind of tell the difference but still can't yet.
Just really a matter of experience. Looking at all the cards. Owning some of them. Just seeing so many over and over. Things start to pop out to you really quick. With Wanye's large collection of T206's, he has seen 100's. I would trust his opinion.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

I vote reprint as well
[Image: Gamecock_Banner.jpg]
**If you have under 35 feedback you send first**
http://s2.photobucket.com/home/jdubbs10/index